cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer Pipe Question

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
When flushing my toilet, I glanced down the pipe and saw some kind of off white gel like substance growing on the pipe. I took a stick and then a brush and scraped it off.
Now about a month later, same thing. Any ideas what it may be or what is causing it?
19 REPLIES 19

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
No odor. Hard to get prolonged contact in the vertical pipe where the issue is. Will try filling to the top and see what happens.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yuk - tp goes in the toilet and regular septic safe paper is fine. Generous water when you flush and you are good. Been full-time 10 years with no sewer issues. Don't need a deodorizer if you use water. If you are smelling something, then you have a bad seal, don't use enough water when you flush, or have the overhead fan on pulling the odor inside.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If the water is contaminated with bio or viral organism, those filters may not do anything. But, if your getting water from an approved source, it may be nothing more than some contaminant that got in and found a nice spot to take up residence. Could be a crevice, on a seal, in some nook or cranny and no mater how many times you poke and brush, it's little offsprings are surviving.

The solution is regular toilet bowl cleaner with a disinfectant that's allowed to get into all the spots some microscopic left over bio-mutant-icky is lingering and kill it. There are also those RV black tank chemicals that also have a bowl cleaner built in, but you really want the stuff you use to stay around long enough to do the job. Just filling a bowl with cleaner and flushing it down doesn't ensure it's got into all the spots on it's way to the black tank.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
The water should not be too bad. It goes through a sediment filter, then a softener and finally a carbon filter. However , I will get it tested when I get a chance.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Kountryguy wrote:
When flushing my toilet, I glanced down the pipe and saw some kind of off white gel like substance growing on the pipe. I took a stick and then a brush and scraped it off.
Now about a month later, same thing. Any ideas what it may be or what is causing it?

It could be Denaturing Gradient Gel Electrophoresis which is very common in drains but often so small it goes unnoticed since it's usually out of sight. Removal is simply by cleaning or using one of the commercial biofilm removers. But since you mentioned it reoccurring in only a month, either you have or are using some polluted/contaminated water in the RV or someone using the toilet is on certain RX's that are known to promote DGGE if it comes into contact with bad water. Since you mentioned it was only in the toilet, that rules out the more common causes as it's far more common in regular bathroom sink drains. I would start with testing the water to see how grungy it really is.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I might skip breakfast this morning. . . . . ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Is it the same fatty substance that accumulates on those see through drain pipes and that lines the tank walls if not thoroughly flushed?
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Are you putting proper chemicals in the black tank like โ€œhappy campersโ€.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mushroom is my guess too. Keep knocking it down

NOTE nothing wrong with cleaning the toilet with common toilet bowl cleaners. This too may knock it down.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
The next time add some bleach to your brush before doing the scraping. That should get rid of the slime for good.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really want to know you will need to pull it up instead of push it down.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Using a tank treatment, one of the digester ones, TP goes in a can.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My guess is toilet paper that is growing some sort of fungus. Just a guess. But are you using RV TP or regular household TP? And any tank treatment?