Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford V10 vs Pending V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Ford V10 vs Pending V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
brianjwilson

Lincoln City, Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been watching this as well, it is tempting to wait. Even in the explorer and ranger, the OHV engines performanced so much better IMO than the high revving SOHC engines that’s followed. I had an e350 v10 with 5 speed torque shift and it got the job done, but you get tired of the engine screaming all the time. The idea of a monster v8 and six speed is certainly appealing. Big second alternator, lots of solar and lithium batteries. Low end torque for days. You guys go ahead and buy the remaining V10s mkay?

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a word of caution from an ex Ford employee. Years ago it was usually a bad idea to buy the first generation of anything new. I'm not saying Ford hasn't improved over the years, but, IMO, it's a good idea to let Ford work the bugs out. (in the field) Time eventually heals almost everything. Think: popping spark plugs on the first gen V10. Failed COP coil packs. Timing chain tensioners. Phasers. The list goes on. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Chum lee

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look in the class A forum now, there is a post by Timmac with a youtube video of a towing test with the new V8. Spoiler alert, the gas mileage sucks.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Just a word of caution from an ex Ford employee. Years ago it was usually a bad idea to buy the first generation of anything new. I'm not saying Ford hasn't improved over the years, but, IMO, it's a good idea to let Ford work the bugs out. (in the field) Time eventually heals almost everything. Think: popping spark plugs on the first gen V10. Failed COP coil packs. Timing chain tensioners. Phasers. The list goes on. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Chum lee

Great advice and true. If you look at most new products be it auto's or cell phones etc. The consumers are the test pilots and the manufacturers learn from true life use.

Now, I'm not sure of how different these engines would be than what they have manufactured before or is the idea of having a V-8 in a motor home something new to them.

If a buyer is wondering if fuel mileage will increase I honestly doubt it.If it does it will be a small increase.

I find it amusing that a friends 42 foot Entegra bus gets the same MPG as my 29 foot Cambria.

Fun costs money, and I gladly pay it.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know if I was in the market for a new C I'd definitely wait for the V8. We're deep into the 2,000s & engineering / manufacturing of internal combustion engines has arguably never been better. Lots of experience & LOTS of computing power running design & construction make it so. I don't worry about '1st year stuff' like I did 2-3 decades ago.

IMHO Ford's had a really good track record with the last few truck engines they've rolled out, right from the starting block e.g. 3.5L EcoBoosts & 6.7L Powerstroke to name 2 of them.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

If you look in the class A forum now, there is a post by Timmac with a youtube video of a towing test with the new V8. Spoiler alert, the gas mileage sucks.

I watched that video and they were towing 14,000 pounds in wind at 70 mph. This example is not useable for judging the 7.3l application on a Class C.

Driving empty they got 15 mpg. Digging up some V10 truck mpg results to compare could be useful.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new 7.3 is a beast on paper, no doubt.

One of the reasons we expedited our purchase new in 2019, after many years of lollygagging, is because we were worried the V10 would disappear in 2020. That fear pushed us over the edge. The V10 was proven reliable in the long term, with cheap parts, cheap maintenance, and plenty of power for Class C. So we upgraded.

The 6 speed trans was more recent, but it is used in rigs with much more power than the V10 and much more GVWR and GCWR than any class C I would ever purchase.

I went with the proven reliable V10 and 6spd and have zero regrets. I'm sure the 7.3 has a good bit more performance, but additional performance to me wasn't worth the risk with less-proven equipment. Just my opinion and I don't know anything about anything.

Patrick

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PatJ wrote:

The new 7.3 is a beast on paper, no doubt.

One of the reasons we expedited our purchase new in 2019, after many years of lollygagging, is because we were worried the V10 would disappear in 2020. That fear pushed us over the edge. The V10 was proven reliable in the long term, with cheap parts, cheap maintenance, and plenty of power for Class C. So we upgraded.

The 6 speed trans was more recent, but it is used in rigs with much more power than the V10 and much more GVWR and GCWR than any class C I would ever purchase.

I went with the proven reliable V10 and 6spd and have zero regrets. I'm sure the 7.3 has a good bit more performance, but additional performance to me wasn't worth the risk with less-proven equipment. Just my opinion and I don't know anything about anything.

...I'll bet your bride will vouch for that last statement, pretty funny.

friends have or had V-10's in various vehicles and after 300K and 495K in the other one, I am amazed at what little parts failed. Mostly coils and both had water pumps.

robertallinson619

New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 04:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing 14000 pounds that's some real hefty one. Never seen that before!

John R C

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An update since I started this thread. Working with a salesman who did some checking around and the 2021s (Esteeem anyway) willbe built on 2021 chassis with the 7.3 V-8. Checking the Ford website, the HP is 350 and torque 468, up 45 and 48 respectively from the V-10. The power levels are set lower than the pickup ratings.

I'll get serious when the '21 order book is opened, possibly in March.

John C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Ford V10 vs Pending V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.