Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping Lights
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping Lights

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can someone explain the fascination with lights on an RV to look like a Christmas tree?? I'm seeing more and more with front cap lights on, under body lights, lights in tree around camp, rope lights on the ground, lights from the awnings, porch lights on. Last week saw one with all the running & tail lights on all night. I know I can't be the only one sees this as annoying.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This probably started a few years ago with the invention on those cheap, color changing LEDs. We tried the color changing LED strip light under the awning for a few seasons. I was more curious to see if a certain color light was easy on the eye but drew the least amount of bugs while we sat outside.

Not sure what the issue is with leaving a porch light on, it's not like a directional flood light. It's an amber, low watt light that helps the occupants see those black steps when they enter the camper at night. But I'll agree that if you are in the camper for the night, the lights should go off.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added under body lights so can see to walk around at night without shining lights at my neighbors. Turn them off when we go in. Don't understand why some folks leave the LED lights on their front cap turned on all night long. Our porch light puts out maybe 10 lumens of amber light. We leave it on when we are willing to accept visitors. Gets turned off when we go to bed.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many feel more secure with a outside light but you can see better without. Similar to many campers hearing something outside so they turn on an inside light. Irrational fear of the dark.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a motion sensing porch light that will illuminate the pad area if anyone moves whithin its sight. Otherwise t is dark. If we are outside, sometimes have a string of rope lights on the ground around the pad, but they get turned off early.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea, but the plethora of lights is really annoying. I like the dark, and some of these RV parks are brighter than my neighborhood. There's the under-the-trailer light ropes, the front model designation LED lights, the flood lights, the front door lights, the under-the-awning lights, the under-the-trailer LED lights. Seems like more every year, I honestly have no idea what the fascination is with making the outside brighter than the inside.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer the dark, but I do like a small ground light to mark my door and steps, because it's hard to see sometimes.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree...kinda ridiculous.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our under led awning lights and a set of string lights attached to the awning tube. Under awning lights go off at night when we turn in and the string light not bright to begain with is turned way down with a dimmer switch so they give just enough light to see to walk. Others that use a lot of lights don't really bother me that much unless there shinning right at us and I will tell them when they do to dim them or turn them off.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread gave me some good ideas about adding extra lights to a campsite.
Now, can someone tell me how to make all of them flash? [emoticon]

I like the dark and I don't understand why some people want a campsite to look like Las Vegas.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping Lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.