Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: New Ford 7.3 Gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ford 7.3 Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m planning to get back to truck camping by fall and spend a lot of time seeing the country. Life is short and I’m not getting any younger.
I’ve had many trucks and campers and have been a loyal Dodge/Ram Cummins fan.
However, with the cost and complexity of the new diesels I’m considering a gas engine.
I like simple, basic and reliable and the new Ford 7.3 seems to be that engine.
With old school cam in block design, it’s about as basic as they come.
The power numbers seem pretty impressive (430 hp/475 to) and it makes over 400 ft/lb of torque below 2000 rpm. The 10 speed transmission will make it even better.
It adds about $1700 to the standard gas package so about $8k less than the diesel.
It’s also a lighter and smaller engine due to the design which will help payload.
They are starting to show up at the dealers but it’s a new design so really no long term reviews yet.
I would likely get the DRW and would prefer 4:30 gears but may have to order as 3:73 seem to be common.
I’m thinking the only negative is the fuel mileage but the new diesels aren’t getting what they used to and gas is much cheaper as well as the $8k savings of buying a diesel.
Also, no $10-15k out of pocket cost to replace the fuel system when the pump fails and contaminates the entire system.
I was really disappointed to see Ram switch to the CP4 fuel pump for 2019.
This may be a great TC hauler.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do one thing, test drive the 4.30 gears and the 3.73 gears before ordering. I test drove 3.55 and 4.10 gears in an F350 V10 gasser many years ago. The 3.55 gears made that truck a slug. I got out pulled by a 4 cyl Camry on I-65 in downtown Birmingham. The 4.10 geared truck was a rocket.

Good luck,
bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

MNGeeks61

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FireGuard wrote:

I’m planning to get back to truck camping by fall and spend a lot of time seeing the country. Life is short and I’m not getting any younger.
I’ve had many trucks and campers and have been a loyal Dodge/Ram Cummins fan.
However, with the cost and complexity of the new diesels I’m considering a gas engine.
I like simple, basic and reliable and the new Ford 7.3 seems to be that engine.
With old school cam in block design, it’s about as basic as they come.
The power numbers seem pretty impressive (430 hp/475 to) and it makes over 400 ft/lb of torque below 2000 rpm. The 10 speed transmission will make it even better.
It adds about $1700 to the standard gas package so about $8k less than the diesel.
It’s also a lighter and smaller engine due to the design which will help payload.
They are starting to show up at the dealers but it’s a new design so really no long term reviews yet.
I would likely get the DRW and would prefer 4:30 gears but may have to order as 3:73 seem to be common.
I’m thinking the only negative is the fuel mileage but the new diesels aren’t getting what they used to and gas is much cheaper as well as the $8k savings of buying a diesel.
Also, no $10-15k out of pocket cost to replace the fuel system when the pump fails and contaminates the entire system.
I was really disappointed to see Ram switch to the CP4 fuel pump for 2019.
This may be a great TC hauler.

Out of curiosity, doesn't the 6.4 Hemi with 410/429 tq meet your needs? you could still stick with Ram. They'll run a little cheaper too.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it could be a great combination but I would give any new engine a couple of years of evolution before buying.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point Brad.
The 6.4 Hemi should be a good combo with the 8 speed trans as a big complaint with the 6 speed was the gear splits.
There are some posts of the Hemi having issues with cam wearing and valve train failure as well as requiring expensive oil. Also think it may require premium gas.
I like the 7.3 for its simple and hopefully Bullet proof reliability.
I also like the look of the new Ford trucks.
The good thing is that I have about 8 months to decide. Planning a 3-4 week trip in October.
I also get to research campers again. ??
Will be looking at a 9-10’ slide out. IE Lance 995/975 or AF 990/992.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have been interested in the new 7.3 gas Ford F350. I own a 2011 f250 with the 6.2 gasser with a 6 speed tranny. I think the 10 speed tranny with more power would be good in the mountains.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to buy a new truck it would be the new 7.3 with the 10 speed trans.

I'd prefer a Chevy but I haven't heard any good about GM sticking with a 6 speed trans for their new 6.6.

I wouldn't worry about the new 7.3 being a first year engine. Its old technology built by new technology.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FireGuard wrote:

Good point Brad.
The 6.4 Hemi should be a good combo with the 8 speed trans as a big complaint with the 6 speed was the gear splits.
There are some posts of the Hemi having issues with cam wearing and valve train failure as well as requiring expensive oil. Also think it may require premium gas.
I like the 7.3 for its simple and hopefully Bullet proof reliability.
I also like the look of the new Ford trucks.
The good thing is that I have about 8 months to decide. Planning a 3-4 week trip in October.
I also get to research campers again. ??
Will be looking at a 9-10’ slide out. IE Lance 995/975 or AF 990/992.

My last purchase, I was contemplating going back to a gasoline, but I tow a 4-ton trailer behind my 3-ton truck camper and mountain passes are in most of my travels. I didn't want to buy something that was going to be approaching its operating limits and stayed with diesel.

Some of the other things I looked at was reduced mileage also would give me reduced range. Was there a sufficiently large fuel tank (OEM or aftermarket) for the range I wanted? Since I travel into elevations often, what kind of performance hit was I going to take with a normally aspirated engine than one with forced induction?

If I was only carrying a camper and not towing, I would not hesitate to choose a gasoline powered truck. The new transmissions really help (even if they hadn't updated the engines).

You may want to add The Adventurer 910DB and Host Cascade to the list of campers to check out. Both of these are about the same size with some differences from the ones you chose.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam, you can order a 48 gal tank with the new Ford gassers.

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an owner of a Ram 3500, SRW, 6.4 gasser, with 3.73 gears, and 6 speed auto, the only thing I’d consider changing is the gear ratio to 4.10. The 3.73 is just not deep enough when empty and driving over rolling hills as it causes the transmission to down shift frequently, rather than lug up the hills. Now when the camper is on, I just put the Trans in 4th gear and leave it there, and seems to do really well with minimal down shifts except in the mountains. Engine RPM runs between 2200-3000 depending on speed. Now for the gas vs diesel debate dollar for dollar it is impossible to make the diesel ink out on paper when you consider price of engine, cost of servicing, gas vs diesel fuel cost difference, etc. The gasoline engine in my opinion, for truck camper applications, wins every time if for no other reason than the added cargo capacity, and cost savings. Now the Ford vs Ram debate, I actually got to look at a F350 SRW crew cab with the 7.3 gasser and looked at the door sticker and was actually a bit shocked at the cargo capacity as it was 4120 lbs; my 3500 is rated for 4069 lbs I thought that all aluminum body would put cargo capacity a little higher. As for the 7.3, if you want it get it! It is old school cam in block overhead valve, injectors in intake technology. The engine bay has good lay out, spark plugs easy to get too on drivers side, and not terribly bad on passenger side. I think the Ford 7.3 gasser is gonna sell like hot cakes! Lastly, Go check out The Fast Lane Truck YouTube channel as they have bought a F250 with the 7.3 motor and are putting it through its paces. these guys pull no punches and tell it like it is.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ford 7.3 Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.