Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 7.3 vs GM 6.6 fuel economy TFL video

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
TFL just posted this video.

For your entertainment. Spoiler alert, Ford lost.

Ford 7.3 vs Chevy 6.6

Honestly, I consider the test to be invalid and don't know why they bothered to post it. Apparently the trucks were tested on different days and even TFL commented about the wind. At the turn around point the Ford was getting 7.3mpg but after driving back into the wind the mileage had dropped down around 5mpg. Driving into the wind does far more damage to fuel economy than the gain you get from driving with the wind. The trucks need to be tested under similar conditions or they are wasting everyone's time.

I concede that I do prefer Fords but this comparison was ridiculous.
34 REPLIES 34

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
What really bothered me about the video was that TFL knew they had bad data due to the wind but published it anyhow. And they did that again with another test with the new hybrid Ford. That test they could have re-done in an hour but all they probably had to do was take the trailer tongue weight off the truck and fill the tank again. The tank had been filled without the trailer attached but the second fill had the trailer attached and they commented about the fuel economy seemed to good to be true. It probably was. A few years ago someone else did a similar test and later discovered that when one of the trucks had tongue weight on the hitch the tank would not fill all of the way. I suspect that the same thing happened to TFL. I feel that if they do a test and there is a clear glitch in it they shouldn't publish it. True professionals don't publish garbage.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Yikes, it sounds like it is a decent performer but that is pretty dismal fuel economy....:E

It's a HD gas truck. There's no new tech here, they're all gas hogs.

Yes any low hanging fruit has long been picked on these big gas engines. They are what they are. They make more power than they ever have, but MPG hasn't changed much and until someone comes up with a better way, it wont. MPG on these trucks doesn't matter to a lot right now, but there is no doubt the cost of gas and diesel will increase moving forward. That will start to matter to a lot more folks when gas doubles or more in price.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
So basically the test was just as subjective as all fuel mileage claims?

Shocking.
And anyone who obsesses over gas mileage in a 8000lb truck literally pulling its own weight, needs a new hobby.
Any of y’all who have experience with a lot of vehicles, know that generally the differences are subtle. And save for the most controlled tests, not reliable.

I don't think anyone is obsessed here. I think we mainly just want more information on these trucks and how that compare.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So basically the test was just as subjective as all fuel mileage claims?

Shocking.
And anyone who obsesses over gas mileage in a 8000lb truck literally pulling its own weight, needs a new hobby.
Any of y’all who have experience with a lot of vehicles, know that generally the differences are subtle. And save for the most controlled tests, not reliable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Yikes, it sounds like it is a decent performer but that is pretty dismal fuel economy....:E

It's a HD gas truck. There's no new tech here, they're all gas hogs.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
Bought a 2021 Ford F250 7.3 but will admit, absolutely love the look of new Chevy.

I'll take a new GMC before the new Chevy (which are ugly a sin)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Groover wrote:
The trucks need to be tested under similar conditions or they are wasting everyone's time.

Driving the trucks at the same time would be the most valid way of performing this type of test.

But, I drive a truck. It have it to perform a job, which is hauling / towing, so I don't give a hoot what the fuel MPG is (or isn't).
It's not my daily driver, that's why I am not terribly concerned about fuel mileage.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2021 Ford F250 7.3 but will admit, absolutely love the look of new Chevy.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Love the looks of the Chevy
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Funny. Lol. I haven't owned a reguler cab in many years. They do look normal. 20 years from now no one will ever know that! My brother still has a reguler cab also, he had to special order it as they dont have any on the lot that are not work trucks.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Have to disagree, looks good to me. Thats why i bought it. They looked the same for so many years. Actually first time i got the chevy instead of the gmc. Just take the "best looking trucks" out of your signature. Lol.

I like the looks of '20 HD. I get far more compliments in that than I do in '18 which is a good looking truck as well. I agree it is a bit of a love it or hate it look. But they are selling everyone they make, so they cant be too bad. I would agree that the GMC does look better, but I am good with the Chevy version.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Have to disagree, looks good to me. Thats why i bought it. They looked the same for so many years. Actually first time i got the chevy instead of the gmc. Just take the "best looking trucks" out of your signature. Lol.

Regular cabs are the best looking trucks. 😉

I thought the grill on mine was butt ugly when I bought it too. LOL
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I could go with a GMC.
They're not quite as ugly.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT