cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Whidbey Rv Park @ Oak Harbor,WA

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking of booking this RV park this summer in Aug.
Does anyone know any pros and cons about this park?
I have read all the reviews online it seems to be nice.
a lot cheaper the the other parks in the area

please and thankyou
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile
19 REPLIES 19

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Steamboat Rock is one location that required a Discovery Pass for toad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Not always true or things have changed! On East side, we have had to get one for the toad. This is the same as in other states. Once you unhook a toad, you need the pass.
I am hoping the the legislature passes the elimination of it! Washington has lost a lot of tourism because of it. Here we are paying taxes, gas tax and the discovery pass.
Many on this side of the hills have stopped using state parks!

He does not have a towed, he is in a TT. I have been to WA parks yearly and you drop you TT, 5W, or towed. Yes they give you a gate pass shows your camping in the park. The discovery pass is a state wide pass $30 for a year to help maintain the parks. Moses Lake may not need it, but I believe those are all privet CG's. You'll need it at Sun Lakes,Steam Boat Rock, Pot Holes etc. It's not just a western state issue. https://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/31/About-the-Pass
BTW: they taxed me out, I'm liking 300+ days of sun, a lot lower cost of living, and No Inslee.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Not always true or things have changed! On East side, we have had to get one for the toad. This is the same as in other states. Once you unhook a toad, you need the pass.z
I am hoping the the legislature passes the elimination of it! Washington has lost a lot of tourism because of it. Here we are paying taxes, gas tax and the discovery pass.

We have been able to talk our way past that requirement when we are camping at a WA SP. We can leave and return in the towed vehicle, which is required to be connected upon arrival.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not always true or things have changed! On East side, we have had to get one for the toad. This is the same as in other states. Once you unhook a toad, you need the pass.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
rollexx wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I do not believe Deception Pass has any full hook ups!
You must add the Discovery Pass to the rate.

You donโ€™t need a Discovery pass if you are camping there.

That is correct.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

You donโ€™t need a Discovery pass if you are camping there.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Actually they are EA18-G "Growlers" used for electronic warfare. They stop their operations before 11pm each night, if the're flying. There are also P-3 Orions, and P-8s (a 737 Variant) which are much quieter. There are 30 more Growlers proposed for use at NAS Whidbey Island. . . yikes. There are lawsuits and environmental impact challenges.

We've lived under their Northerly flight path for 43 years, and are mostly used to the noise. I hardly look up anymore. It's only really bad when they fly under the cloud cover "dirty" with wheels and flaps down.

There used to be a billboard at the entrance to the NAS that said: Pardon Our Noise, it's the Sound of Freedom.

Yep, we live on the north end of Camano Island. As an aviation geek and a volunteer at Paul Allen's Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum, I never get tired of the noise. I love it.
It's sad that new residents of the area, are trying to get the base closed down.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I lived there 25 years the state parks fill fast so make a reservation way ahead, like 6 months. The entire island a tourist destination. Oak Harbor City beach has closed camping. You will have Deception Pass SP, Ebey SP, Ft Casy SP, South Whidbey SP, and a little known Rhododendron Park just south of Coupeville. Rodi park is the better if you want to boondock, just basic sites with vault toilets, easy to miss watch the right side entrance is kind of hidden.

https://www.islandcountywa.gov/PublicWorks/Parks/Pages/rhododendron-park.aspx

As the sign at the base said: Pardon our noise, it's the sound of freedom.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Actually they are EA18-G "Growlers" used for electronic warfare. They stop their operations before 11pm each night, if the're flying. There are also P-3 Orions, and P-8s (a 737 Variant) which are much quieter. There are 30 more Growlers proposed for use at NAS Whidbey Island. . . yikes. There are lawsuits and environmental impact challenges.

We've lived under their Northerly flight path for 43 years, and are mostly used to the noise. I hardly look up anymore. It's only really bad when they fly under the cloud cover "dirty" with wheels and flaps down.

There used to be a billboard at the entrance to the NAS that said: Pardon Our Noise, it's the Sound of Freedom.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Here is link to Deception Pass State Park
Washington State Parks are very expensive.
Rates

Very expensive? $40 to $50 for a FHU site? What is considered not very expensive?

Washington parks a 10-20 per night more than the beautiful state parks in Oregon. Triple what seniors pay in national parks and forests.

We love Washington but we can't afford their parks.

Jesseannie

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Oops: They were โ€œF-18โ€™sโ€. The USN flies โ€œF-18โ€™sโ€. The USAF flies โ€œF-16โ€™sโ€.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at N. Whidbey RV Pk 2 nights in September. It is right on SR-20 adjacent to the entrance to Deception Pass SP. We were camped far enough back that road noise was not an issue, but the jets were.

F-16โ€™s at adjacent NAS Whidbey weโ€™re doing โ€œtouch and goesโ€ and flying no more than 400โ€™ right over our heads. This went on from when we got there at 3pm until about 9pm and went on for 10-12 hrs during the next 24 hr day. Sunday it stopped. I asked the lady at the office and was told this isnโ€™t the norm, โ€œbut it happens from time to time.โ€

We have stayed at all 3 WA SPโ€™s in the Oak Harbor area many times over the years (Deception Pass, Ft. Ebey, Ft. Casey) and the fighter jets are always something to be taken into consideration. I am a local. We have never let the jets determine our camping plans. Thatโ€™s the worst it has ever been, but with a Naval Air Station so close to some of the most beautiful camping in the state, itโ€™s the price to pay when the fighter jets are doing โ€œtouch and goesโ€.

N. Whidbey RV Pk is a good one. We would stay there again if the 3 SPโ€™s in the area are full.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Here is link to Deception Pass State Park
Washington State Parks are very expensive.
Rates

Very expensive? $40 to $50 for a FHU site? What is considered not very expensive?