Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Low clearance - cut this off?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Low clearance - cut this off?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

The structure in my photo extends very low under my hitch. It is so low, it drags on most driveway entrances and exits. Other than making the hitch less adjustable for another rig in the future, is there any downside of bandsawing it off?

sch911 wrote:

FrankoToo wrote:

Easiest way is to flip the bar over so the extra is on top. No issue being in the way of the tailgate, not in my setup anyway.

I don't understand your response?

He needs the drop shank to make the rig level, but it's a little too long and hits the ground. So cutting it off makes sense, but flipping it over doesn't...

According to the OP, the issue is with the extra unused drop on the stinger drags on the ground through driveways. If he removes the two side bolts and turns it over he might gain enough clearance. This probably will not work if his hitch is currently much below the receiver. But it might be worth looking into.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

La Gasser

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something doesn't sound right here. When the truck & trailer are hooked up, is both the truck & the trailer level? Or is the rear of the truck sagging? If the rear of the truck and the nose of the trailer are lower, then maybe you need airbags to level the truck backup, which would raise the hitch higher off the ground.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

La Gasser wrote:

Something doesn't sound right here. When the truck & trailer are hooked up, is both the truck & the trailer level? Or is the rear of the truck sagging? If the rear of the truck and the nose of the trailer are lower, then maybe you need airbags to level the truck backup, which would raise the hitch higher off the ground.

I will post a photo of the connected trailer. Right now, they are not attached.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Cutting will help your ground clearance issue but not solve it.

Cutting it solved the same problem for me!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures can be deceiving, but your sig pic looks like that truck is sagging more than expected with a HD 4x4. Especially if the wd bars are doing anything.
If that's not the case and the truck isn't sagging then it won't hurt anything trimming the bar.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for a wheel to attach.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MiRvn

Dewitt (Lansing), MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're dragging that low, you may have too much tongue weight on the rear end. Your truck should sit pretty close to level when hooked up. Perhaps forcing a little more weight onto the front wheels could help the situation. Another option is replacing the bump stops on the rear axle with a more HD set to assist with the sag.

Dave
2012 Silverado 1500 Z71
Prodigy Brake Controller • Husky WD Hitch • Dual Cam Sway Control

2015 Shadow Cruiser S280QBS

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MiRvn wrote:

If you're dragging that low, you may have too much tongue weight on the rear end. Your truck should sit pretty close to level when hooked up.

I agree. If this were particular to a certain location, I could see it being an issue of the angles involved at that location. For a normal set-up, however, you shouldn't be having issues at 'most driveways' unless it is hanging unusually low. I'd make sure the setup is accurate before cutting things off and realizing it was never set up correctly in the first place.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Pictures can be deceiving, but your sig pic looks like that truck is sagging more than expected with a HD 4x4. Especially if the wd bars are doing anything. If that's not the case and the truck isn't sagging then it won't hurt anything trimming the bar.

I am taking the RIG out next month and will get a profile photo then, and a photo up close of the hitch. Right now the trailer is tucked away and I won't pull it out for a photo session. Thanks to you (and all the others) for the input so far.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to trim off mine when I had my 97 Dodge conv van. the hitch sat low so the extra length hanging low would've caused issues. Just leave enough metal below the last hole and you will be fine.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Low clearance - cut this off?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.