Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford V10 vs Pending V8
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Ford V10 vs Pending V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
John R C

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand Ford has developed a 7.3 liter (IIRC) V8 as a replacement for the 6.8 Liter V10 that has been around for some time. I've also been told the 2021 model Motorhomes come out in March, 2021. DW wants a bigger Class C, currently a Forester 2401 MBS, so I'm looking in the 32' range on a Ford 450 chassis. I'm happy to wait for the V8 if it will be out the first half of 2021.

Does anyone have any insight as to the status of the new V8 in motorhomes?

Thanks,

John R C

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears that the 2021 E 450 will have the V8, but when each MH builder will start building on them, will depend on when they run out of the 2020 cab and chassis units they've bought.

Each manufacturer starts their new year models whenever they feel like it and that's not necessarily in March.

I bought my current 2014 model year MH in March of 2013. It was built in Jan 2013 on a chassis that was built in Dec 2012.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2021 E-series was scheduled to start shipping this week. I have no idea if that's full production volume, or if they'll do a slow ramp up (likely). So it'll probably a month or 2 before we start seeing finished units.

Side note... The power gains are quite a bit more than the numbers alone suggest, because the V10 was rated under the old chassis certification, but now must be certified under the a dyno certification which produces lower numbers.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

John R C

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the insights...still don't know what we'll do. Primary interest is the Entegra and Jayco (same basicallY) 29 V/MV rigs.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John R C wrote:

I'm happy to wait for the V8 if it will be out the first half of 2021.

You would probably have to wait that long for Class C with the new engine and transmission.

I know I WOULD WAIT FOR IT !

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have any information on the new E-series other than the engine? I'm passively interested in other changes such as chassis front-end design and cabin design.

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cab appears unchanged other than the instrument cluster and steering wheel, which will be common with the F-series. This allows for adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, auto emergency braking etc.

The 6-speed transmission is being retained for the motorhome chassis (E-series and F53 stripped chassis). I suspect this is due to a combination of: 1) The tallest ratios of the 10 speed being unusable in a motorhome, and 2) the lowest ratios making too much torque for the existing drivetrain, which is unchanged. It will gain hill-start assist and "neutral idle" to reduce fuel consumption in town.

It will have an optional dual alternator, with 397 amps available, so with modern lithium battery packages, you may be able to skip on a gen-set.

[image]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect you won't ever see a significant chassis front-end redesign on the E series platform. If Ford were to spend money to make large changes to the basic chassis, it would be far more sensible for them (from a corporate bean-counter point of view) to put the resources into an improvement or variant of the Transit chassis. The E series is rather a legacy product; it's still being built because a fair few people are buying them and the basic engineering has been long amoritized so it doesn't cost too much to keep making them. Updates are made to it mostly to get rid of things that are unique to it, hence changing the engine and transmission and dashboard to be more common with the F series.

If the new engine is narrower than the V10, you might find a little more foot space in the cab. I don't know offhand if it's narrower or not.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you have the $ to take the hit if it doesn't perform during it's first year out.
I would want to wait to see how this new engine performs in the field. The price of a new MH is not exactly cheap, I would have to wait to establish some kind of track record.
Didn't Ford have a bomb with one of their diesels, I think it was the 6.0 ?

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

I suspect you won't ever see a significant chassis front-end redesign on the E series platform. If Ford were to spend money to make large changes to the basic chassis, it would be far more sensible for them (from a corporate bean-counter point of view) to put the resources into an improvement or variant of the Transit chassis. The E series is rather a legacy product; it's still being built because a fair few people are buying them and the basic engineering has been long amoritized so it doesn't cost too much to keep making them. Updates are made to it mostly to get rid of things that are unique to it, hence changing the engine and transmission and dashboard to be more common with the F series.

If the new engine is narrower than the V10, you might find a little more foot space in the cab. I don't know offhand if it's narrower or not.

I do believe the engine is more narrow. No overhead cams, so perhaps more foot room. Certainly cheaper to produce. Myself, I'm going to employ "watchful waiting" (a medical term I'm applying to new engines) to see what weak points show up before I lay down good money. Let other people be the test mules.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Ford V10 vs Pending V8
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.