cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help with Utility Trailer Decision

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Need to get 10-12' utility trailer primarily to haul our SxS UTV behind the coach. On occasion to haul mower or small tractor for service (TV for that will be the pickup).

Am I better off getting the deck made with 2x6 treated wood or with 1/4" steel diamond plate? And why?

Everything else is the same except for total weight and cost, and they're so close wood vs steel it's negligible and irrelevant.
22 REPLIES 22

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
I also had to replace my 16' utility trailers wood floor after a few years.

I rented an aluminum trailer for a day from Tractor Supply since my trailer was 125 miles away. I hauled a SxS on it and it worked great. A nice little trailer that they also sell.
I thought about the aluminum trailer from TS when I bought my steel/wood trailer. Since I don't use it very often I could not justify the additional expense. They are nice and light weight.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I also had to replace my 16' utility trailers wood floor after a few years.

I rented an aluminum trailer for a day from Tractor Supply since my trailer was 125 miles away. I hauled a SxS on it and it worked great. A nice little trailer that they also sell.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2 x 6 wood floor utility trailer and after 3 years needed to replace the wood. I was taking my garden tractor in for service and the one front tire fell through the floor.

After inspecting the rest of the boards I ended up replacing the entire floor.

If I had to do it over again I would purchase an enclosed trailer. I know there is added cost but they can be used to haul equipment and household items without issue and protected from the elements.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

B_GAGE
Explorer
Explorer
We went with an aluminum flatbed to save weight.
Click For Full-Size Image.
Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
When shopping for a trailer for my Kubota 1860, I had a choice of steel with wood or steel deck, or aluminum. Both 6x12 trailers were single axle and had a GVW of 2K, but the difference was the steel was 500 lbs heavier. I chose aluminum which gave me that much more in carrying weight. The price was a bit more, but it's been well worth it:

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Remember dimensional lumber is not sized per identification. for example a 2X4 is closer to 1.5X 3.5
Treated lumber comes in different chemical methods.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
If you go with a wood deck, I would request 5/4" PT deck boards. They will last longer that even PT 3/4" plywood. Make sure the floor can be replaced without having to dismantle the sides.

Every wood floor utility trailer I've ever seen or used has 2x lumber for the flooring, so no issues there. (or thicker if a heavier trailer)
Enclosed trailers typically get plywood or some variant of.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Enclosed trailer, wood floor; and E-Track along the walls. That way you can easily put anchor points in it.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Define treated wood...
- Plywood, I would probably go with steel.
- Treated Dimensional lumber...unless you are dragging heavy equipment across it regularly, it will probably outlast you.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a wood deck, I would request 5/4" PT deck boards. They will last longer that even PT 3/4" plywood. Make sure the floor can be replaced without having to dismantle the sides.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
I have hauled touring bikes on an open trailer behind the rv. I wasn't impressed with the amount of **** all over the bikes. I switched to an enclosed trailer. Its nice to have a portable garage behind the rv. You can also store other items like BBqs, spare tires, tool etc in the trailer. When it comes to toys, its nice to have them out of sight when you are away doing the tourist thing. Out of sight, is out of mind. The rear ramp is also nice. This feature can be had with a landscape type open deck trailer as well. Wooden decks are desirable on open trailers in my opinion. They are easy to maintain. The deck will last close to ten years or longer. They are easily replaced once they get rotted. Most will come with pressure treated wood.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small trailer with the expanded metal floor. It is probably 15 years old. The floor is bowed and dented in a few places, but no places where the metal has torn or rusted through.

If all you haul are wheeled items, I don't know that it matters very much. If you are going to haul other things such as furniture, rocks, soil, etc, the wood floor will allow you slide things around and off of the trailer than the metal floor doesn't. I've hauled rocks and soil before, but I have to either put wood down or put a tarp down before loading.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through this a couple of months ago. I wanted a enclosed trailer but did not want to spend the money, not only for the trailer but taxes and license. I bought a treated wood floor trailer for a couple of reasons. In KS a trailer under 2k does not need to be tagged, plan on hauling a couple of 500 pound maxi-scooters. On sale from Tractor Supply.

I made a few modifications. I added a couple of bike hold down wheel chocks. I purchased a tongue mounted box from Harbor Freight for tie downs and wheel chocks ect. I purchased a led light kit to replace the incandescent ones. I upgraded the tires and wheels (It came with very cheap Carlisle tires).

As for wood vs steel trailer floor which is best I don't know.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have had both and never a problem with either. Well treated wood last a long time even stored outside as mine have always been.