cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto slider or manual

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
My new truck has a 6' 8" bed and I have a 2018 Rockwood FW. I understand the functional differences between an auto slider vs a manual slider, but was wondering how often I need it to slide. I vision myself being in a small town and need to make a sharp corner and I need to stop traffic to get out of the truck and let my manual slider slide. Am I being realistic/crazy?
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 34' 8"
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)
16 REPLIES 16

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your information.
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)

Explorer II
Explorer II
If your 2018 Rockwood has a rounded front cap, do you even need a slider? I realized AFTER installing a Pullrite I didn't need a slider. I have replaced the Pullrite with a manual slide Reese and have not needed to slide it back since installed 5 years ago. I will say I tried backing up with the manual hitch slid back and it is easier to back up with the hitch back towards the tailgate.

The Pullrite was a PITA to deal with. More times than not it would not disconnect.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
I have a manual slider and in the last 18 years of towning I've only had to use it one time.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of a slider why not one of those " orbitol " pin boxes that rotate at the rear instead of the kingpin. My buddy uses one on a short bed Ford .

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
In general traffic I doubt you would ever need a slider with todays cut corner cap fifth wheels. Maybe when backing in a tight site but I try my best not to cut super sharp anyway because of the twisting and scrubbing it does to the fifth wheel tires. But every fifth/truck combo is different, as for me I have plenty of room.

I do however have a manual B&W slider and the only reason I have one is because I have a steep hill I have to back down to get to the barn and this provides a steeper angle without hitting the tailgate when backing down. Hope that made sense.

Had a Pullrite auto slider for about 5 years on a previous fifth wheel years ago and to be honest I didn't really care for it. I had too many times where I had to separate the head from the rest of the unit just to unhitch plus I was always cleaning and greasing the slide bars. Plus in my situation it wouldn't work for my needs.

Dan

This is my exact situation as well. My driveway is steep and I need to slide back to keep the underside of the 5th overhang from clipping the tailgate.

Also, I generally don't care for things that are "automatic" as it seems they are always "automatically" doing something I don't want them to do and can't stop it. Besides, manually sliding the hitch back is not exactly technical or physically demanding.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
spud1957 wrote:
smithrhjr wrote:
spud1957 Pullrite and B&W do not have auto sliders for the 2020 chvey YET. They are working on it, but no timeline.

He does not have the hitch pucks as stated in his other closed thread.

And as I have said in both threads, that should be his first step to install them and have someone install them.

I installed the OEM ones in our 2015 RAM. The bed had to be raise one side at a time to drop them in the frame saddles. Took 4 hours including the 7 pin outlet in the bed, working by myself. With two people it would have gone much faster. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
smithrhjr wrote:
spud1957 Pullrite and B&W do not have auto sliders for the 2020 chvey YET. They are working on it, but no timeline.

He does not have the hitch pucks as stated in his other closed thread.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Pay me now or pay me later.

Body and glass repair mid trip is not fun.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I said in the other thread. First install the pucks or have someone install them for you. Then get the puck mounted hitch of your choice.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
In general traffic I doubt you would ever need a slider with todays cut corner cap fifth wheels. Maybe when backing in a tight site but I try my best not to cut super sharp anyway because of the twisting and scrubbing it does to the fifth wheel tires. But every fifth/truck combo is different, as for me I have plenty of room.

I do however have a manual B&W slider and the only reason I have one is because I have a steep hill I have to back down to get to the barn and this provides a steeper angle without hitting the tailgate when backing down. Hope that made sense.

Had a Pullrite auto slider for about 5 years on a previous fifth wheel years ago and to be honest I didn't really care for it. I had too many times where I had to separate the head from the rest of the unit just to unhitch plus I was always cleaning and greasing the slide bars. Plus in my situation it wouldn't work for my needs.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would never get a manual slider. I am happy with my B&W in my short box but if I was worried about hitting my back window I would go autoslide.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the factory puck system, you may not need a slider. It appears GM may have addressed this issue when designing the new truck. They installed a longer bed plus they put the gooseneck ball 2" behind the axle centerline for additional cab clearance. I have observed this truck with a puck mounted B&W hitch and the owner had set it up so that the jaws were over the gooseneck mount. You may want to measure the ball to cab clearance and see how it jives with your trailer.

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
16 worry free years on a 16K Pullrite Superglide.

Do it right the first time and enjoy the ride.:)

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B