Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Hence why I do not trust tow specs from manufactures. Even the new everybody is supposed to meet tow specs, are too easy to meet in some ways. A min 12%grade pull in first gear! I can name multiple roads steeper than this that one would stall out on! Min speed of 40mph on a 5% freeway grade, 35moh if over 15000gvwr truck. Some on here would poop bricks going that slow. If I can't go up a 30% grade and start on a 30% grade I poop bricks.
Know what ratings mean, how they effect you, and reduce accordingly!

Narty

I'm guessing most people will never pull their camper up a 30% grade.

Shiners post about doing away with the old 1/2-3/4-1ton ratings is spot on. Nothing fits those molds anymore.

The axle and weight ratings are really where it's at to figure out what meets your needs.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

blt2ski wrote:

Hence why I do not trust tow specs from manufactures. Even the new everybody is supposed to meet tow specs, are too easy to meet in some ways. A min 12%grade pull in first gear! I can name multiple roads steeper than this that one would stall out on! Min speed of 40mph on a 5% freeway grade, 35moh if over 15000gvwr truck. Some on here would poop bricks going that slow. If I can't go up a 30% grade and start on a 30% grade I poop bricks.
Know what ratings mean, how they effect you, and reduce accordingly!

Narty

Shiners post about doing away with the old 1/2-3/4-1ton ratings is spot on. Nothing fits those molds anymore.

The axle and weight ratings are really where it's at to figure out what meets your needs.

I know that I am towing at the limit for my truck but the only places that I have used 4wd low range were paved roads getting to peoples houses. So how steep of hill you will climb may depend on your neighborhood.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 15%grades in Yellowstone. 18%grade in the front of my sister's house. A few local boat Ramos are that steep. Assuming these are what you may be going up or down, do you want bare minimum, a bit steeper you literally stall out? Or some percentage higher? Hence my 30%grade number.
Altho I did out in a set of stairs along a driveway a few years back. 6" rise, 18" run, so 33%grade for over 100'! I know of a block on Queen Anne avenue on north side that is 25%.
IF you have any chance as I do to drive around on these steeper grades, the min 12% grade that current spec calls for is 200% of max freeway grade. Hence why some have to go into 4lo to move trailer. They would could not do it, ie stalked out their rig in red! I stalked out my dmax once. Glad I had 4lo, pulling 12k equipment!
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

^ Probably not, but that's Marty's thing. How steep a hill can he dead start a load on is one of his primary criteria for determining a truck's ability.
I don't think 1/2 or 3/4 ton is even perceived as a rating. Anyone who doesn't know that it's a general term used to describe the class of truck and has absolutely nothing to do with how much it can haul in the bed won't benefit from a name change anyway. Who cares. It's like believing that if it isn't Kleenex brand, you an't blow your nose with it.

This thread was about the OP's perception of the ability of himself and his truck towing his trailer. Although it's strayed pretty far from that by now.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A few local boat Ramps are that steep.

I gotta know where these are....

Maybe we can all get together and watch people back their TTs into the lake...
This sounds like fun... I will bring a 100 QT cooler of beer to share with my RV net friends.
[emoticon]

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Quote:

This sounds like fun... I will bring a 100 QT cooler of beer to share with my RV net friends.
[emoticon]

Renton Was, south end of lake Washington, shilshoal bay marina, Puget sound. Many folks with RVs tow and have boat trailers too! Its real nice to have a steep ramp, especially if your trailer has an extendable tongue, and a boat that needs to float off and on, because you can not use rollers and a winch.
Tow ratings do not just entail pulling RV trailers. Boats, equipment traikers, snow mobiles etc.
What or how you expect a tow rig to do, are your performance ratings or specs. If you don't have to dead start on steeper grades as I do, oh well. Different trailers require diffent power specs, even if the same weight. HP needs cab vary by 30% vs base setup ratings start at.
Ask folks that deliver trailers best mph. A non slide smooth walk 5w. Worst, aluminum sided TT. A heavier smooth sided TT same floor plan, nets better mph! Les HP needs
Garbage trucks spec sn 80%gradabiluty, that's 40degrees. Some 100%ir more is needed depending upon task.
My performance specs are harder to meet than Detroit engineer specs.
Marty

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Quote:

[emoticon]

This is a street where I grew up, it's a 28% grade. A 4WD truck can get hung up if you stop when its just wet if you have the wrong skins.

The big thing was, and probably still is, to run up it when it had about 6" of snow on it. You needed to have a manly set of em as the running start required was brutal when you hit the bottom of the slope. I made it once with an International Scout. I made it halfway once in a 68 Bronco, the sideways slide back down was interesting.

[image]

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Although it's strayed pretty far from that by now.

Of course. Any thread subject that contains "Can I tow" or "half ton" in the title tends to do that. [emoticon]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Quote:

[emoticon]

This is a street where I grew up, it's a 28% grade. A 4WD truck can get hung up if you stop when its just wet if you have the wrong skins.

The big thing was, and probably still is, to run up it when it had about 6" of snow on it. You needed to have a manly set of em as the running start required was brutal when you hit the bottom of the slope. I made it once with an International Scout. I made it halfway once in a 68 Bronco, the sideways slide back down was interesting.

[image]

Are you suggesting trucks should be rated based on this criteria?

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/20 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can speak as one who has recently gone to a CTD from an ED. Towing approx 8klbs in mountainous western regions and cross country with a ATC 28 front bedroom. Going on 3 years with this set up. Ill keep it simple.

No comparison. I pass on passes, enjoy the scenery coming down, and much more relaxed at the end of the day. Heavy cross winds and long grades are a distant bad memory. I would never go back to a half ton again with this coach anyway.

Speaks volumes gents, the ED did it, but this puppy does it so much easier.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would I ever be happy towing with a half ton truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.