Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best Route through the Smokies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Best Route through the Smokies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I40. Period.
Lived in that area most of my life and spent untold hours on all those roads. Just watch for the semiyearly rockslide that narrows the interstate down to 1 lane for a month or so.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The smell of burned brakes is in the air constantly on 441 going over the mountain. If you are not well experienced in steep grade driving and using that exhaust brake and down shifting you will be in for a workout and possible a brake job by the time you are down the mountain. Its easy enough to head east on 321 and go over to 40. Do your sightseeing in the toad and take the DP over to 40 when you head out.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Then you still have to deal with 19 and it's ups/downs to Asheville.

Just follow US-441 on south a few miles to US-74. 4 lane to Asheville.

But I-40 would be a better choice.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

howdy35 wrote:

Looking for advice going from Gatlinburg to Ashville NC. Anyone made that trip and know of the best road? Is 441 across the Smokies any good for a Diesel Pusher with Toad? Planning for the summer-fall of 2020. Thanks for any advice. Arnold, Happy travels.

As a personal view driving in the Smokies will Test even the Best drivers - PERIOD.

Straight is not in the description of anything.

Can you, sure, either one but IMHO I-40 is just Crazy - the speed limit for trucks is set to the slowest truck driving as they are - for the most part - Restricted to the right lane, and most are doing well over 65 on a road designed for a Sports Car, if you dare to get into the Left lane you will be run over by the local traffic doing 75+.

I remember thinking that while I love a Challenge and I love to Drive this would not be Fun in the RV - Luckily I was in Really Nice New Truck (Brothers) and it was still a drivers drive.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that it is like Driving the Washington Beltway - At Rush Hour - with two lanes closed - Jersey walls on both sides - 11' lanes - at 75+ MPH.

So while RT 441 may be a challenge it will allow you to get out of the way and take the drive at a much more leisurely pace.

JMHO,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

441 isn't just a challenge is isn't very wide when you got crazy 4 wheeler s on both sides of switch backs. Relaxing I don't think so LOL.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Best Route through the Smokies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.