cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EZ-Pass. New York or Massachusetts account?

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
This summer we plan to take our travel trailer down the Eastern Seaboard and I expect to run into a few toll-roads on the way so I plan to set up an EZ-Pass account in one of the states that offer no-cost transponders. So far it looks like either MA or NY will fill the bill.
My question is this: Sometimes I will have four axles (while towing) or two axles (while visiting sites), will I need two transponders or will the system automagically charge the correct amount based on the number of axles as I go through the toll station?
I believe NY offers two transponders but I'm not sure about MA.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel
16 REPLIES 16

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
NY has a way to count axles. I use the same transponder towing and not, and the charge will reflect a passenger vehicle, or 3 or 4 axles depending on what I'm towing.

Thanks. I'll call them to set up an account since the online application doesn't seem to quite fit my configuration.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
NY has a way to count axles. I use the same transponder towing and not, and the charge will reflect a passenger vehicle, or 3 or 4 axles depending on what I'm towing.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I have an EZpass account in NH. There was a one time fee for the transponder and then that was it. Just keep a positive balance in the account, replenishes automatically from a CC. I use the one transponder in a couple different vehicles w/wout trailer.

The only time I was mischarged, Illinois missed a trailer axle. I did not call to complain.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have not heard of "EZPass Extra". From what I understand, any state that uses EZPass will recognize any EZPass, no matter where you got it. What does the "Extra" do?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Dave5143 wrote:
cavie wrote:
Use EZpass or Epass Extra. Epass Extra is good in 18 eastern states.You register your rig and trailer or toad. The cameras figure it out. MA has pay by plate if you have no transponder. Any state that does that adds an admin fee to the tolls. Epass Extra is a 1 time $18.00 cost for a portable transponder.You keep a minimum $10.00 balance in your account and get it automatically refilled with credit card. You can order one over the phone in Florida. They will send it to you

Hadn't heard about this before. Hopefully only one transponder is requested (at $18.50 a pop) and the cameras all figure out the correct toll.
Still I'm kind of leaning toward setting up an account in NY and requesting two transponders.

Correct me if I am wrong but the camera takes a picture of the front plate of the tow vehicle so it can't see the rear plate on the trailer. You get charged then for the tow vehicle only
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We have just 1 NY E-Z Pass transponder and use it for either DW * DS car along w/ the truck. Never had a problem with any toll. Forgot how I set it up, but want to think it was for 4H (4 High). When towing the 5er, we get charged accordingly. In our work trucks (semis) we go thru the toll booths w/ 1 trailer, 1 trailer and dolly or 2 trailers and sometimes just the truck. No probs.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I have two New York Transponders. One for when I'm towing our 5th wheel (4 axles total) and one for when I'm just in my truck. They work fine and I've had no issues. The only place I had to use it outside of New York State was in West Virginia on the turnpike. Your trip may take you to other toll roads. We are in Florida for the winter and not every toll road accepts the EZ Pass so I got a Sun Pass also. If you decide on doing the same as I did, just make sure you mark each transponder so you know which is which. Ours look identical.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. I have noted your comment about marking which transponder is which. I'm guessing each one has a unique serial number printed on it though.
I have looked over the application for a private entity and nowhere do I see a way of registering a trailer. I guess I'll need to call their customer service number to get everything set up correctly.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
Use EZpass or Epass Extra. Epass Extra is good in 18 eastern states.You register your rig and trailer or toad. The cameras figure it out. MA has pay by plate if you have no transponder. Any state that does that adds an admin fee to the tolls. Epass Extra is a 1 time $18.00 cost for a portable transponder.You keep a minimum $10.00 balance in your account and get it automatically refilled with credit card. You can order one over the phone in Florida. They will send it to you

Hadn't heard about this before. Hopefully only one transponder is requested (at $18.50 a pop) and the cameras all figure out the correct toll.
Still I'm kind of leaning toward setting up an account in NY and requesting two transponders.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in NY and have 2 vehicles, 1 for the car and 3 for the truck. 2. 3 and 4 axles to make sure I don't get over charged.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
gemsworld wrote:
I went trough a couple of toll roads in NY without a pass last spring and I received the bill in the mail. The bill wasn't a fine, just the cost of the tolls.

While your statement is true, you may find the toll is less if you use an ez-pass.
As an example, a 4 axle, Class 3 (15,000 to 19,000 LB) vehicle from one end of the PA Turnpike to the other will cost you $130.80 if paying the toll yourself at the booth. With the ez-pass it will cost you $85.40.
Also if your ez-pass is not present or operating they will charge you a fee for using the video to bill you.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I went trough a couple of toll roads in NY without a pass last spring and I received the bill in the mail. The bill wasn't a fine, just the cost of the tolls.

I've heard from quite a few people that they have done the same but I think I'd prefer to work within the system and setup an account anyway. It might avoid problems down the road. I don't mind.
Just glad us Arizonans don't have to deal with tollroads. Yet.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK

Community Alumni
Not applicable