Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: New Ford 7.3 Gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ford 7.3 Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having more cargo capacity with a gasoline verses diesel engine is only on paper. The weight difference on the rear axle is pretty much nonexistent and the same camper will cause the same amount of sag.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tfl channels on YouTube, has a few tests on the 7.3 including mpg of 3.55 and 4.30. Take a look. I expect they will have more.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

As an owner of a Ram 3500, SRW, 6.4 gasser, with 3.73 gears, and 6 speed auto, the only thing I’d consider changing is the gear ratio to 4.10. The 3.73 is just not deep enough when empty and driving over rolling hills as it causes the transmission to down shift frequently, rather than lug up the hills. Now when the camper is on, I just put the Trans in 4th gear and leave it there, and seems to do really well with minimal down shifts except in the mountains. . . .

I too have a 3500 SRW 6.4 Hemi CC 4wd with 3.73. I custom ordered the truck and had figured I would be in tow/haul mode so went with the 3.73 On hind sight, I'm in 6th most of the time on the highway so the 4.10s would have been a better choice. If/when we upgrade to a DRW, it will be same setup except 4.10s. Now once we get on the backroads, the 3.73s are much better, but the 4.10s would be the best choice. 4.30s may even be better, but think they would be too low empty.

While the oil is $8qt, but it only takes 7 and only has to be changed every ~7,800 miles, sooner if you run lower gears/higher RPMs. So not really that bad. Haven't heard of anything bad on the truck version of the 6.4.

The specs on the Ford 7.3 seem to be about the same as the 6.4 so imagine that would also be a great engine for TC application. The lower end torque is the key. While the 10 speed transmission seems like a good idea, with a load I see it shifting a lot more. So unless the bands are properly designed, I see band wear being an issue if you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time.

See my sig below for mileage and

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Ranger Tim

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will not upgrade my diesel to another one when the time comes if there continue to be offerings like the 7.3 gasser available. We have many newer diesel trucks in our fleet at work and the DPF and DEF systems continue to be a headache along with fuel pumps blowing up. Waiting for other trucks to regen is a pain. Diesel has become a much more difficult choice because of all the emissions stuff. A simpler and less maintenance intensive engine would be optimal for me since I will be retired soon. It may be a long while before my 6.0 dies, especially after all the work I have put into it, but I see the body of my 2006/200K F350 slowly deteriorating and know there are fewer miles left each year. I love my truck and I used to think a rebuild would be okay but the body may leave me no choice.

Purchasing a new truck would allow me to move to a dually and larger camper at about the same time I retire. This would suit my anticipated camping schedule. Watch me get whacked by a meteorite on my last day of work : )

Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Tim wrote:

Watch me get whacked by a meteorite on my last day of work : )

Of course, that’s why you should retire as soon as you can. [emoticon]

toddb

az

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

The specs on the Ford 7.3 seem to be about the same as the 6.4 so imagine that would also be a great engine for TC application. The lower end torque is the key. While the 10 speed transmission seems like a good idea, with a load I see it shifting a lot more. So unless the bands are properly designed, I see band wear being an issue if you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time.

See my sig below for mileage and

From what I have seen on dyno runs the hemi seems to make ~330-340lb-ft as does the 6.2, TFL shows the 7.3 putting down over 400. The fords dyno with the bulk of their torque starting around 2k rpm and the hemi seems to come around just before 3k. Just an observation of dyno runs I have researched.

Btw the last band ford had in a truck transmission was the 4r100.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the old 7.5 ford gas and couldn't imagine needing more for just a truck camper.. More than enough power and an honest 11.3 mpg with camper on doing the Idaho speed limit where I go...30 years of greatness and I'll bet the new 7.3 gas will gain the same respect the old 7.5 had..

I'd buy the new ford 7.3 in a heartbeat...

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

couldn't imagine needing more for just a truck camper..

I'd buy the new ford 7.3 in a heartbeat...

Need and want are two different things, but we all know that.

My 6.0 does just fine for me. Actually I'm quite impressed with its measly 360 hp and 380 lb/ft of torque.

I too would buy a new 7.3 in a heartbeat. But I think my heart will quit beating before I ever get one. LOL

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My 6.0 does just fine for me.

Yep,it's a great engine as well as the Ford 6.2 gas..Matched with these new transmissions they perform great with a TC on..I used my son's 6.0 HD 2500 all the time..Pulled a 30ft 8500# TT all over these hills around here..It did great..

I never have understood this posting hp/tq of a pickup like it was a '56 chevy/327 and still in high school..LOL..It's a pickup and any of these engines will work just great with any of the TC's out there..Start towing 8K+ trailers with the TC and then your getting into diesel power..I have hauled truck campers with everything from the Ford straight 6 to the 283/327/350/390/454 and the 460..They all did fantastic with a truck camper and even towing two horses back to the trail head hunting..

I have a new TC in my future or new to me but not a new pickup so I'm stuck with the old 7.5 Ford and the anemic 410 ft pounds of torque..LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Ford 7.3 Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.