Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

You are talking outliers who suggest you will be happy with 30k on a 1 ton. That is not the common response by a long shot.

On the other hand 7-9k on a 1/2 ton, is pretty commonly suggested as OK...if you spec it correctly.

Not here. It is common for the fanboys here to tout their brands 30k towing ability, and if you even insinuate that a 1 ton should not be towing that much then you get flamed. Trust me, it has happened to me on multiple threads in this forum.

Also, just look at the all the "you need a 3/4 or 1 ton" or "you need a bigger truck" responses in this thread just for an 8,500 lb trailer. Many people here only think that half tons are good as wife trucks or grocery getters without even looking at the specs and that if you are towing anything over 7k then you need an HD truck which is nonsense to me.

* This post was edited 01/19/20 08:17am by ShinerBock *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can tow 8500# with a properly equipped 1/2 ton not just any old 1/2 ton will due.
With that said for the most part any old 3/4 ton truck will do.
You can select the right 1/2 ton or you can get a 3/4 ton.
The cost of the 3/4 ton will likely be cheaper than the properly equipped 1/2 ton.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are finding reasons to be unhappy now, and are buying a larger trailer, the answer to your subject question "Will I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck" is a flat out no.

You won't get it out of your mind, and will always have that question lingering in your mind.

Mike

* This post was edited 01/19/20 08:35am by Walaby *

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually plan on going to a so-called 1/2T.
My TT maxes out at about 9400# and when I replace my truck, I want to use one of the new Diesels. At this point they're evolution is not where I want them to be but they are getting closer with every model year.
I look forward to the better fuel efficiency, ride and overall comfort of the "lighter" truck.

For 8500# it would be really close. If you don't tow over mountain passes all the time like I do, I think a properly equiped 1/2T would do fine.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM only puts the 6.2L on half tons, as, currently, the 6.2L does NOT have the duty cycle rating a HD requires

I don't provide "sure you can or not" advice.

As none of us advisers have any skin in YOUR setup...only the driver is held responsible

First decide if you, the OP, believes in your OEM's specification

If not, then go with whatever and/or follow the "sure you can" advice you are getting here

If yes, then gather all of the specifications of both your TV and trailer. Plus, go out and weigh axle be axle, it fully loaded. If you do not have one or the other or neither...use their published GVWR & GAWR as their maximum weights

Then do the simple math to figure it out

Use the trailers published tongue vs dry weight to get it's tongue percentage. It should be 12% ro 15%, but note that many trailer OEM's use a 10% tongue to fake out newbies into buying too much trailer

Then the WD setup. I've seen newbies lead in circles following contrary advice...

Bottpm line goal is to have the trailer level to slightly pointing down when done and the TV leveled as per the TV's manual

Good luck and post back on this thread on how it goes

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an F250 and we all know that they will get the job done. I haven't owned a late model F150 so I can't give you any advice on those other than what I have read. Listen to the people who have actually pulled with the F150. Their views are the ones that count.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^But then there's the folks who claim the aluminum beds on the new F150s make them too "light" and that's apparently a cause for making them tow really squirrely.

Bottom line, for the OP, based on the word "happy", tells me all I need to know about the OPs approach. He is not technically adept, nor has he towed a lot, and while his current truck will do the job safely ( provided its in good shape, being 9 years old, we don't know what condition the truck is in), the feeling of "happy" can only be achieved once a person "thinks" they've solved their dilemma.
So in this case, has nothing to do with brand of vehicle, or how it's equipped, but rather the stigma that this model is inadequate in some way.

Have to remember, the OP originally compared 2 of the same exact chassis trucks (08 and 11 GM) one with a presumably 5.3 4 speed and the other with the 6.2? 6speed.
Same truck, same chassis, one with more power than the other.
Now thinking similar chassis (new F150). Don't think it'll be his cup of tea either.

* This post was edited 01/19/20 11:36am by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^But then there's the folks who claim the aluminum beds on the new F150s make them too "light" and that's apparently a cause for making them tow really squirrely.

Bottom line, for the OP, based on the word "happy", tells me all I need to know about the OPs approach. He is not technically adept, nor has he towed a lot, and while his current truck will do the job safely ( provided its in good shape, being 9 years old, we don't know what condition the truck is in), the feeling of "happy" can only be achieved once a person "thinks" they've solved their dilemma.
So in this case, has nothing to do with brand of vehicle, or how it's equipped, but rather the stigma that this model is inadequate in some way.

Have to remember, the OP originally compared 2 of the same exact chassis trucks (08 and 11 GM) one with a presumably 5.3 4 speed and the other with the 6.2? 6speed.
Same truck, same chassis, one with more power than the other.
Now thinking similar chassis (new F150). Don't think it'll be his cup of tea either.

I take happy to mean satisfied and content vs.solving some dilemma.
Once upon a time when I had a bumper pull RV I was not happy until I towed with a Hensley Arrow. I did lots of adjustments and used a few other brands before spending the $$$ on the HA.
However I was satisfied and content with the performance of the HA.
Prior to the HA I was not happy with my towing experiences.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just fix the set up you have now. You have a very capable rig.

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe
Eureka Timberline 4
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All things engineered and designed are to a specification. That spec is the warranty from the OEM as to the capability of their product...that spec does have CYA fine print written by lawyers and service that clarifies
and sets conditions to that specification(s)

Capable for the times Mr Murphy crosses your path...to manhandle the situation

Either the driver has the properly sized, setup properly and the biggie...the driver has the talent (sometimes luck) spot on...or .not. There will be no time to purchase nor setup spot on

My advice is conservative to anyone asking, as if they have the knowledge/talent/etc...they wouldn't need to ask...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.