Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check Me....I am OK with this set-up

rklavoon
Explorer
Explorer
Can you check me (give me your thoughts) on this combination

2015 F-250 Super Duty CC
FX4 Off Road, Camper Package (Extra Rear Leaf Spring)
Payload Capcity is 2,350 pounds
6.2L V8, 6 speed auto
45,000 miles
3.73 ELS
Tow Rating: 12,000 lbs

Proposed Trailer:
2020 Jayco 32BHDS, 2 Slides
UVW: 8200 lbs
CC: 1700 lbs
GVWR: 9,900 lbs
Tongue Weight Empty: 865 lbs
36' long
Reese Strait Line w/Dual Cam Trunion 1,200 Lbs Bars

I currently have a 2014 Jayco 29QBH (6800 lbs dry, 9250 GVWR, 33' long). I don't win any races....I get about 8 mpg (which I am ok with).

I am looking to upgrade to a 6.7L diesel or 7.3L gas (new engine) in 2021.

I am going to be OK with my current set-up for this year if I buy this new trailer?

Thanks for your thoughts!
2020 Ford F-350 Lariat CCSB 4x4, 7.3L V8, 3.73ELS
2020 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
Equalizer E4
22 REPLIES 22

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
This ^^^

Looks is just surface or a facade

A 16 lb sledge looks like an 8 lb sledge...a 12 oz hammer looks like a 16 oz hammer, but there is a huge difference

Ditto 2 tires from same OEM, same model, same tread, same size...but one is a passenger class and other higher class LT. Very different...costs more, weighs more, better construction, etc

I donโ€™t buy the heavier is better hype at all. Only way to know is to compare them side by side. Lighter doesnโ€™t always mean less or weaker. I have a friend with the exact same layout tt as mine from another manufacturer. We compared them. To start, his is 1100lbs heavier from the factory.

My lighter tt has heavier rated axles and higher load rated tires. Mine has heavier duty slide gear. Mine has a bigger a/c. Mine has aluminum framing everywhere vs his wood framing. I have solid wood cabinet doors where his are heavy laminated MDF. We both agreed that the quality and fit and finish of mine was better and itโ€™s been aging better too.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This ^^^

Looks is just surface or a facade

A 16 lb sledge looks like an 8 lb sledge...a 12 oz hammer looks like a 16 oz hammer, but there is a huge difference

Ditto 2 tires from same OEM, same model, same tread, same size...but one is a passenger class and other higher class LT. Very different...costs more, weighs more, better construction, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Youโ€™ll be fine with that combo. Are you stuck on the Jayco brand? Only reason I ask is that trailer is really heavy for what it is. I have the exact same layout in our Keystone Premier 31bhpr but it is WAY lighter. Our UVW is only 6400lbs. Loaded for 2 weeks of camping we come in under the empty weight of that Jayco at 7800lbs and 950 on the tongue.

There are a lot of manufacturers with the same floor plan and similar or better quality at much lighter weight. Not against Jayco by any means, just wouldnโ€™t want to haul around an extra 1500lbs for nothing.

Oh, it's not for nothing. There's only one way they make them lighter, and it's not with carbon fiber or other high strength, lightweight materials. There's just less there.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rklavoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I felt like I was OK....but wanted to get a few opinions. See you down the road.
2020 Ford F-350 Lariat CCSB 4x4, 7.3L V8, 3.73ELS
2020 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
Equalizer E4

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
you are good to go.

i have a 2017 f250 6.2 2wd and our TT is approx same length and weight as yours.

tows like a dream even thru the nc mountains.

gas stops get tricky with that length trailer but i plan around that by using larger stations. easy tradeoff for the extra living space.

it would be nice to have a 6.7 liter diesel but "diesel" isn't in my budget.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™ll be fine with that combo. Are you stuck on the Jayco brand? Only reason I ask is that trailer is really heavy for what it is. I have the exact same layout in our Keystone Premier 31bhpr but it is WAY lighter. Our UVW is only 6400lbs. Loaded for 2 weeks of camping we come in under the empty weight of that Jayco at 7800lbs and 950 on the tongue.

There are a lot of manufacturers with the same floor plan and similar or better quality at much lighter weight. Not against Jayco by any means, just wouldnโ€™t want to haul around an extra 1500lbs for nothing.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line you will be fine. haul about the same load with a dmax but that's me.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Go for one ton not 3/4 you will never regret it. And if you plan to go west to the mountain states get the 6.7L

In that year, an F250 with the camper package was identical to an F350 so it is the exact same as the one ton version.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I think your good to go!

Yep - seems fine. Some people want a truck that drives like the trailer isn't there. Others are fine with a set-up that can safely handle the trailer that they know is there. You'll likely be in the latter category, but the truck should be able to easily handle it.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your payload on that truck, camper package, is a non issue. With the truck loaded up, towing that size camper, the only real issue, you will likely need to lock out 6th gear, most times, and maybe even 5th in hills, or against head wind.

Go ahead with that trailer, it won't be much different to tow, than the one you've got!

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
rklavoon wrote:
I am looking to upgrade to a 6.7L diesel or 7.3L gas (new engine) in 2021.

You already have a 2015 and it only has 45,000 miles. Just my opinion but either keep the truck you have or upgrade all the way to the Powerstroke. A 2021 with a 7.3 will be marginally better than what you have but not worth the expense, or at least it wouldn't be to me. The diesel would provide a material upgrade.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Your tongue weight will probably be closer to 1400 than 1200.

I tow mine with a GM 6.0. You will not win races, but you will make it.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are fine with those weights but even if you were to overload your truck by 1000 lbs or so it's not like the wheels would fall off. I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it but I've had 11,000 lbs of pin weight on the back of my SRW with no ill effect.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And putting 4 adults in the cab of the truck doesn't run you out of remaining payload at 1550 lbs, lol.
That's ridiculous. But it's the world some folks live in....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold