Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cruise testing, I would be uncomfortable
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cruise testing, I would be uncomfortable

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a scenario.......

Put about a dozen self driving cars on a highway somewhere in bumper to bumper moving traffic @ 60 mph, in a northeast snow squall, on the first Saturday of the month after the SS checks come in and all the BH's are heading out to the beautician and grocery store.

Now interject 3 or 4 part time workers from Burger King who are driving 1987 Chevy Cavaliers with worn out brakes and bald tires into the mix, who are late for work. [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ That's funny!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Boeing is not the only one that had software failure. Airbus software failures killed lots of people as well.
Yes, but we don't stop flying or start stripping technology out of airplanes. We try to fix it and make it better.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Boeing is not the only one that had software failure. Airbus software failures killed lots of people as well.
Yes, but we don't stop flying or start stripping technology out of airplanes. We try to fix it and make it better.
That's the point in both cases it was a product brought to market to quick before the bugs were worked out. Now it's a rush to get your product out first to beat the competition. Just like I said earlier the customer is now the Beta tester.
I don't think anyone is advocating going back to a Ford tri-motor plane.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

When the highway death toll drops to insignificant numbers, when tailgating and road rage are a thing of the past, when speeding doesn't exist, you will wish this happened sooner.

Not a chance. Some prefer the experience of driving. Not just a means of getting to point B. I will never be the market for that technology.

I would have said something quite similar to you prior to experiencing auto steer on farming equipment. Now I have a hard time having to manually steer the lawn mower.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

in both cases it was a product brought to market to quick before the bugs were worked out. .
I don't think any products are brought to market with *all* the bugs worked out.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Give adaptive cruise and the other poopage a try on something like the DC or Baltimore beltway lol. Put blind faith in it. Just find a good collision guy beforehand and maybe carry some TP and wet wipes. Those systems making corrections 10 times a second can not anticipate the typical moron.

This is, and will continue to be, a huge part of the problem. In addition to the many other hurdles involved (both 'real' and 'perceived'), incrementally introducing automated driving is extremely difficult when the other cars aren't operating under the norms. We had a rental van in Los Angeles, in 2018, with adaptive cruise control. The car was so intent on keeping proper spacing between us and the car in front of us that people kept pulling into the large gap that was being maintained. Every time someone pulled in, the car would immediately slow to the point of having the desired spacing again. Another car would pull in, causing it again, and over, and over... Each slow down was jerky and uncomfortable, and we could never keep speed because the system created too much space for the norms under which the others were driving. We could not find the off switch fast enough!!

If every car were operating with the same expectations regarding speed, spacing, etc... it could likely work more fluidly. I don't doubt that tech can and will, eventually, overcome these challenges. But, the need to have both automated and human-operated vehicles on the road simultaneously creates additional issues that will be difficult to overcome in a manner that is comfortable for the average passenger.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Give adaptive cruise and the other poopage a try on something like the DC or Baltimore beltway lol. Put blind faith in it. Just find a good collision guy beforehand and maybe carry some TP and wet wipes. Those systems making corrections 10 times a second can not anticipate the typical moron.

This is, and will continue to be, a huge part of the problem. In addition to the many other hurdles involved (both 'real' and 'perceived'), incrementally introducing automated driving is extremely difficult when the other cars aren't operating under the norms. We had a rental van in Los Angeles, in 2018, with adaptive cruise control. The car was so intent on keeping proper spacing between us and the car in front of us that people kept pulling into the large gap that was being maintained. Every time someone pulled in, the car would immediately slow to the point of having the desired spacing again. Another car would pull in, causing it again, and over, and over... Each slow down was jerky and uncomfortable, and we could never keep speed because the system created too much space for the norms under which the others were driving. We could not find the off switch fast enough!!

If every car were operating with the same expectations regarding speed, spacing, etc... it could likely work more fluidly. I don't doubt that tech can and will, eventually, overcome these challenges. But, the need to have both automated and human-operated vehicles on the road simultaneously creates additional issues that will be difficult to overcome in a manner that is comfortable for the average passenger.
True, was the same problem with horse and buggies and cars a century ago.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I for 1 really like having the adaptive cruise control.

I travel for work every week and it is a HUGE factor for me, to the point that I miss it when I jump into a vehicle without it..

You just have to be aware of your surroundings, and able to react to traffic flow. IF someone pulls in front of you, either switch your lane to keep the speed, or it will slow down on you.

To me, this is completely different than self driving cars..Its more of drivers assist....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Well, I for 1 really like having the adaptive cruise control.
When non-adaptive cruise first came out in the 70s I had several buddies who wouldn't have it because it was "too dangerous."

Fine, you want to push a gas pedal for 300 miles, be my guest.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cruise testing, I would be uncomfortable
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.