Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use rv share?

nfoe84
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

We are going to be purchasing a TT in the near future. The last few years we have just been renting off rvhshare and it's been great.

We have a lake a few miles from our house and would like to go a little more often. That being said my work schedule doesn't allow me as much free time as i'd like.

We are planning on purchasing a trailer and putting it on rvshare to generate some income. I cannot justify buying a new tt and using it 5 times a year so i figure we'll give this a shot.

My question is does anyone else rent their tt? If so how has your experience been? The guy we rent from has had one bad encounter in 3 years. He ended up ahead at the end of the day.

My next question is the plan is to replace the camper every 3 years or so. Is it worth the money to get a more quality/more expensive camper? Pretty big price range on some bunkhouse tt.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
2019 Chevy 1500 RST 4x4

TT is yet to be decided
22 REPLIES 22

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
nfoe84 wrote:
Hello everyone!

We are going to be purchasing a TT in the near future. The last few years we have just been renting off rvhshare and it's been great.

We have a lake a few miles from our house and would like to go a little more often. That being said my work schedule doesn't allow me as much free time as i'd like.

We are planning on purchasing a trailer and putting it on rvshare to generate some income. I cannot justify buying a new tt and using it 5 times a year so i figure we'll give this a shot.

My question is does anyone else rent their tt? If so how has your experience been? The guy we rent from has had one bad encounter in 3 years. He ended up ahead at the end of the day.

My next question is the plan is to replace the camper every 3 years or so. Is it worth the money to get a more quality/more expensive camper? Pretty big price range on some bunkhouse tt.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Like rental houses, rented RVs don't get the TLC you would give it.
Folks trying out RVs make mistakes you wouldn't make, and don't always mention things like turning right and bouncing over curbs ect... Expect some repair bills.
Good luck in your rental business.

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Do you like bedbugs? LOL. My wife would kick me to the curb just for asking if I could rent out our 5th wheel.

My biggest fear but no different from a hotel, rental car, or any public place
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

nfoe84
Explorer
Explorer
It's not exactly cheap to rent. Therefore if hope it'd weed out the people with bed bugs lol.

Obviously it's not for everyone. I was really looking for people who actually rented their TT out. But thanks for everyone's opinion. I will update after a year or so and let everyone know my first hand experience.
2019 Chevy 1500 RST 4x4

TT is yet to be decided

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you like bedbugs? LOL. My wife would kick me to the curb just for asking if I could rent out our 5th wheel.

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
nfoe84 wrote:
6door74 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but OP, when you rented the trailer, what did you have to have vs. what was provided? This question kinda ties into your post because how do you guarantee that the renter has the required equipment to properly use your trailer? Does the owner provide the appropriate weight distributing hitch or does the renter have to bring it? Who ensures that trailer brakes and other equipment is adequate?

This question is for me because I plan on renting but also for you because have you given consideration to those things....

The guy we rent from provides everything from the hitch to card games. The only thing needed is pillows and blankets. It's extremely convenient.

Gotcha. Definitely sounds like a good owner and you a good renter. Hopefully we get the same and you should you choose to rent out. Good luck
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

nfoe84
Explorer
Explorer
6door74 wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but OP, when you rented the trailer, what did you have to have vs. what was provided? This question kinda ties into your post because how do you guarantee that the renter has the required equipment to properly use your trailer? Does the owner provide the appropriate weight distributing hitch or does the renter have to bring it? Who ensures that trailer brakes and other equipment is adequate?

This question is for me because I plan on renting but also for you because have you given consideration to those things....

The guy we rent from provides everything from the hitch to card games. The only thing needed is pillows and blankets. It's extremely convenient.
2019 Chevy 1500 RST 4x4

TT is yet to be decided

nfoe84
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
nfoe84 wrote:
My next question is the plan is to replace the camper every 3 years or so. Is it worth the money to get a more quality/more expensive camper?

Why is there the perceived need to replace something every three years when you haven't even bought the first one yet?

When renting people go for the newest TT. That's the reason I brought it up.
2019 Chevy 1500 RST 4x4

TT is yet to be decided

6door74
Explorer
Explorer

2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
nfoe84 wrote:
My next question is the plan is to replace the camper every 3 years or so. Is it worth the money to get a more quality/more expensive camper?

Why is there the perceived need to replace something every three years when you haven't even bought the first one yet?

Im coming up at 3yrs with our new camper and i just now have it the way we like it. Added shelves, found homes for just about every thing we bring. set up and tear down routines are more on the muscle memory side ect.... I wouldn't trade it in for quite some time. I think it stems from the car leasing plague. People are so used to trading in a perfectly good car because they are bored of it. Poor financial sense.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
nfoe84 wrote:

Bob

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
nfoe84 wrote:
I guess i was hoping everyone would be respectful as i was when renting. I made sure the camper was just as if not cleaner when i returned it every time. I just can't get over something sitting 90% of the year and not using it.

Like i said the guy that we rent from has only had 1 issue. Maybe he is just lucky?

Renting the camper the last two times cost about $1600-1800. Just thought purchasing one would make more sense if i could rent it out a few times a year.

I'm not a person that gets freaked out by other people using my things. They are just that, things and they are replaceable.

Appreciate your guy's opinions!!

We have an outdoor show the end of the month. Going to check out some floor plans and we'll see what happens.
Some people just don't know any better.I was a member of a club that had a trailer for field events. Whoever we could get to volunteer towed it to and from events. It was shocking to me how hard they were on things.

There are some people that can screw up a crowbar.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

nfoe84
Explorer
Explorer
I guess i was hoping everyone would be respectful as i was when renting. I made sure the camper was just as if not cleaner when i returned it every time. I just can't get over something sitting 90% of the year and not using it.

Like i said the guy that we rent from has only had 1 issue. Maybe he is just lucky?

Renting the camper the last two times cost about $1600-1800. Just thought purchasing one would make more sense if i could rent it out a few times a year.

I'm not a person that gets freaked out by other people using my things. They are just that, things and they are replaceable.

Appreciate your guy's opinions!!

We have an outdoor show the end of the month. Going to check out some floor plans and we'll see what happens.
2019 Chevy 1500 RST 4x4

TT is yet to be decided

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Too many things to go wrong, too many ways a rookie can screw up.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Renters of these types of things are generally ones that don't know how a RV works, or don't care. Most will put more effort into making sure they don't run out of beer, than being careful with a rental.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW