cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart Light Bulbs

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i'm considering dumping my old style light timers replacing them with wifi smart bulbs. lots of questions i hope others can answer.

- most of the smart bulbs will be in fixtures that are on timers year round but some of the smart bulbs will be in other fixtures that are occasionally used on an as-needed basis. will the smart bulb also function as a "regular" bulb? will it lose its programming if turned off at the wall switch or fixture? if it holds its programming how long will the bulb's programming be retained when the bulb or fixture is off?

- we have a planned momentary power outage each week when our stand-by generator tests itself under load. will these momentary outages (~5-seconds) disrupt, alter or cancel the bulb's programming? does the programming reside in the bulb or on the PC? the PC at home is on a UPS so there is zero interruption to it.

- i don't care for or need smart bulbs that can change hue or color. prefer soft white especially in the lamps that will see occasional use. LEDs are notoriously harsh. can anyone recommend a brand that's not so harsh?

- do smart bulbs come in 3-way wattages such as 60/100/150 (equivalent)? can i get single wattage bulbs in the equivalent of 25 or 40-watts?

- the upfront expense is ok but i sure don't want to be replacing them often. for those that have them what has been your experience in terms of longevity? not looking to go cheap nor am i wanting to take out a mortgage. looking for good value.

- do the bulbs come with an app for my iphone/ipad? do i program them with those devices or with my PC?

- any other opinions, cautions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

thanks.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
26 REPLIES 26

maryrick
Explorer
Explorer
Who told you this nonsense that this is one of the best manufacturers of smart lamps? lol! Personally, I prefer the lamps that I ordered not so long ago using the website https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs /. Now I have amazing smart light bulbs that complement my home very cool. In addition, it is incredibly convenient, because they can be controlled by voice. And also a huge number of colors on these light bulbs change, which dramatically transforms my bedroom before going to bed. Who uses them too?

Explorer II
Explorer II
Joined 6 months ago almost to the day. 1st and only post has poor grammar, poor attempt at using Kings English. Suspicious?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Resurrecting a thread over 2 years old? Gee.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

anthocleod
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is that they doesn't suit to standard sockets, but it would be nice to try them out. I might find some other models maybe, which will be what I need. It's good that I found already smart light bulbs for home https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulb-bulbs-color/dp/B0922Q43LY/https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulb-bulbs-color/dp/B0922Q43LY/, the difference is huge, from having one color and turning it on and off manually, to being able to change the colors and on/off from the phone.

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
i'm considering dumping my old style light timers replacing them with wifi smart bulbs. lots of questions i hope others can answer.

- most of the smart bulbs will be in fixtures that are on timers year round but some of the smart bulbs will be in other fixtures that are occasionally used on an as-needed basis. will the smart bulb also function as a "regular" bulb? will it lose its programming if turned off at the wall switch or fixture? if it holds its programming how long will the bulb's programming be retained when the bulb or fixture is off?They are programmed either in your phone (android or Iphone) or ipad...And in order to work the light must be left on and connected to the internet...

- we have a planned momentary power outage each week when our stand-by generator tests itself under load. will these momentary outages (~5-seconds) disrupt, alter or cancel the bulb's programming? does the programming reside in the bulb or on the PC? the PC at home is on a UPS so there is zero interruption to it. interruptions won't bother anything...when the internet comes back up the program reconnects..

- i don't care for or need smart bulbs that can change hue or color. prefer soft white especially in the lamps that will see occasional use. LEDs are notoriously harsh. can anyone recommend a brand that's not so harsh?

- do smart bulbs come in 3-way wattages such as 60/100/150 (equivalent)? can i get single wattage bulbs in the equivalent of 25 or 40-watts?

- the upfront expense is ok but i sure don't want to be replacing them often. for those that have them what has been your experience in terms of longevity? not looking to go cheap nor am i wanting to take out a mortgage. looking for good value.
I chose to use switches vs. bulbs in most cases, but if you look at Wyze their product is very reasonable...KSA(?) is as well.Typically a phone or ipad...haven't seen any for PC's

- do the bulbs come with an app for my iphone/ipad? do i program them with those devices or with my PC?

- any other opinions, cautions or words of wisdom would be appreciated. I like because I can control things from out of town as I need to as well as set programs up.

thanks.
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
50/100/150 W 3 way bulbs are available from Amazon etc, about $20 for 2. Mine are GE 2700K hence not "harsh".
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just purchased the BOUNDERY Emergency Power Failure LED 60W Light Bulbs (4 Pack) from AMAZON. These are the ones that screw into standard light sockets.

Turned out they was temp out of stock when I placed the order and got a FEB 7 delivery date. Guess these are the popular ones everyone is getting haha...

Wanetd to see how they worked in my Radio Room situation...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
As an additional note....... Philips Hue are by far the best bulbs out there with the most flexibility, but they are also the most expensive! If you're looking at a lot of bulbs, sticker shock will quickly set in!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

- most of the smart bulbs will be in fixtures that are on timers year round but some of the smart bulbs will be in other fixtures that are occasionally used on an as-needed basis. will the smart bulb also function as a "regular" bulb? will it lose its programming if turned off at the wall switch or fixture? if it holds its programming how long will the bulb's programming be retained when the bulb or fixture is off?
The smart bulb will retain any programming, HOWEVER, when you shut the power off to the bulb and turn it back on, the bulb will come on at full brightness, until the next program event kicks in. You can use a wall switch as needed, but when you power the switch back on, the bulb will be at full brightness till the next programmed event.

- we have a planned momentary power outage each week when our stand-by generator tests itself under load. will these momentary outages (~5-seconds) disrupt, alter or cancel the bulb's programming? does the programming reside in the bulb or on the PC? the PC at home is on a UPS so there is zero interruption to it.
Again, when the power comes back on, ALL bulbs will turn on with full brightness until their next scheduled programmed event.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the display bulbs they have. You can play with them and see exactly what type of light they offer.

No typical 3-way bulbs are available in led, but they are almost all infinitely dimmable. Yes, you can get led's in various wattage equivalents.

Odds are that ALL the bulbs will live longer than you.

Focus on bulbs that are compatible with HomeKit for use with iPHone's/iPads. There are a number of them. Check out CNET.COM for reviews.

- any other opinions, cautions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

thanks.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go with specific timers, outlets, or bulbs that work on their own (without a hub) think about what you might want to do in the future.

We have Smartthings - a hub that hooks up to our home network and an app on the phone. We can control lots of smart things with it - even when we're not at home.

The bulbs we have the most of are Sengled Smart LED Soft White A19 bulbs. They can also be programmed for brightness - for instance we have a hall light that we leave on all the time - doesn't need to be super bright so it is at 60% during the day and 10% at night.

We got the Smart stuff for when we're gone on trips so it looks like we're home, but it is so easy (and fun) that we just leave them programmed all the time.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Those are the old bulky ones where it blocks the second outlet. Get these which leave the other outlet open - same company and same specs
Link

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Smart Plugs:

Kasa Smart WiFi Plug w/Energy Monitoring by TP-Link - Reliable WiFi Connection, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa Echo & Google Assistant (HS110)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS110-Monitoring-Required-Assistant/dp/B0178IC5ZY/
Put the KASA app on your phone, add the Smart Plugs and set up a schedule. Done. Turns your lights and appliances off and on plus keeps track of how much electric is used.

thanks.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Smart Plugs:

Kasa Smart WiFi Plug w/Energy Monitoring by TP-Link - Reliable WiFi Connection, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa Echo & Google Assistant (HS110)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS110-Monitoring-Required-Assistant/dp/B0178IC5ZY/
Put the KASA app on your phone, add the Smart Plugs and set up a schedule. Done. Turns your lights and appliances off and on plus keeps track of how much electric is used.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Smart Lamps" is a category, not a single product. Almost all the answers will depend on the exact product you pick.

So choose wisely!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide