Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Sway = a little wiggle probably. Everyone's definition and sensitivity to the sensation of a trailer is differnet.

That and not all half tons are made the same. Unlike the progressive rate coils on the 2500's, the linear rate coils on the Ram 1500 are soft compared to the suspension setups of the other two. I have a friend that tows his 6k trailer with hos Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. He could not stand the squat and sway with the stock coils and installed after market progressive rate coils from TufTruck. Unloaded ride got a little harsher, but loaded ride was way more stable and almost zero squat with his trailer hooked up even without the WDH hooked up.

The good thing for him is since he mainly only tows the trailer twice a year down to the cost in spring and buck up in the fall, he can very easily swap out the coils back to stockers when he is not towing. It literally only takes him about 10 minutes to swap.

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, my take on this could be the after coil suspension, and passenger tires all wrapped up in a lighter overall tv, that can cause sway in a high wind load combination.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

he can very easily swap out the coils back to stockers when he is not towing. It literally only takes him about 10 minutes to swap.

Impressive.... It takes me 10 minutes to get the jack out and the beer opened.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

^Sway = a little wiggle probably. Everyone's definition and sensitivity to the sensation of a trailer is differnet.

That and not all half tons are made the same. Unlike the progressive rate coils on the 2500's, the linear rate coils on the Ram 1500 are soft compared to the suspension setups of the other two. I have a friend that tows his 6k trailer with hos Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. He could not stand the squat and sway with the stock coils and installed after market progressive rate coils from TufTruck. Unloaded ride got a little harsher, but loaded ride was way more stable and almost zero squat with his trailer hooked up even without the WDH hooked up.

The good thing for him is since he mainly only tows the trailer twice a year down to the cost in spring and buck up in the fall, he can very easily swap out the coils back to stockers when he is not towing. It literally only takes him about 10 minutes to swap.

Ya, theres probably alot to be said for beefing up the rear suspension on the Ram 1500s. I like Rams and I wouldn't buy a newer 1500 if I was going to work the truck unless I planned on giving the suspension some help.

That said, the gentleman also said that he can live with it, meaning he likely understands sway and SWAY!
But then again, I consider it a decent tow if the trailer isn't trying to pass the truck!
For the OP, he either needs to gain more confidence in his rig, set it up better, understand how it reacts, or just over truck himself into a rock solid towing situation for peace of mind. Nothing wrong with that. I understand the luxury and virtues of having more truck than needed, but also understand that it's not always in the cards or necessary either.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sway could be side to side rocking, correct bars vs none helps. None even with CCab 3500 a 25' TT in windy conditions does this. Basic WD system less, dual can less yet. Would assume a Hensley even less.
Fish tail sway, uncontrollable like a fish tail, that is a set up issue. Tongue too high, too little hitch wieght, dual axles on trailer that are V'd or out of alignment, so trailer wants to go in circles .... Now one has to fix issue(s), then put safety bars

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 01:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I understand the luxury and virtues of having more truck than needed, but also understand that it's not always in the cards or necessary either.

One could look at seat belts the same way.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Quote:

I understand the luxury and virtues of having more truck than needed, but also understand that it's not always in the cards or necessary either.

Not really. Seatbelts are required by law. Having more truck than needed is only suggested by the weight police on RV forums.

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gald65 wrote:

Back story-impulsively purchased a 2006 keystone 26tbl. Loaded weight about 7700 lbs. At that time towing with a 08 Sierra cc. Obviously not enough truck. Purchased a 11 Sierra Denali cc with the 6.2. It definitely does much better. It has plenty of motor but the handling leaves a little bit to be desired.
The question- eventually I plan on upgrading my trailer to something that has a loaded weight of around 8500 lbs. I know that I won’t be happy with the Denali. Is anyone out there towing that type of weight with one of the newer F150’s with the 13000lb configuration? Are you happy with the handling? Should I stop being a tight a$$ and get a 3/4 ton truck?
TIA

As you can see in my sig I have 2 F-150s that I tow my 7200lb GVWR trailer with and have now for well over 50000 miles with these 2 trucks and both have been absolutely amazing doing so in every way. I have been all up and down the east coast through the mountains of PA, WV, and NC over and over again. My 18 F-150 has the 13k configuration you are talking about. Many naysayers here that have never towed with the new aluminum body say that the new aluminum body does not tow as well as the previous generation did well let me tell you that is an extreme FALSE statement as my 18 with the aluminum body is more stable than my 11 is.

Before I could answer your question completely I must know....

-How often will you be towing this future new to you 8500lb GVWR trailer?
-What will be the total length of the new trailer? As this plays more of a rule in towing than the extra 800lbs of weight does?
-Would this new truck be your daily driver also?
-What would be total weight of passengers and gear in the truck while towing?

I will say if it were going to be your daily driver that you also use it as a tow vehicle say 3000 miles a year I would stick with the half ton and forget the 3/4 ton on one condition. I would go to Ford and order a F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, Max tow package, and HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (HDPP)...that HDPP is key I would say for any half ton towing any travel trailer over 8K as you will need the added payload that package provides you. Without the payload package on avg a crew cab will have around 1700-1800lbs of available payload. With the HDPP you will be up around 2300-2400lbs of available payload.

Others will say well you can get a same equipped 3/4 ton for the same price as the F-150...that is complete BS as the incentives on the 150 are always a lot more than the 250 are. When I shopped the last 2 times for a truck the same equipment in both trucks same sticker price the 150 was 10k cheaper out the door in the end and if a daily driver that will net you better fuel economy also at around 33% better.

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Quote:

Not really. Seatbelts are required by law. Having more truck than needed is only suggested by the weight police on RV forums.

It's not man's law, But the laws of physics that leads one to use a beefier truck for towing.
The idea that you can't have too much truck but you can suffer from not enough truck is rooted in physics laws not laws of the courts.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can have too much truck, and the laws of physics says you can't fit a long wheel base DRW truck in the sames spaces as a short wheel base half ton. Laws of physics also says you aren't going to get as good of fuel economy in a gaser 3/4 and 1 ton when unloaded as a daily driver compared to a gaser half ton. Gaser 3/4 tons average around 11-12 mpg on fuelly while gaser half tons generally get around 16-17 mpg. Laws of physics also says that the heavier gas 3/4 and 1 ton will be much slower and have less performance than gaser half tons especially at elevation when compared to the turbocharged half tons like the Ecoboost. An Ecoboost would easily be able to hold speed with power to spare towing 10k above 5,000 ft while a 3/4 and 1 ton gaser would have trouble barely being able to keep speed if it is even able to do it at all.

So yeah, you can have too much truck when all things are considered and not just the amount of weight a truck can carry. Most people base their opinions on outdated terminology because that is how half tons were 20 or 30 years ago when they had one. They don't even know the actual specs of the truck they are talking about becuase brakes on half tons have gotten much larger, frames have gotten stronger, axle systems are able to carry more and so on than the half tons of 20 or 30 years ago.

I would also ask those who say a half ton cannot or should not tow 10k, when the last time they towed 10k with a properly equipped half ton that was less than 5 years old. If they haven't, then do they really have any validity to say a modern half ton can't or shouldn't do it? Get a 3/4 or 1 ton because you want one. It will be more stable with weight than a half ton, but you don't need it to tow 8,500 lbs or even 10k and it may not be the best choice when ALL things are considered in how the vehicle will be used. It may very well be too much truck.

* This post was last edited 01/23/20 07:06am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.