Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Jump Start Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Jump Start Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brand and COST of battery will be determined for how long a battery lasts. There is a reason some batteries are a lot cheaper than others. Having a battery fail "suddenly", is NOT that rare anymore. Most common sudden failure involves the Acid plates come broken loose from the battery posts. THAT is why some jumpstarts fail to work. Also, some batteries when they have failed, actually "pull" the available jump start voltage without getting the required amount to the Starter. Doug

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It certainly could be the battery.

But do check the battery leads (both ends). Corroded wires are also a thing, and I have seen one or two that looked at first glance to be okay but were internally completely gone. Likewise, if the frame ground for the battery is not there or the battery clamps on the leads aren't working anymore, you'd have the symptoms you describe.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, My Rig is a Damon Intruder on a workhorse chassis.

Symptoms. Turned key to on, Dash lights,. Turn to start all dead.

Discovery: Someone (likely Damon) used standard "Ring terminals" (Crimp on metal rings) instead of a proper LEAD battery terminal. Unlike metals do not do well in an mild acid environment and even though side terminal batteries are not supposed to have that problem... They do.

Cleaned and re-connected and Varoom (NOTE BOOST (Emergency Start) worked)

Did that 3 times before Boost did not work jumper cable off the house did.

Put in a new battery (And terminal) in 2014. been good since.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two or three years ago I started getting together items to rebuild a new battery bank. One of the items I got was a couple of these 12VDC 10WATT Solar panels...

[image]
Google image///

I started to plugin this into an always hot 12V socket in the truck that would trickle charge my Truck Start Battery...

This has really prolonged my truck start battery... Every time I look at it is at the 12.5V or so level... The charge rate is in the low MA's that will not be enough to overcharge anything...

I lay this small footprint solar panel on the inside dash where it gets sunlight most of the time... Seems to be just enough trickle charge to give my truck start battery a slow charge...

I see these small 10 WATT solar panels at the auto parts places and of course AMAZON has it as well... I leave it plugged into a always hot 12V socket that is in the back seat area. My front 12V socket is under control of the ignition key...

Roy Ken
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Jump Start Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.