Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: DirecTV or Dish
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DirecTV or Dish

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob_nestor wrote:

I've had both DirecTV and DishTV and own the receivers I have. Over the years I'd switch back and forth because of pricing changes. But I've pretty much stopped doing that after my last switch back to DishTV. Other than the constantly escalating prices the things I like about Dish at home and on the road are: at home I get the HD channels at no extra cost, I get most of my locals at no extra cost and I can integrate most of my remaining local stations with a simple antenna attachment. On the road I can use DishAnywhere without the need for an extra receiver, dish setup or monthly payment - all I need is a network connection and my Mobley works fine for that in most places. This setup allows me to stream all my local channels including the ones I can only get from my home antenna, and all my Dish channels. I use a FireTV Stick in the RV do do this and that also gives me access to a bunch of other free content.

This is the part I am very interested in... I think you can do the same with DirecTV... When you get away from your home may be the real problem to deal with??? I suspect DISH is better at this than DIRECTV...

I picked up one of those $88 PHILLIPS 24-inch smart TV's from Walmart and can watch al kinds of internet based things.. great picture and sound...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

haddy1

Chesterfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps one of you Dish users can confirm that Dish Anywhere will allow me to see anything on my home DVR from any location. That is to say that if I am in Florida, I can watch something recorded on my DVR in Missouri as long as I have an internet connection.

That feature might be worth giving up NFL Sunday Ticket.

2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dish has been our provider for several years. Extremely satisfied with our ability to boondock and still watch college football when Michigan and/or Notre Dame are playing.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP is gone

Cottontop

State of WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP is not gone i have read everthing that has been posted and i want to thank everyone for there input.

1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

haddy1 wrote:

Perhaps one of you Dish users can confirm that Dish Anywhere will allow me to see anything on my home DVR from any location. That is to say that if I am in Florida, I can watch something recorded on my DVR in Missouri as long as I have an internet connection.

That feature might be worth giving up NFL Sunday Ticket.

Until a few minutes ago I was sitting in our motorhome just over the Florida line St Marys, GA watching the local news from the Hopper w/Sling at our upstate NY family cottage with DishAnywhere on our FireTVstick. When the national news came on, I switched to the Hopper w/Sling in the motorhome and the Jacksonville, FL locals. Because we're getting the locals here, our NY Hopper does not get the sat locals at all, only getting the NY locals OTA. Other than that, we can watch anything on the NY Hopper just as if we were there. When we're on the road between parks, we frequently have the NY Hopper record programs so we can view them later with DishAnywhere.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

haddy1 wrote:

Yes you can. However, both your home DVR (aka a Hopper) and your RV iPad or whatever must be connected to fast Internet connections . . . and this connection with burn up a ton of data.

BTW, when your home Hopper and your receiving device are both on the same WiFi network, then no broadband data is used.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cottontop wrote:

DirecTV has stopped supporting my receiver so I am thinking about going to dish. Give me some feed back on this subject. I can't get DirecTV to send me the new receiver.

Go streaming and junk the satellite dish..

satellite bill approves this message..

[emoticon][emoticon]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Cottontop wrote:

DirecTV has stopped supporting my receiver so I am thinking about going to dish. Give me some feed back on this subject. I can't get DirecTV to send me the new receiver.

Go streaming and junk the satellite dish..

satellite bill approves this message..

[emoticon][emoticon]

Sometime it makes sense. We are currently in Athens, GA and there is no "English" OTA TV available so I can't watch the local news. I found an Atlanta ABC app on my Firestick and I stream the morning and evening news for a 1/2 hour and then switch back to satellite.
Free streaming of a limited amount will keep your limited unlimited data happy. timmac has a truly unlimited plan and pays well for the streaming services he use so free is never free!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cottontop wrote:

OP is not gone i have read everthing that has been posted and i want to thank everyone for their input.
I guess you missed my question.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DirecTV or Dish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.