Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you’ll be just as happy as this guy!

[image]

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Assuming similarly outfitted...3/4ton isn't much moBut you can't get the 3.5 ecoboost & 10 speed transmission in a 3/4 ton; a superior combination when the truck is also a daily driver.

OP never questioned how it was as a daily driver. OP only questioned it's towing capability and cost.

A nice sedan would be even better as daily driver.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

[image]
This pic is worth a millon words.

The reason this is a never ending debate on this forum is that different people have different expectations as to their lashups performance.
This guy in the pic, obviously is at the low end of the chart.
I and others want to be at the high end.

The question for the OP is;;;;; Where do you want to be?

If you are asking, then I think you have your answer already.

As for the people suggesting a lighter weight TV as a "dual purpose" solution.... And getting offended by those that disagree.... Well this is a tow vehicle forum. What do you expect?

I am sure their are other places that discuss daily driver vehicles.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

[image]

We see that kind of stuff all the time in south Texas. Mexican's will buy junked RV's and vehicles, and tow them to Mexico down I-35. Along with scenarios like this, I have seen a sedan towing an F150 filled with a bunch of stuff in the bed and cab. Not once have I ever seen these guys get stopped by the cops. I am not sure if it is because they know they won't pay the fine anyways or they just don't care. This is why a laugh when people talk about getting pulled over for going over their trucks rated GVWR by a few hundred pounds because these vehicles go over them by thousands of pounds and never get stopped.

* This post was edited 01/20/20 07:35am by ShinerBock *

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

[image]

I’m sure the trailer brakes are working properly.[emoticon]

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Assuming similarly outfitted...3/4ton isn't much more than a 1/2 ton.
Depends on your definition of "isn't much more". I just bought a brand new 2019 F150 with max tow and HDPP. Cost $6,000 less then a similarily equipped F250. But then, that is going to depend on the incentives in play at the time of purchase. But in any event, I had been pricing trucks for over 2 years before I bought, the closest they ever came was about $500. Almost all the time, the F150 was at least $2,000 cheaper (when considering incentives). The difference in fuel mileage towing between the F250 i had and the new truck is about the same. As a daily driver, 3.5 ecoboost and 10 speed trans gets way better mpg (33% and up depending).
I even like the towing with my F150 better than the F250 I had. It's always in the right gear and the engine is just purring, simply because of the huge difference in the spread of the gears (4 vs. 10).

The window sticker on my truck was $53,100 (but I didn't pay anywhere near window sticker) and include XLT Crew Cab with $7,330 worth of options. Incentives were $8,250.00.

* This post was last edited 01/20/20 11:00am by bid_time *   View edit history

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shiner, good point, I haven’t lived in the SW for a while, but the endless trains of junkers pulling junkers to Mexico is further proof that no cop gives a rats arse of paw paw is 472.6lbs over his rawr or gvwr on his shiny GeeEmmCee Denouli.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

sako400

clovis ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a trailer that weighs 8500 loaded, I pulled it with a 97 f-350 powerstroke ( should of kept it) 05 f250 6.0 (money pit) and on both trucks it felt like the trailer was not even back there verey smooth towing. I needed more of a daily driver so purchase a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi E torque and 4:10 rear end. as far as power no issues but I had way more sway in the lighter truck, for my use only towing 4 times a year, I can live with the sway.

Sako400

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sako400 wrote:

I tow a trailer that weighs 8500 loaded, I pulled it with a 97 f-350 powerstroke ( should of kept it) 05 f250 6.0 (money pit) and on both trucks it felt like the trailer was not even back there verey smooth towing. I needed more of a daily driver so purchase a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi E torque and 4:10 rear end. as far as power no issues but I had way more sway in the lighter truck, for my use only towing 4 times a year, I can live with the sway.

You have setup issues if you have sway. Assuming the same trailer was towed behind the other trucks with no sway.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Sway = a little wiggle probably. Everyone's definition and sensitivity to the sensation of a trailer is differnet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.