Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alaska Highway Campgrounds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Alaska Highway Campgrounds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
roadtrek44

Stevens Point, WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I drove to Alaska 3 years ago and are planning a return trip this year. Difference is we have since purchased a Class B RV and of course will be camping along the way this time. Question: How necessary will it be to make reservations ahead of time for campgrounds along the Alaskan Highway?
Thank you for any and all advice.

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there last summer. No reservation except for Denali. You can always park in a pullover spot on the roads. Plenty of Provincial parks in Canada. We would try to get into campgrounds around 2-3 each day.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swphotobug wrote:

We were there last summer. No reservation except for Denali. You can always park in a pullover spot on the roads. Plenty of Provincial parks in Canada. We would try to get into campgrounds around 2-3 each day.

Do you have access to visit all the Alaska National Parks through it's roadways pulling an RV/trailer?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With limited roads everyone is headed the same way. We left before 9 AM to be ahead of the pack. CG sites can be limited due to Caravans.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Do you have access to visit all the Alaska National Parks through it's roadways pulling an RV/trailer?

Several of the Alaska national parks have no road access of any kind. The only options for them are flying in, boating in, and/or hiking in...or I suppose perhaps snowmobile/dogsled in the wintertime.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On both of our drives to Alaska I made a reservation at every stop on the way. That was difficult because 99% of the campgrounds were closed for the winter. What I liked about that experience was that none of those taking the reservations asked for any deposit or credit card information. That was refreshing. But when we arrived many of those campgrounds had no record of our reservation and explained that they were never full so reservations weren’t necessary. But during holidays and at popular destinations reservations were a must.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

MORSNOW

Eagle River, AK

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most popular camping time for both Americans and Canadians is July 1st and 4th week for Independence Day celebrations, so many campgrounds are full everywhere. The absolute worst place to camp on the 4th is anywhere near Seward AK, as they have the Mountain Marathon that day and it's a huge drunkfest/party.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your choice as to what you need as far as an RV park. We've driven from Delaware to Alaska and back 9 times and have NEVER had a reservation and have NEVER stayed at an RV park. Lots of pullout areas to overnight in.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW,

- As noted, lots of pullouts to use along the way.
- Except for a holiday weekend, most "campgrounds" don't get too busy. If there's only one campground with power/ water etc for 200 miles, it might get hit heavy, but most of the power only or "just a spot" CG's aren't heavily used as the norm.
- As MORSNOW indicated, avoid Seward during 4th of July. FWIW, in general, Alaska CG's near to what passes for population centers (Los Anchorage, Squarebanks, Seward, Talkeetna, Kenai) tend to get pretty ugly around Memorial Day, the 4th, and Labor Day (Memorial and Labor days depending somewhat on weather). I think Seward's the worst, but I avoid camping near Talkeetna and Fairbanks over the 4th as well.
- Purely anecdotally, an increasing number of the pullout spots on the road system in Alaska are getting some sort of signage that purportedly bars "overnight" or "camping"....don't know if it's being enforced or not.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went last summer, made no reservations except for Valdez staying a week, twice. Valdez is very popular. I would also recommend reservations in Seward and Homer. Didn't even book at Denali and stayed at Riley Creek for two nights. It was early in June. Spent quite a few nights in pullouts, by choice, not of necessity. In Canada stayed mostly at Provincial Parks.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Alaska Highway Campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.