cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low clearance - cut this off?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
The structure in my photo extends very low under my hitch. It is so low, it drags on most driveway entrances and exits. Other than making the hitch less adjustable for another rig in the future, is there any downside of bandsawing it off?

There is something special about camping in an RV.
25 REPLIES 25

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get your wife a fresh hacksaw blade and tell her to have at it!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
CUT THE HITCH OFF, done.

That's the plan.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would look for a wheel to attach.

Bad idea there. THat would LIFT the tow vehicle when entering driveways, etc.

CUT THE HITCH OFF, done.
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
From that perspective it doesn't look "that" low, but it also doesn't look like you're using the wd bars, or the front end has a leveling kit?

Trailer has leaf springs?
If so, make it easy, flip the hitch, which will raise it slightly and remove the low hanging encumbrance. And if the trailer sits a tad nose high, it won't really hurt anything. That's what I'd try fist before going through the trouble of sawing off a solid 2x2 bar.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Pictures can be deceiving, but your sig pic looks like that truck is sagging more than expected with a HD 4x4. Especially if the wd bars are doing anything. If that's not the case and the truck isn't sagging then it won't hurt anything trimming the bar.

I am taking the RIG out next month and will get a profile photo then, and a photo up close of the hitch. Right now the trailer is tucked away and I won't pull it out for a photo session. Thanks to you (and all the others) for the input so far.

How much was the back of the truck sagging when you did have it hooked up?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had to trim off mine when I had my 97 Dodge conv van. the hitch sat low so the extra length hanging low would've caused issues. Just leave enough metal below the last hole and you will be fine.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Pictures can be deceiving, but your sig pic looks like that truck is sagging more than expected with a HD 4x4. Especially if the wd bars are doing anything. If that's not the case and the truck isn't sagging then it won't hurt anything trimming the bar.

I am taking the RIG out next month and will get a profile photo then, and a photo up close of the hitch. Right now the trailer is tucked away and I won't pull it out for a photo session. Thanks to you (and all the others) for the input so far.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
MiRvn wrote:
If you're dragging that low, you may have too much tongue weight on the rear end. Your truck should sit pretty close to level when hooked up.

I agree. If this were particular to a certain location, I could see it being an issue of the angles involved at that location. For a normal set-up, however, you shouldn't be having issues at 'most driveways' unless it is hanging unusually low. I'd make sure the setup is accurate before cutting things off and realizing it was never set up correctly in the first place.

MiRvn
Explorer
Explorer
If you're dragging that low, you may have too much tongue weight on the rear end. Your truck should sit pretty close to level when hooked up. Perhaps forcing a little more weight onto the front wheels could help the situation. Another option is replacing the bump stops on the rear axle with a more HD set to assist with the sag.

Dave

2012 Silverado 1500 Z71
Prodigy Brake Controller โ€ข Husky WD Hitch โ€ข Dual Cam Sway Control

2015 Shadow Cruiser S280QBS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pictures can be deceiving, but your sig pic looks like that truck is sagging more than expected with a HD 4x4. Especially if the wd bars are doing anything.
If that's not the case and the truck isn't sagging then it won't hurt anything trimming the bar.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:
Cutting will help your ground clearance issue but not solve it.

Cutting it solved the same problem for me!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
La Gasser wrote:
Something doesn't sound right here. When the truck & trailer are hooked up, is both the truck & the trailer level? Or is the rear of the truck sagging? If the rear of the truck and the nose of the trailer are lower, then maybe you need airbags to level the truck backup, which would raise the hitch higher off the ground.

I will post a photo of the connected trailer. Right now, they are not attached.