Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford 7.3 vs GM 6.6 fuel economy TFL video
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 7.3 vs GM 6.6 fuel economy TFL video

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

The Chevy was running non winter blend gas and probably with less winds and a heavier trailer.

The Ford was running a winter blend gas with probably higher winds and a lighter trailer.

The two samples were run so far apart in time/season, external temps, wind variation, different trailer/weight and with this many different variables this really isn't a good comparison. About the only take away is how the trucks performed pulling x amount of weight.

Not to mention only going a few miles. They need to do these over many tanks.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/20 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I've always found it amusing they use only 66 miles to figure a mpg number....and they let the trucks computer do the shifting on long climbs.

I realize many pickup owners today have no idea what gear the engine needs to be in going up or down steep grades...sooo they let the computer do the shifting for them.

The mpg test with the 6.6 and 7.3 gazzers IMO would be more accurate running 3 tanks and then take a average on the same day with the same trailer over the same highways.

I'm a big GM fan but I would say the Ford front end looks a hellz of a lot better. Good gawdz that GM trucks front is ugly.

FishOnOne wrote:

The Chevy was running non winter blend gas and probably with less winds and a heavier trailer.

The Ford was running a winter blend gas with probably higher winds and a lighter trailer.

The two samples were run so far apart in time/season, external temps, wind variation, different trailer/weight and with this many different variables this really isn't a good comparison. About the only take away is how the trucks performed pulling x amount of weight.

I guess these guys can't afford to fill the full tank. the variables on a 66 mile fuel mileage test run are too many to be at all accurate. Even if they actually accurately measured the fuel used down to the ounce.
Even with a gas engine only getting about 6 mpg that is only 11 gallons of fuel. They need to run at least 600 miles. They are likely not allowed to put that many miles on a borrowed test truck.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only more miles in operation but the vast majority of rv folks don't have a IKE to pull.....anytime. Thats a big reason their mpg tests are flawed and not indicative of actual mpg overall of any vehicle....IMO.
Do a 66 mile mpg test run in normal terrain may have a much different out come.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

GWolfe

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Not only more miles in operation but the vast majority of rv folks don't have a IKE to pull.....anytime. Thats a big reason their mpg tests are flawed and not indicative of actual mpg overall of any vehicle....IMO.

These tests were done on more level ground, not on the Ike.

2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GWolfe wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Agreed.... but the wind itself can make a big impact. My trucks highway fuel mileage on flat ground can range from 17 -22 mpg depending on wind speed and direction.

Also there’s a video on utube that a guy got 19 mpg from a 7.3 driving 22 miles which is bs.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

GWolfe wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Agreed.... but the wind itself can make a big impact. My trucks highway fuel mileage on flat ground can range from 17 -22 mpg depending on wind speed and direction.

Also there’s a video on utube that a guy got 19 mpg from a 7.3 driving 22 miles which is bs.

At least terrain repeats consistently and is valid in any comparison. Wind does not. A 30mph headwind can double your fuel consumption. Even side winds reduce fuel economy, especially if you are pulling a trailer. They did comment about the wind while driving the Ford and fuel economy changed dramatically when they turned around. It certainly appears to me that the accuracy of this test was literally blown away.

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waiting for Pick up trucks.com to do some testing. These guys are Bozos. Seemed confused when just rounding off the numbers. Not a valid test in my book.

2019 Chevy RST Silverado 1500
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2002 Sandpiper T22
04 FXDL Harley

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

test both trucks with the same weight trailer on the same day and road for a level playing field and then we'll have results that we can all talk about.

Either way i'd be surprised if the ford matched to beat the GM 6.6's fuel economy, GM has always impressed on that front in my opinion while the fords tend to have more low end and don't seem to work as hard.

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE | 12 John Deere 1023E

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/20 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the year 1996, this is the fuel efficiency I found that I depend on in still wind conditions on flat roads with my 1996 F250 7.3L diesel automatic with a 3.55 differential and a topper on the back and a loaded-for-camping gross weight of about 9,000 pounds:

23mpg solo at 55mph
21mpg solo at 70mph
14mpg towing 27-foot, 6000-pound Jayco Jayfeather at 60mph, 1500RPM
16mpg towing 27-foot, 5000-pound Airstream International at 60mph, 1500RPM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 7.3 vs GM 6.6 fuel economy TFL video
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.