Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford Starting /House Charging Question UPDATE Test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ford Starting /House Charging Question UPDATE Test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Perhaps it would achieve the same thing if the solenoid's ignition wire got its power directly from the alternator"

My idea there would work for me, but wouldn't for those with the rocker switch jumper

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not come off the alternator. I would look for a circuit that is hot in run such as wipers, radio heater and the like. Use a fuse tap from fuse block. Some rigs have fuse block under hood with switched power.
My reasoning is if something happen in alternator tap, you could have damage to charging system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't burn the points
But you can drain the battery, by having power to circuits that would otherwise be turned off

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2019 Ford C the charge isolator relay is under the coolant overflow bottle. It has a delay built in so the engine has to be running for about 20 seconds before it ties the chassis battery and house bank together. The manual explains it needs to see charging voltage >13.6V on the engine side which starts the 20s timer. Any time voltage on the engine side drops below 13.6 it will untie the batteries and wait for 13.6 again to restart the timer. You can hear this click from the driver's seat after starting the engine. Emergency start switch bypasses this delay.

Patrick

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PatJ wrote:

On my 2019 Ford C the charge isolator relay is under the coolant overflow bottle. It has a delay built in so the engine has to be running for about 20 seconds before it ties the chassis battery and house bank together. The manual explains it needs to see charging voltage >13.6V on the engine side which starts the 20s timer. Any time voltage on the engine side drops below 13.6 it will untie the batteries and wait for 13.6 again to restart the timer. You can hear this click from the driver's seat after starting the engine. Emergency start switch bypasses this delay.

From a post in thread in another forum that I linked earlier:

"I run a dumb solenoid wired to come on with the ignition (not a fancy IBS system - which is just a dumb solenoid with a little brain to decide when to energize the solenoid). Done deal"

So the 2019's come with an IBS OEM?

EDIT--how is that 20 sec delay better than just waiting for the spring-loaded key to go back to "ON" from "START" ?

* This post was edited 01/20/20 07:09pm by BFL13 *

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

how is that 20 sec delay better than just waiting for the spring-loaded key to go back to "ON" from "START" ?

If the house batteries are very low, it may be nice to have the engine settle back for a bit after a cold start before it's hit with that large charging load. But I don't know if it's actually any "better" or just my perception.

But if for some reason the chassis were placing a heavy load on the charging system and it dropped below 13.6, the charge relay would shed the house batteries to focus on the chassis. I can see value in that scenario, even though it is unlikely.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the main thing is to "know your rig", which you have done. Then you can adapt to whatever happens with the set-up you have. Also tells you what changes you might need to the OEM set-up if you have a scenario not covered.

If you are running normally at just over 13.6 once the alternator warms up etc, then if you power an inverter from the engine battery, that could bring it below 13.6 loaded voltage and now no "alternator charging" to the house side.

Some MHs have inverters that operate from the engine batt (ISTR to run the overhead TV above the cab)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a one way isolator.. Trick-l-start device provides the other way.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ford Starting /House Charging Question UPDATE Test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.