cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lino cracked after cold spell

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
We had some very cold temps last week (-35C) and when I went out to the trailer the other day this is what I found.

We've owned this trailer 10 years and this is the first time we had any issues with the flooring. I Googled it and found a site that said if the lino is only perimeter glued like ours seems to be this can happen. Can't wait to see what's hiding under the slide.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge
26 REPLIES 26

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
OK, got it now. Never used one but looks like it would do the job

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherguy wrote:
Try this link

Link

That's the tool. I have used it installing hardwood around fireplaces and cabinets, handy tool to have around for odd cuts.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Try this link

Link

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
It's called a couture gauge, $10-$15 exact shape. Try word floors around a rock fire place, plank floors around cabinets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools........Bh1RNAR-EAQYASABEgIR4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Link doesn't work and I don't understand your comment:?

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
If you want to replace sheet vinyl yourself and worried about screwing up all the cuts in a small area just get some of this paper or similar and make a template. No need for a professional. Maybe cut a little big and trim.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Builder-s-Paper-1-Pack-Paper-3-ft-x-140-ft-Drop-Cloth/50265367
I have done that before in small baths. Probably could find some nice vinyl remnants ( roll ends )pretty cheap. Just check, some of the better vinyls are not supposed to be glued all over, depends on the backing.

I am sold on the new vinyl planking but not sure how it would do in really cold climates. Luckily we don't have hat issue.

It's called a couture gauge, $10-$15 exact shape. Try word floors around a rock fire place, plank floors around cabinets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools-Instruments-6-in-Stainless-Steel-Contour-Gauge/1016371?cm_mmc...
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisherguy wrote:
You say this happens every spring does it? Well then please ignore my ignorance, I did a search on it and found nothing!

Also, you assume I have some of the matching 12 year old lino laying around which I can assure you is not the case.

Thanks for you 2 cents though...

You may not have gotten any hits based on the search words you used, but it certainly does come up pretty regularly.

This was the first couple that came up when I searched.

Minnie Winnie Flooring Cracked Thread.

Second thread where cracked flooring (and tub surround) cracked.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherguy wrote:
You say this happens every spring does it? Well then please ignore my ignorance, I did a search on it and found nothing!

Also, you assume I have some of the matching 12 year old lino laying around which I can assure you is not the case.

I'm not saying that this will happen every Spring, but it does happen to someone every Spring. There HAVE been numerous posts about it. Why does the new linoleum have to match, you will be replacing the entire floor in that room. Sorry if you are offended. Just trying to help. I've fixed several of these over the years. I can understand that you are upset, just trying to help.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
This post comes up every Spring. A little early this year. The vinyl is not glued down. It is rolled out onto the floor before the walls, cabinets go in. It cracks because of expansion contractraction due to the cold. Very easy to repair. Cut the old sheet out around the edge, use it as a template for the new sheet. Lay it in loose, hold it around the edges with 1/4 round. No glue, no self sticking tiles, they won't work very long.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to replace sheet vinyl yourself and worried about screwing up all the cuts in a small area just get some of this paper or similar and make a template. No need for a professional. Maybe cut a little big and trim.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Builder-s-Paper-1-Pack-Paper-3-ft-x-140-ft-Drop-Cloth/50265367
I have done that before in small baths. Probably could find some nice vinyl remnants ( roll ends )pretty cheap. Just check, some of the better vinyls are not supposed to be glued all over, depends on the backing.

I am sold on the new vinyl planking but not sure how it would do in really cold climates. Luckily we don't have hat issue.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't try to replace the lino myself, the people that do it for a living could do a nice job pretty quickly.
If I was going to do it myself I'd go with Allure flooring or some other vinyl product.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherguy wrote:
Ya, it was a shock for sure. We moved from the Vancouver area to the cariboo in BC, this winter has been the coldest since we moved here 2 years ago but the local RV place confirmed they see this happen up here when it gets really cold. Hasn't been that cold for 7-8 years I was told.

They recommended "end of the roll" for the repair if we just decide to go with new lino.

When we looked at all that, it turned out that OEM lino as in your photo, is equivalent to $1.00/sq ft tile, the lowest there is. You can get way better lino or individual 1 sq ft tiles instead, and use the 1/4 round idea mentioned above. Works great.

I like the individual tiles, since you can cut them to fit around whatever, and if you screw up it is only one tile. With a great big sheet of lino, you cut it and if you get it wrong the whole thing is ruined. Naturally it is hard to get it right when using the whole sheet.

I find the individual sticky tiles don't stick well so use spray glue also. Afterwards wipe the tops of the tiles with mineral spirits where any glue got sprayed on.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, it was a shock for sure. We moved from the Vancouver area to the cariboo in BC, this winter has been the coldest since we moved here 2 years ago but the local RV place confirmed they see this happen up here when it gets really cold. Hasn't been that cold for 7-8 years I was told.

They recommended "end of the roll" for the repair if we just decide to go with new lino.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Also had it happen in our last 5er on main level. First time it was covered under warranty...then the bathroom cracked weeks before I sold it so I discounted it to the buyer. Sadly there was a period where the flooring was of poor quality and susceptible to thermal shock and tearing. Fully gluing it down would help but of course costs mfg more. Hopefully you find a suitable replacement and take care of the repair. Imagine how many new units sat on the lot and had their floors do this?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)