cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Everglades and Big Cypress camping in Feb. - availability?

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, just starting to make plans - very late I know. I'm a tent camper and wondering should I even think about going to the Everglades, Big Cypress, and Fakahatchee area in 2nd-3rd weeks of February? I would need sites with car access - not hike-in.

What if any availability should I expect? I am completely flexible as to developed or primitive campgrounds. Would reservations be absolutely required? Recommended? Don't worry there will be plenty of room? Forget about it and start planning for next year? Any thoughts?
David Kojen
16 REPLIES 16

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Reserve America site for Collier Seminole State Park, which is in the Big Cypress but not far from Marco Island/Naples. I'm sure they have availability for tents. I know there's a washer and dryer there, I think showers, too. Good luck.

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Flamingo is anything but a swamp, more like a very large grass parking lot.

But it is surrounded by 10s of 1000s of acres of mostly wet - if not technically swamp then still not the beaches and sun and sand that most people seek. Only reason these sites were still available on 10 days notice.
David Kojen

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flamingo is anything but a swamp, more like a very large grass parking lot.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I made my reservations (got one of the last 2 tent sites at Burns Lake in Big Cypress for those dates, and also got a site at Flamingo in Everglades (the website didn't tell me how many were left) I'm set. Not everybody loves swamps I guess!

Now I get to obsess about the foolishness of sleeping in a thin tent just a few feet from gator-infested Burns Lake! Wish me luck!
David Kojen

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
JoeH wrote:
I just looked at Midway ( Big Cypress) in recreation.gov and see that pretty much all the tent sites are available for all of Feb.

And for good reason. Just think about staying in a tent next to 26 Octogenarians in RV's, who move to a different site every 10 days skirting around the max stay policy.

Sounds to me like your jealous!

Guy

Jealous? Not hardly.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
JoeH wrote:
I just looked at Midway ( Big Cypress) in recreation.gov and see that pretty much all the tent sites are available for all of Feb.

And for good reason. Just think about staying in a tent next to 26 Octogenarians in RV's, who move to a different site every 10 days skirting around the max stay policy.

Sounds to me like your jealous!

Guy

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
I can handle the Octogenarians lol it is the mosquitoes you've got me worried about now! I'm a big DEET fan and that will help. At least it's the dry season - could be worse!

Availability looks good for the tenters in the interior. I think I'll make it work!
David Kojen

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Is that a joke? Because it didn't seem to be funny.

Joke? Not really, closer to reality.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
JoeH wrote:

Is that a joke? Because it didn't seem to be funny.
Superbumper

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
They never leave Flamingo. One of the things mosquitoes key in on is CO2 from our breath. Clean burning cars of today also emit CO2. Park Rangers say after making their rounds in the evening and getting out of their car, the whole back end is black after being covered with mosquitoes! I tried to sit through a Ranger talk the last time I was there over the winter. It was mid-day but I only lasted a couple of minutes. I was being eaten alive! I'm not going back empty handed!
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well yeah, but not so bad in the winter. But still bring the DEET. My wife's family is from there, that tiny post office in Ochopee was run by her grandmother. We were there in the summer one year inside their house. I held my hand up to the window screen and when I took it down a few seconds later there was a solid black hand on the other side of the screen: mosquitoes.
Superbumper

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, bring plenty of insect repellent. The mosquitoes are very hungry! You may need to bathe in it.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System