Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Composting Toilet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Composting Toilet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are about to install a composting toilet in our toy hauler so we can eliminate our black tank.

Anyone done this?

Plan on rinsing the black tank out REAL well before capping it.

Any suggestions for things we ought to do during this upgrade?

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Composting Toilets - What They Don't Tell You

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you ever plan to sell it, you are really limiting your potential purchasers AND it will take a bunch of $$ off the resale price. Just something to think about.

I can tell you that one of the reasons I purchased an RV was to have a fully funcioning PRIVATE bathroom that I can take with me.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

foolish

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do these composting toilets depend on lots of power to dry out the waste matter and aid in the composting action? I'm not familiar with them but, operation of the toilet and travel needs consideration. Perhaps you can clue us in on how they work.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never try to belittle someone else idea BUT I watched most the video. That told me the whole story. It is not for me period.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had one in our boat and loved it...but in would never consider it in the RV.

In the boat, you generally can't dump overboard and finding pump outs is a hassle (plus they are broken half the time). Marine toilets require substantial maintenance as they pump the waste through 1.5" pipes and tend to clog and require regular rebuilds.

On the RV, it's just not as big of an issue as they use gravity and large diameter pipes. About the only reason you might consider one is if you are in the back-country for long periods of time with no access to a dump station. You still need a place to dispose of the urine every couple days but the solids should be good for around 3-5weeks.

One catch, our experience is with 2 people using it. If you have 4-5 people, it becomes problematic as they can't handle the loading (from people we know who had visitors for a week on their boat with the same unit)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That guy spent a lot of time on his knees in that video. It's definitely not for this old f*rt.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's funny how the definition of composting toilet has changed since RVers started using them [emoticon].

A composting toilet used to be something that did the composting itself. Meaning it would hold several years worth of poop.

But just last week someone told me she had a composting toilet in her van, and it turned out that what she meant was that she had a bucket and a plastic bag :-).

The top comment on that video has a good link about disposing of the non-composted stuff that you get in a plastic bag, from a so-called composting toilet:

https://www.livesmallridefree.com/blog/where-to-responsibly-empty-your-composting-toilet

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a whole subculture of converted cargo vans, and those who live in them a LOT or full-time swear by the composting toilets. Try www.faroutride.com for a journal of the build and features and comparison tests the owners (both engineers) did for waste disposal in their Transit build.

I still agree with others: in the whole scheme of things, dealing with a black tank isn't all that difficult (says the lady who has toted around a "Luggable Loo" which uses kitty litter and WAG bags for a decade, even with an RV)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Composting Toilet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.