Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Question about removing black tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question about removing black tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

I have seen a few rental RVs set up this way at private CGs. Yes, they just run a sloping plastic pipe, until reaching the sewer.

Jerry

That's exactly what I hope to do. Thanks for the response.

importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whereyoumakeit wrote:

There are some good repair shops up in the Western NC area. I've personally used these guys before and had a great experience: https://keepcampingrvrepair.com/

Here are some good toilet options as well: https://whereyoumakeit.com/rv/best-rv-toilet/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response and link. I looked at their site and we're outside of the radius that they say they cover. Plus, if I'm still physically able, I'd like to try to do it myself to save a few bucks. Thanks again.

importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

whereumakeit, most folks that do this is to get rid of the RV toilet and put in a residential pottie.

Correct. That's what I plan to do as well. Thanks!

importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

I wonder if there is room between the toilet, and black tank to install a bypass that could be undone if you decided to sell later.

A very good point. I'm gonna check into that and see if it can be done. I'm thinking it may be possible since the toilet doesn't sit directly on top of the tank like in did in my travel trailer I had previously. Actually, the down pipe from the toilet is pretty long and it makes a 90 Deg turn a little ways down. In fact I have one of those whirly bird cleanout tools that has about 2-2.5 feet of flexible hose and another 2 ft of stiff plastic and when I run it down in there it uses up almost all of it before I get to what I think is the tank. I may just be able to route past the tank and just leave it in place. Thanks for the idea.

importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another concern I have about this is that the toilet in the rv doesn't have a tank on it and I'm afraid the hole through the floor is too close to the wall behind it for a residential toilet to match up with it. I'd hate to have to figure a way to move that hole forward and fill the original one. Anyone done this or have any ideas about that?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll have to measure.
The standard distance from the back wall to the center of the flange is 12.0" min.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the tank isn't sealed up in the underbelly (Ie, you can get to the tank without disassembling a lot of stuff), it shouldn't be a major project.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

importman

Lake City,SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

As long as the tank isn't sealed up in the underbelly (Ie, you can get to the tank without disassembling a lot of stuff), it shouldn't be a major project.

I think that's probably the biggest issue I'll face. This is one of those 4 season models that's got the underbelly completely enclosed and (I think) insulated, so you can enjoy it in cold weather. I really dread removing the undercover to see what's required. Thanks for the response.

rollexx

Vancouver, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might not have to remove the whole underbelly material if it’s what I have under mine. Mine is a corrugated plastic material. When I had a broken remote dump valve line repaired they just cut a flap in the underbelly and then taped it back up. No problem.
You would just have to cut a bigger flap to expose the tank. Shouldn’t be that difficult to remove tank. Hooking up new sewer line would be easy. Only issue would be the hole and if new toilet would match up. If not, perhaps one of those old fashion wall mounted tanks if wall could support it.

Memphisdoug

Memphis, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you planning to remove the grey tank(s) also or do you plan to continue dumping them on a regular basis?

2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question about removing black tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.