cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cargo light replacement bulb

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 GMC 3500 and I would like to replace the cargo light bulb with a brighter LED bulb.I would like to be able to get enough light to easily see the level on my pin box. Has anyone used a bulb that is a lot brighter than stock they recommend for this?
11 REPLIES 11

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased some LED lights for both my back up lights and cargo lights from Amazon. Great lighting compared to the original factory bulbs.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But as mentioned, a high mount cargo light may not be in the right spot to see what you're trying to see.
For that there are 100s of options you can use from installing under the rail cargo lights to little magnetic led work lights you can position anywhere you want since its for occasional use.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have you actually gone to an auto parts store and looked at bulbs? (Or online if you're the couch bound type).
There are LED replacements right there on the rack for virtually every bulb. And for like $5.99 + tax you can try one out vs pontificating.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
Look at RV and marine supply places for LED equals too.
Only issue I see, is will the light reach the level in such a way you can see it. A good old fashioned light bulb may still be best......
Dr LED us a brand with many bulb options.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Definitely go with an LED bulb. You'll probably have to look at the old bulb to see if it is in fact a 921 bulb or something different.

As far as the K value I personally don't like the color of 6000K LED's I find them to be way too glaringly white. So I always find LED's in the 3000K range as they more closely mimic an old school incandescent light.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is looking for ideas!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Kelvin to the light temperature of the light rays not the lumens of light output. 6000 kelvin is a blueish white appearing light and yes it appears somewhat very white but a single 921 LED has a quite low lumen level output. I have two LED 921'a in our range hood and it's just enough light to see clearly what's cooking 18" below. Perhaps a gang of 921's would broadcast enough light to actually see the black 5th wheel hitch 4 feet behind by using a shiny cone shaped reflector. Gobs of possibilities can be experimented with. Who knows, might come up with a real novel idea or even a patentable idea. Yankee ingenuity at work...
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
They do make some roughly 2.5" X about 6" interior overhead ceiling replacement light enclosures that seem to be sealed and possibly counld replace your cargo light fixture. I doubt if they would be UV protected plastic though. They are very bright and run very cool. Lots of LED's in them and draw so little amps. Could even use 2 or more of them mounted on nice looking light type bar using the OEM wiring.

Of note: Not to be used when not towing a light blocking trailer behind as there are laws prohibiting the use of bright white lights on the rear of vehicles. The driver behind's vision is dangerously compromised.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Auto parts list two lamps a 912 and 921.
A 921 LED lamp with the highest Kevlin level some where around 6000 will give you more light then incandescent.

O'Reilly's

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Likely you'd have to go to an LED (if you can find one to derectly replace with higher lumens output} VS the incandescent OEM bulb. A brighter Incandescent bulb would put out more to a lot more heat than the OEM original.

For instance: An OEM 1156 incandescent bulb will draw 30+ amps of 12V DC and get very hot, way too hot to touch, while an LED with the same lumen output will only draw about 5 amps and is only warm to the touch. The excessive heat produced inside by a higher lumen output bulb in the enclosure is your eenemy! Heat produces no lumens (lost energy consumption), but sure can produce a fire or the melting of the plastic enclosure. Not good!

The cargo light bulb like most other vehicle bulbs are usually trapped inside a small enclosure and a higher heat output could mean a fire or at a min a very short use life before bulb failure. Burn out so much quicker. Especially in hotter climates or in a hot summer elsewhere. Lumens is the measure of light output.

LED's even at double or triple the lumen output are so much cooler operating when on. Just a fraction of the heat produced by a same lumen output incandescent bulb and also last 10+ times as long before failure.

If you are handy and able, it's possible to install a different socket inside the cargo light enclosure so a 12V required LED with a much higher lumen output could be used. I had done this myself in2 of our 5th wheel basements and more than doubled the lumens.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
A bulb that is a LOT brighter might not be the best solution......IF it is positioned so that it shines in your eyes.
A little shield of some kind might be more effective, or both together.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"