cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEED ASSISTANCE... ATWOOD AFMD FURNACE

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2018 class A gas unit with an Atwood afm series furnace. My problem is that it was sooting up and smelling, even to the point of sounding off the CO alarm. I thought I had a dirt dauber problem maybe so I took the unit completely apart and flushed the heat tubes. I was wrong and that is not the issue. Ran a snake from stem to stern through it and got nothing at all. Flushed it with water also and got nothing but good flow. Here where my plot thickens. Not only have I not found the original problem, but now have another one. After putting it all back together, I now have a problem with nothing at all happening when turning the heater on. I checked the wiring diagram and see not issue, however it is possible that I am overlooking something. When we first put it back together I got a single flash light on the circuit board which pointed to the limit switch. Now though, after swapping out a couple of wires that were put in the wrong place initially, I get nothing. Any ideas? Could the limit switch getting wet during the flush, could it be stuck open not allowing the circuit to be complete upon startup. ALSO, could someone send a picture of their circuit board just to make sure the wiring is correct?
17 REPLIES 17

warpz256
Explorer
Explorer

sounds like low gas pressure or the air flow is low. check the burner blower wheel for dirt

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
PS... thanks for everyone's help!!

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE... After replacing the board with a Dinosaur brand, it now is working as designed. I do take responsibility for shorting the board out, but not only did it start and run after it's replacement, but did so without sooting or smelling. So while I am perplexed about what exactly did fix it, I am also happy to move on.

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has no diagnostic code flashing at all.
I will recheck my test on the sail switch, I do know it was operating from closed to open after removal, just cannot remember at this point in time whether it was closed before the startup or open.
Thanks, I will update when I have a change or more information.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
VilleDeal wrote:
I have now tested the limit switch and it is closed as it should be.
I have also tested the off/reset switch and have resistance when it is on reset and have no resistance when it is off which should also be correct.
I do have 12 volts to the board, so am I to suppose I need to replaced the circuit board at this point do you reckon?

You stated the sail switch is closed "as it should be"
My Atwood 8531 sail switch is normally open when the furnace is not running. When the thermostat calls for heat one of the pre checks is looking for an open circuit on the sail switch. If it's found closed the board goes into lockout. No fan, nothing.

3rd poster provided a link, open link and scroll down to the wiring schematic. Sail Switch N.O. (normally open).
Any diagnostic codes from the ignitor board?

Even a failing sail switch can look good using a volt meter. My rear furnace would occasionally not run when calling for heat. Dyno board flashing a sail switch closed error. I pulled sail switch and it tested good. Purchased sail switch, installed and now furnace starts when called for heat.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest a Dinosaur electronics version of the circuit board.
Call them for correct unit. They do not sell direct but available on Amazon.
Dinosaur Electronics

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have now tested the limit switch and it is closed as it should be.
I have also tested the off/reset switch and have resistance when it is on reset and have no resistance when it is off which should also be correct.
I do have 12 volts to the board, so am I to suppose I need to replaced the circuit board at this point do you reckon?

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I'm confident that the wiring is correct now per the wiring diagram.
Tied the two blue thermostat wires together and still got nothing at all at last check.
I took the reset/off switch to check it and the resistance of the limit switch while I am at it.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There are 3 wires and a multiwire quick connect on the Circuit board
1 wire is the spark ignitor wire and is distinctive from the piezo tower to the burner
the other 2 wires are for the Fan Motor relay and the spade terminals are different sizes and CANNOT be attached wrong
the multi quick connect only fits one way.
So, your Circuit board is connected correctly.

VilleDeal
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going to go look at it today. My rig is not parked nearby so I have to go a ways to get to it. I do have the wiring diagram in my owner's book. I am relatively sure now the wiring is correct. I will start by tying the two blue wires of the thermostat to make sure it is not the problem with it now doing nothing at all when the heat switch is turned on at the thermostat.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
enblethen wrote:
Here is manual that should help.Manual
I would blow the furnace compartment out good with compressed air, compressor or can will work.
Have you tested the thermostat? At furnace connect the two blue wires on terminal block. Furnace fan should start immediately. In 15-20 seconds burner should kick in. separating the two blue wires the furnace should go into cool down mode and then shut off.
If no operation, Check the circuit breaker to insure it is energized. This is mounted on motor housing.

Have you figured it out yet? The manual that enblethen linked has a wiring diagram.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d STOP right now. your not sure of the wiring. you could damage other things by just flipping wires.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It would not hurt to jumper circuit breaker for testing only! You could take test with voltmeter. One lead to ground, other lead to each side of breaker terminals. You should have 12 volts one each side.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow