Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Auto slider or manual
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Auto slider or manual

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smithrhjr wrote:

spud1957 Pullrite and B&W do not have auto sliders for the 2020 chvey YET. They are working on it, but no timeline.

He does not have the hitch pucks as stated in his other closed thread.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

smithrhjr wrote:

spud1957 Pullrite and B&W do not have auto sliders for the 2020 chvey YET. They are working on it, but no timeline.

He does not have the hitch pucks as stated in his other closed thread.

And as I have said in both threads, that should be his first step to install them and have someone install them.

I installed the OEM ones in our 2015 RAM. The bed had to be raise one side at a time to drop them in the frame saddles. Took 4 hours including the 7 pin outlet in the bed, working by myself. With two people it would have gone much faster. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

In general traffic I doubt you would ever need a slider with todays cut corner cap fifth wheels. Maybe when backing in a tight site but I try my best not to cut super sharp anyway because of the twisting and scrubbing it does to the fifth wheel tires. But every fifth/truck combo is different, as for me I have plenty of room.

I do however have a manual B&W slider and the only reason I have one is because I have a steep hill I have to back down to get to the barn and this provides a steeper angle without hitting the tailgate when backing down. Hope that made sense.

Had a Pullrite auto slider for about 5 years on a previous fifth wheel years ago and to be honest I didn't really care for it. I had too many times where I had to separate the head from the rest of the unit just to unhitch plus I was always cleaning and greasing the slide bars. Plus in my situation it wouldn't work for my needs.

Dan

This is my exact situation as well. My driveway is steep and I need to slide back to keep the underside of the 5th overhang from clipping the tailgate.

Also, I generally don't care for things that are "automatic" as it seems they are always "automatically" doing something I don't want them to do and can't stop it. Besides, manually sliding the hitch back is not exactly technical or physically demanding.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of a slider why not one of those " orbitol " pin boxes that rotate at the rear instead of the kingpin. My buddy uses one on a short bed Ford .

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a manual slider and in the last 18 years of towning I've only had to use it one time.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your 2018 Rockwood has a rounded front cap, do you even need a slider? I realized AFTER installing a Pullrite I didn't need a slider. I have replaced the Pullrite with a manual slide Reese and have not needed to slide it back since installed 5 years ago. I will say I tried backing up with the manual hitch slid back and it is easier to back up with the hitch back towards the tailgate.

The Pullrite was a PITA to deal with. More times than not it would not disconnect.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

smithrhjr

Westminster USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your information.

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 34' 8"
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Auto slider or manual
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.