Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Gald65

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back story-impulsively purchased a 2006 keystone 26tbl. Loaded weight about 7700 lbs. At that time towing with a 08 Sierra cc. Obviously not enough truck. Purchased a 11 Sierra Denali cc with the 6.2. It definitely does much better. It has plenty of motor but the handling leaves a little bit to be desired.
The question- eventually I plan on upgrading my trailer to something that has a loaded weight of around 8500 lbs. I know that I won’t be happy with the Denali. Is anyone out there towing that type of weight with one of the newer F150’s with the 13000lb configuration? Are you happy with the handling? Should I stop being a tight a$$ and get a 3/4 ton truck?
TIA

Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick answer: YES

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gald65 wrote:

Should I stop being a tight a$$ and get a 3/4 ton truck?
TIA

You are overdue.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure how the new lighter trucks are, but I towed 9,500 lbs several times a year with my old F150HD Ecoboost. Even towed on a few long trips through the Rockies. I loved that truck(especially tuned) and the only reason why I stepped up to a Ram 2500 CTD is because I got a trailer that is 14k fully loaded which is definitely the max I will ever want to go on trailer sizing.

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on you and what you want vs what you are willing to live with. Most of my 20 years towing RV have been with duallys, so I am used to no drama towing.

Last year we purchased a F150 max tow and a new smaller trailer. Its about 8,000 loaded. We did a 5000 mile trip last summer. It did wonderful but I have upgrades throughout the truck.

I have always upgraded shocks on every truck to the Bilstein 5100 series. This truck I added 10 ply E tires and a ride control air bag system. I also use an old Hensley Arrow hitch. The only problem that I had was in high winds when the Hensley Arrow hitch and the factory f150 sway control began fighting each other. Once I disabled the F150 sway control we had zero problems. My wife is very comfortable towing this combo and she believes it is one of the best combo's we have had.

Good luck, research you capacities and limits, and if you go decide on the HD platform, skip 3/4 and go to full ton SRW. No real penalties for the payload increase. I love the F150, but know that once the kids are gone, a truck camper is in my future, and I will go back to HD's again.

2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you need a bigger truck!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all most every time ,bigger is better.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed a 9,800 lb fifth wheel with our 2012 F-150 that I spec'd out and hand built. It had the MAX TOW package, which is easy to find, but I also had the HD pkg. installed. That combination is really hard to find, but it had more payload than the F250s sitting on the lot and it was a beast pulling that fifth wheel. After 50K miles, we started wondering how it would do in the long haul and we traded it for a 2017 Ford F-350 DRW 4X4 crew cab with the 6.7L diesel engine. We also upgraded campers to a 43' 14K lb one.

Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

As I said, the F150 handled it perfectly, but those trucks are very, very hard to find. You won't find one just sitting on a lot somewhere.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It still amazes me that people think a 5-6k lb half ton towing 10-11k lbs is absurd, but a 8-9k one ton towing 30+k lbs is perfectly acceptable. This is one reason why I think we need to get rid of terms like half tons and one tons because people place there expectations on what a half ton should tow in their mind rather than looking at the actual capabilities of the truck. To them it is perfectly fine that HD/SD trucks have increased tow ratings to absurd amounts over the years, but the half ton will always be good for towing less than 7k no matter how much they have been upgraded over the years.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM had has a 1500 with a high powered 6.2 motor in it. More HP torque than the 2509 model. Get the heavy payload tow option like mention Ford has, you'll be fine frankly with either truck.
Otherwise,yeah, get a 25 series.
I personally when I had 4 adult sized kids, 6509-700 lb trailer, generator, rack, canoe, 2 Alaska malamutes crated in the bed, needed a 3500 from a payload standpoint.
At the end of the day, which chassis is dependent upon your payload needs, then making sure you have enough power, trans gears etc for your performance needs.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.