Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Jump Start Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Jump Start Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Art Davis

Shady Cove, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am now on my third battery in our 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. On the two times I replaced the battery the symptom was a bit unusual. Turning the key would not even produce a relay click---stone cold dead. I tried on both occasions to jump start with a 'jumpit' with no luck. I even tried taking one battery terminal loose and starting with the jumpit alone, but no luck. (The jumpit was freshly recharged.)

Has anyone had this experience? In the past I have seen battery failures much less sudden, getting at least a slow crank of the engine. I am mystified by this and would appreciate any clue.

It seems that my carrying a jumpit in the truck bed is useless!


Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab


fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/20/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most newish vehicles won't start, or even crank, when the voltage gets below a certain point. So basically it starts fine at 12.3 volts, but the computer says "No Way" at 12.2 volts.

I'd be checking the alternator, and/or starter. What was the voltage when the truck wouldn't start? I'm sure it wasn't "stone cold dead", you did check the voltage didn't you?


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3rd battery in 10 years is about normal.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

3rd battery in 10 years is about normal.


And we are just discussing in my thread batteries lasting 12 years (In my truck and some others) and others going 20 years! LOL

Actually, my cars would have those battery lifespan of 3 to 5 years. And when they go dead, no crank, no click no nothing -- just dead.

As to the OP issue, yes, test your battery. Mine did not start when the voltage drop is considered minuscule. Reading of 12.1V.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just replaced the 10 y/o batterys in my Dodge. They still worked but didn't like sitting in the cold very long.
I've been driving for about 43 years. In that time I have had batterys suddenly short internally on 2 occasionions in various cars. Both times they could not be jump started. The shorted battery was just too much of a load.
It kinda sounds like that's what happeded to you but that's a lot of bad batts in a short time.


Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Art Davis

Shady Cove, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Most newish vehicles won't start, or even crank, when the voltage gets below a certain point. So basically it starts fine at 12.3 volts, but the computer says "No Way" at 12.2 volts.

I'd be checking the alternator, and/or starter. What was the voltage when the truck wouldn't start? I'm sure it wasn't "stone cold dead", you did check the voltage didn't you?


Actually, I didn't check the voltage. I didn't think the no load voltage said much about a battery---but maybe it does. Sure acted to me as though the computer just said not enough voltage and shut things down.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/20/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, the first time that happens is really surprising. We had stopped on our way to our daughter's house and gassed up. Restarted the truck and drove on over to the house. Stayed a few minutes, went to leave, and the truck wouldn't start, no crank, no nothing. Showed about 12.0 Volts IIRC. New battery, checked the alternator and good to go. It was about a 5-6 year old battery.

IMO 3 batteries in 10 years is way too many. I figure at least 5 years for a battery. The battery in my car is 6 years old, and the one in Peggy's truck is 4 years old.

2oldman

Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

IMO 3 batteries in 10 years is way too many. I figure at least 5 years for a battery.
5 years per is about right, assuming his latest is new.

jkwilson

Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 06/14/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

3rd battery in 10 years is about normal.


And we are just discussing in my thread batteries lasting 12 years (In my truck and some others) and others going 20 years! LOL

Actually, my cars would have those battery lifespan of 3 to 5 years. And when they go dead, no crank, no click no nothing -- just dead.

As to the OP issue, yes, test your battery. Mine did not start when the voltage drop is considered minuscule. Reading of 12.1V.


12.1V is an enormous voltage drop. 12.65V is the lowest full charge voltage of any commonly available battery. 12.1V would be 50% state of charge.


John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/20/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

3rd battery in 10 years is about normal.


And we are just discussing in my thread batteries lasting 12 years (In my truck and some others) and others going 20 years! LOL

Actually, my cars would have those battery lifespan of 3 to 5 years. And when they go dead, no crank, no click no nothing -- just dead.

As to the OP issue, yes, test your battery. Mine did not start when the voltage drop is considered minuscule. Reading of 12.1V.


12.1V is an enormous voltage drop. 12.65V is the lowest full charge voltage of any commonly available battery. 12.1V would be 50% state of charge.


Sorry, this is what happens when I pretend knowledge -- not knowing there is a different voltage drop math.

Thanks! We learn something everyday.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Jump Start Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.