cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Composting Toilet

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to install a composting toilet in our toy hauler so we can eliminate our black tank.

Anyone done this?

Plan on rinsing the black tank out REAL well before capping it.

Any suggestions for things we ought to do during this upgrade?
32 REPLIES 32

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Will be constructing a compost pit for the solids

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, I know all that, but the thought of human waste is just yuck-o. But then, so is dog waste.

Well, hopefully it is politely packaged/sealed and of no particular harm to anyone ๐Ÿ˜‰
Oh absolutely, like those disposable diapers that are packaged/sealed. Riiiiiight. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, I know all that, but the thought of human waste is just yuck-o. But then, so is dog waste.

Well, hopefully it is politely packaged/sealed and of no particular harm to anyone ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I throw my dogs feces into the public dumpster and that is what the campground recommends.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh yuck, throwing feces and urine into the public dumpster? That's just plain gross, and yes, probably against both the campground rules, and local health codes.

Although maybe you could switch to Depends and do it that way.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
I will stick with my cassette toilet. I have a wet bath and no place for a bucket of stinky, used toilet paper. That alone would kill any interest I had. And where are you supposed to discard the plastic bag full of waste and a bucket of toilet paper?

I'm just a weekend camper. In the spring and the fall after freezing I use one of those Reliance portable toilet things. I put the toilet paper in with the bag full of waste. I don't know why you would want to keep it separate ?

Then I just throw it into the campgrounds dumpster. There was some discussion on here once that said this might be illegal and it could be if you think about it.

I suppose a person could dump the bag into the campgrounds vault toilet but, you would still have to put the plastic bag into the dumpster. And besides, that seems to gross for me.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will stick with my cassette toilet. I have a wet bath and no place for a bucket of stinky, used toilet paper. That alone would kill any interest I had. And where are you supposed to discard the plastic bag full of waste and a bucket of toilet paper?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
Thanks for your comments (at least most of them, Horsedoc for example). We boondock exclusively and live in our RV full time. Spent a few years on a sailboat so have extensive experience with this type of toilet. Also don't get wigged out over cleaning this sort of item.

In that case, and it sounds like you know what you're doing, I say go for it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I did the bucket and bag thing, for my first five years of 1/2 to 3/4 time van living. I'm now doing the portapotty thing, and emptying it in a sewer cleanout. They both have their pluses and minuses.

I don't ever plan to put a black tank in my van. Seems like too much work for not very much benefit. But I might use it if I had boughv a pre-made RV.

Yeah, that makes sense in a Van, but the OP has a Toy Hauler.

I see no problem with what he wants to do so long as the Toy Hauler can be easily converted back to a standard RV toilet, ie, keep all the old parts, toilet, etc. Otherwise, good luck selling it in the future.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
smarty wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
foolish

Horsedoc this is probably the type of response that one should not post?

You do not know anything about me and my wife and for you to tell us we are foolish also demonstrates your ignorance and arrogance.

Of course you are right ๐Ÿ˜‰ I know nothing about you and was not referring to you. I have the opinion that hauling around a bucket, box or container of urine and poop is not a really wise thing to do. You of course have different opinion and apparently enjoy or at least think it is a good idea.
As a kid, I grew up in the South on a farm with no indoor plumbing and a outhouse that was quite odoriferous in July and August. I got enough of that back then and still have no desire to poop and pee in a bucket and haul it around with me. I guess you do or at least think it is a good idea. Have at it.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
foolish

Horsedoc this is probably the type of response that one should not post?

You do not know anything about me and my wife and for you to tell us we are foolish also demonstrates your ignorance and arrogance.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments (at least most of them, Horsedoc for example). We boondock exclusively and live in our RV full time. Spent a few years on a sailboat so have extensive experience with this type of toilet. Also don't get wigged out over cleaning this sort of item.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
As I said, that is fine for ruminants. Things like sheep and cows and horses. But if you look into it you'll find that human poop is different.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.