cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firewall, black expanding foam

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
After driving with our new gas class A in 20 degree weather have some minor leaks in the front firewall creating some minor comfort issues that just can't be resolved by the dash heater controls. I want to work on some of these infiltration leaks, but I don't want to use a flammable foam, so what do the manufacturers use for the black expanding foam in this application?
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]
11 REPLIES 11

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions, and I guess "firewall" in a gas class A is a misnomer. Plywood and foam sealant, etc. would not slow down an engine blaze.

Some will be simple to fix, but others will be nearly impossible to find.
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckftboy wrote:
Here in Florida the HD stores sell Great Stuff fire block foam but its red, not black.

This is what we use in firewalls in construction. Expensive, but perfect for your project.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a Ford but on my gas coach, the firewall is above the radiator, or basically in front of the engine. It is not really a firewall as much as it is to block the wind and direct it through the radiator as well as give them a place to mount things.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the expanding foam when I had to remove some and get to wires that need fixing. Used regular caulk to fill small pass thru holes through fire wall. As firflie mentioned that small amount of caulk or foam is not going to affect a fire in the front eng compartment. I have a fire extinguisher up front just in case.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your engine compartment is anything like mine, that little bit of “Fire Rated Foam” isn’t going to make any difference if you have a fire in your engine compartment or anywhere around your front cap.
Unless it’s a very small fire.
I guess it might not promote fire spread. I don’t know. The rest of the wood, fiberglass and plastic will do just fine spreading the fire.

Sealing the gaps to keep your feet warm is more important. IMHO

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful before using any type of foam, even the ones that state "fire block"... Read the information very carefully before you buy or use...

You might want to look into fire caulk...
Inquiring minds want to know...

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Florida the HD stores sell Great Stuff fire block foam but its red, not black.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Stuff-99054816-Multipurpose-Insulating/dp/B01MEH89XY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=black+expanding+foam&qid=1579651946&sr=8-2

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck finding the leaks and sealing them.. Flex-Seal spray.. Might be an option.. Stuff works SOMETIMES.. It is not as chemical resistant as I'd like but it works SOMETIMES.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You have a 36' ice box and the cold air from in back will work it's way up front. You need to use the house heater, also. That will warm things up nicely.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Black will burn. You can use fire-block foam which will even take a direct flame. OTOH, even the black or white "Stuff" is good for around 240 degrees and I doubt it will see those kinds of heat.