Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need Help with Utility Trailer Decision
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Need Help with Utility Trailer Decision

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went through this a couple of months ago. I wanted a enclosed trailer but did not want to spend the money, not only for the trailer but taxes and license. I bought a treated wood floor trailer for a couple of reasons. In KS a trailer under 2k does not need to be tagged, plan on hauling a couple of 500 pound maxi-scooters. On sale from Tractor Supply.

I made a few modifications. I added a couple of bike hold down wheel chocks. I purchased a tongue mounted box from Harbor Freight for tie downs and wheel chocks ect. I purchased a led light kit to replace the incandescent ones. I upgraded the tires and wheels (It came with very cheap Carlisle tires).

As for wood vs steel trailer floor which is best I don't know.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a small trailer with the expanded metal floor. It is probably 15 years old. The floor is bowed and dented in a few places, but no places where the metal has torn or rusted through.

If all you haul are wheeled items, I don't know that it matters very much. If you are going to haul other things such as furniture, rocks, soil, etc, the wood floor will allow you slide things around and off of the trailer than the metal floor doesn't. I've hauled rocks and soil before, but I have to either put wood down or put a tarp down before loading.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have hauled touring bikes on an open trailer behind the rv. I wasn't impressed with the amount of **** all over the bikes. I switched to an enclosed trailer. Its nice to have a portable garage behind the rv. You can also store other items like BBqs, spare tires, tool etc in the trailer. When it comes to toys, its nice to have them out of sight when you are away doing the tourist thing. Out of sight, is out of mind. The rear ramp is also nice. This feature can be had with a landscape type open deck trailer as well. Wooden decks are desirable on open trailers in my opinion. They are easy to maintain. The deck will last close to ten years or longer. They are easily replaced once they get rotted. Most will come with pressure treated wood.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with a wood deck, I would request 5/4" PT deck boards. They will last longer that even PT 3/4" plywood. Make sure the floor can be replaced without having to dismantle the sides.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 02:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Define treated wood...
- Plywood, I would probably go with steel.
- Treated Dimensional lumber...unless you are dragging heavy equipment across it regularly, it will probably outlast you.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enclosed trailer, wood floor; and E-Track along the walls. That way you can easily put anchor points in it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

If you go with a wood deck, I would request 5/4" PT deck boards. They will last longer that even PT 3/4" plywood. Make sure the floor can be replaced without having to dismantle the sides.

Every wood floor utility trailer I've ever seen or used has 2x lumber for the flooring, so no issues there. (or thicker if a heavier trailer)
Enclosed trailers typically get plywood or some variant of.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember dimensional lumber is not sized per identification. for example a 2X4 is closer to 1.5X 3.5
Treated lumber comes in different chemical methods.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When shopping for a trailer for my Kubota 1860, I had a choice of steel with wood or steel deck, or aluminum. Both 6x12 trailers were single axle and had a GVW of 2K, but the difference was the steel was 500 lbs heavier. I chose aluminum which gave me that much more in carrying weight. The price was a bit more, but it's been well worth it:

[image]

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

B GAGE

9443' high in the Colorado Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with an aluminum flatbed to save weight.[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

* This post was edited 01/22/20 03:11pm by B GAGE *

Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Need Help with Utility Trailer Decision
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.