cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ford 7.3 Gas

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I’m planning to get back to truck camping by fall and spend a lot of time seeing the country. Life is short and I’m not getting any younger.
I’ve had many trucks and campers and have been a loyal Dodge/Ram Cummins fan.
However, with the cost and complexity of the new diesels I’m considering a gas engine.
I like simple, basic and reliable and the new Ford 7.3 seems to be that engine.
With old school cam in block design, it’s about as basic as they come.
The power numbers seem pretty impressive (430 hp/475 to) and it makes over 400 ft/lb of torque below 2000 rpm. The 10 speed transmission will make it even better.
It adds about $1700 to the standard gas package so about $8k less than the diesel.
It’s also a lighter and smaller engine due to the design which will help payload.
They are starting to show up at the dealers but it’s a new design so really no long term reviews yet.
I would likely get the DRW and would prefer 4:30 gears but may have to order as 3:73 seem to be common.
I’m thinking the only negative is the fuel mileage but the new diesels aren’t getting what they used to and gas is much cheaper as well as the $8k savings of buying a diesel.
Also, no $10-15k out of pocket cost to replace the fuel system when the pump fails and contaminates the entire system.
I was really disappointed to see Ram switch to the CP4 fuel pump for 2019.
This may be a great TC hauler.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
68 REPLIES 68

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And only people with more dollars than sense would do an Alli swap into a Dodge.
Have to be a special kind of brand loyal to just not go get a duramax if that’s what you wanted.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
noteven wrote:

3 tons - take a look at a company in Florida called Custom Automatic Conversions they specialize in Allison to Cummins engine work.

Fewer and fewer people are making that mistake.
Swapping in an Allison is a $10,000++ proposition and it’s not worth it.
A properly built 47RE Dodge trans is actually stronger.
The bad reputation is all from people throwing power and weight at stock ones.

Consider this: a whole lot of Chevy race trucks running Duramax engines have Dodge 47REs swapped into them!!

Spend $5000-$7000 on building the Dodge trans instead.

But it’s only a good racing trans and grocery getter.
4 speeds behind a Cummins is like a power glide behind a half ton truck. Both s Uck for towing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
noteven wrote:

3 tons - take a look at a company in Florida called Custom Automatic Conversions they specialize in Allison to Cummins engine work.

Consider this: a whole lot of Chevy race trucks running Duramax engines have Dodge 47REs swapped into them!!

Ya the Dodge auto can be super built.

When I priced an Allison swap I’m going from a manual 6 spd to the Allison and the Allison was going to have Allison reman warranty good at Allison dealers and be programmed for tow haul more like a medium duty truck. I had a buy lined up for my manual stuff so my net money was going to be around $6 or $7k. Not a race setup.

Anyways I left it manual it’s semi retired to ranch work now and my camper truck is a Ford that has a 6 spd tow haul trans that works how I want it to.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
yep that is the camper special. We have a trailer made out of the back end of one of those with a welding skid in it. It has a tool box where that spare tire carrier is.

The metal gauge is not of the tin foil type 🙂

specta
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

Thanks specta - I've owned 5 various campers and all were c of g ahead of the rear axle on 2006 and 2012 trucks.

I always want tow capability with my camper so I look for c of g as far ahead as possible.

Learn something every day. 🙂

I'm guessing that this is the camper special you are referring to.
Ford built these F-350 Super Camper Specials from 1973-1979.

They also made the camper that is sitting on it and they were HEAVY. If I remember correctly the camper was actually built by Four Seasons, the same company that made the factory Ford shells.

When Ford moved the rear axle further back they had to relocate the spare tire. I worked with a guy named Steve Kersey at a Ford dealer back in 2008 and he worked for FoMoCo back in 1970-73 and he was the one who designed that spare carrier.

Ford gave Steve $7000 and a brand new 1972 Ford LTD for coming up with the design.

I owned a 1972 F-250 camper special and other than the tail pipe being extended to get the exhaust away from the camper I don't remember what other features were included.

I also owned a 1979 Ford F-260 that was a camper special. It came with front and rear sway bars and it was pre-wired for a camper.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
noteven wrote:
Kayteg1 - who built your truck camper with a c of g that removes weight from the steer axle and why would they do that do you think?

My camper loaded for camping removes 100 lbs off the steer axle.

Thanks specta - I've owned 5 various campers and all were c of g ahead of the rear axle on 2006 and 2012 trucks.

I always want tow capability with my camper so I look for c of g as far ahead as possible.

Learn something every day. 🙂

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:
noteven wrote:
Kayteg1 - who built your truck camper with a c of g that removes weight from the steer axle and why would they do that do you think?

Thanks specta - I've owned 5 slide in campers and non was built with the c of g behind the rear axle -

But come to think of it "Camper Special" trucks used to be built on a longer wheelbase than a std 8ft box truck so I bet some campers from those days would be aft c of g on a modern pickup.

Learn something ever day 🙂

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

I think you are putting blame on truck builder, when the blame is to share with camper builder as well.
Last time Ford build "camper special" truck was I think over 40 years ago.
That truck had rear axle mounted towards the end of the bed.
For last decades, truck manufacturers don't care about building good truck for TC mounting, so we have to deal with truck design for grocery getting, having rear axle about 1/2 way of the bed length.
When you put 12' TC on it, camper COG will be behind the axle as generator, batteries and holding tanks are in the rear of camper.
That placement of COG cantilevers camper weight, lifting some weight from front axle.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigfootford wrote:
3 tons wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
That new 7.3 is way above the old 7.5 460 gasser.. I am impressed.

My f250 with it's 4100lb camper on and towing a 2500lb trailer or a 2,000 lb toad it pulled quite good but on some real steep curvy roads it was close to running out of power! Like coming out of Shelter Cove Calif.. and some other places.. 4.10 rear and E4od trans.

Old 7.5 205-275 hp and 345-375 torque

New 7.3 430 hp and 475 torque!

That is some impressive numbers!

Jim

Haw, If I was a youngster like you I would have not one of these but a nice Dodge with a great diesel.. and a 6 speed Alison trans.. That is my want... Skipro3's truck to me is a great rig.

Ok, I’m looking forward to seeing one in your driveway!!

3 tons

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
The tires on my F350 dually give it 18,000 lb capacity.
Rear axle was derated from what I heard. so taxable 14,900lb is way below actual capabilities.
That still doesn't show their knowledge about TC use.

Please post the stock tires and wheels you have on your f350 drw thatt are rated at 4500 pounds each in dual application.

Hold your horses...
Add up all 6 tires is what he meant.

Here comes 3rd (?) grade math.
6x4500=27000
Long way from 18000 we are seeking.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
That still doesn't show their knowledge about TC use.

It doesn’t show their lack of knowledge either.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member