cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding outdoor lights to my RVs

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a really easy mod to do: Adding lights to the fridge vent on both of my RVs. Neither had outside lighting on the side where the fridge is.

I've done it twice on my Arctic Fox Truck Camper:

Version 1

Version 2

Here's the project I did on my Nash 17k. This one is nice because it lights up the area when I arrive after dark and want light to hook up power, etc.

Slim LED light on the fridge vent
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
9 REPLIES 9

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jake2250 wrote:
You do realize that the campground light cops will blow their minds over these lights??
To think you want light on the side of your camper goes against all the rules of those that only camp in the dark!!
I personally like 'em,, but seems other feel the need to shame us that are afraid of the boogyman!

The only purpose of lights on the left side is so I can turn them on when hooking up utilities after dark. A lot of RVs have a light for the same purpose. My TT did not.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also have one on my trailer next to the main door. Sure helps a lot when returning after dark! Price is right also. ๐Ÿ™‚
Led, motion activated, battery powered, light.
There are others available also.
Here's the one I have.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Battery powered motion detector is what you need. I have one on the side near the door and one under the nose to use coming in after dark. Lights turn off when I go away, about $20 at HD or Lowes.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize that the campground light cops will blow their minds over these lights??
To think you want light on the side of your camper goes against all the rules of those that only camp in the dark!!
I personally like 'em,, but seems other feel the need to shame us that are afraid of the boogyman!

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I would doubt if the lights proposed by the OP would would run afoul of any regulations unless one turned them on while on the road.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

The lights aren't on the front or rear of the RV, they are on the sides.

I've never heard of a DOT Safety inspection on an RV. That must be an EAST COAST THING for OFF-ROAD POP UP Trailers.

Here is the nonsense we are subjected to annually.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RoyB wrote:
Just be careful to the front and rear of the trailer so you don't get into problems with required DOT Safety Inspections...

Roy Ken

The lights aren't on the front or rear of the RV, they are on the sides.

I've never heard of a DOT Safety inspection on an RV. That must be an EAST COAST THING for OFF-ROAD POP UP Trailers.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be careful to the front and rear of the trailer so you don't get into problems with required DOT Safety Inspections...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my solution - just peel and stick. No wiring necessary.

$5.50 in the Auto section at Dollar General
https://www.dollargeneral.com/open-trails-motion-light-solar.html

They also carry a similar light in the "As Seen On TV" section that sells for $14. Be sure to look in the Auto section!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System