Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: asking for suggestions/opinions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> asking for suggestions/opinions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
DannyA

West Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pros and cons to both, that is why they keep making both.
I have had TT and 5th wheel, I prefer to pull, hook and unhook the 5th wheel. I don't care for the steps in it.
I carry my patio mat, lawn chairs and lots of firewood in the bed along with the hitch. Is there room for a generator, yes.

2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We switched from a 5th wheel to a Class A after a long trip from California to Ohio and parts in that area. It was a pain to have to find a place to get off the road for a trip to the bathroom or a snack. Much easier for the copilot to walk back to the refrigerator or restroom.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from TT for 15 years to our new (used) MH last year. All I can say is I wish I would've bought a MH when we started. Traveling is much better! Withhe larger fuel tank there is no need to stop frequently on longer trips. Just generally a better travel experience.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're on our 4th travel trailer so obviously RVing is a way of life for us and cost has been justified by many rewards.

We've never once considered a 5th wheel or an oversized trailer ,28-29ft has always been the sweet spot.

I'm an avid bass fisherman and need the pickup bed to haul the 10ft boat as it goes on every camping trip.....no to toy haulers.

We all different, coming from and heading in different directions.
For us, it will always be a mid sized trailer.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had gooseneck trailer, same things as 5th for this discussion.
There is always the chance the trailer contacts the bedrail of the truck and does thousands in damage. A tt will never do this.
A 5th does tow better, is safer to tow and gives you more camper for the same rig (truck/trailer) length, but
if you just take a few hours drive sometimes each year then "towability" is a low low concern, all tt's should be a fine tow esp with WD hitch helping.
A tt will resell easier, and if you somehow end up with another tow vehicle then a tt can be towed by far more vehicles. 5th has to have a special expensive hitch installed which most trucks do not have, and NO suv's or car will have.
If you have a breakdown on the road and have to be towed then a tt is much easier. Getting a 5th towed… I cant imagine. Your GS or AAA coverage might have "RV" coverage which covers towing both truck and trailer, but good luck finding a tow truck that has a 5th hitch.
Or if your buddy come to rescue you and tow your trailer, then he will have a trailer hitch, but who has 5th hitches????
just a thought

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOVED the massive basement storage on our 5er; and when we got caught in the Great Atlanta Ice Storm in 2013 or 14, I was SOOOO grateful to have a 5er behind us because it towed like a champ - even on glare ice.
I didn't like having to climb so many stairs to go inside and use the restroom; and eventually, we just tired of having ANYTHING behind us, and bought a snowbird condo. Now sightsee and camp in a converted van.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> asking for suggestions/opinions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.