cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for Concord Electric Series 90 TV Antenna

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 1998 Monaco Dynasty that has this tv antenna on the roof that raises up and can be rotated. In high winds, it almost blew off and was damaged. The plastic part that attaches to the metal part that raises, broke off. I always thought it was a Wineguard but the brochure says Concord series 90 electric antenna and they apparently aren't made anymore. There's a box on the inside with the Up and Down, Travel and Turn modes. Any idea where I can get a replacement or maybe a Wineguard model that is compatible? It also comes with a booster switch you turn on that amplifies the signal. The original brochure says Braund Manufacturing Company. The number, 269-965-2371 still works but technical support says they haven't made one of those motorized tv antennas in over 10 years, but she didn't have any suggestions on what to do now. Thanks for your input.
16 REPLIES 16

phays
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a Concord antenna on my 2000 Country Coach. After getting damaged by a tree limb in a campground I replaced the Concord head with a Jack. It worked fine until I could no longer get power to the head. I purchased a separate amplifier and just ran the antenna lead to this amplifier. Reception was still pretty good but I got really tired of going outside to see which way the antenna was pointed.

I had the Concord removed and the opening sealed with a metal plate and lots of Dicor. I now use an omni antenna. Not as good as the Jack but I don't have to point the antenna. I also stream Youtube TV over the internet most of the time.

For early Concord antenna owners. I was told by Concord that the amplifier does not amplify UHF signals, only VHF. So just about any new directional antenna you get will be better than the Concord.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The antenna appears to be 47.6" long.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Charles_Myatt
Explorer
Explorer
I need to locate the Sensar IV dimensions when stored in the down position. I'm considering replacing a Winegard Rayzar Z1 which has a crank in the ceiling already. That location is close to the roof edge and an air conditioner. I've tried the Winegard website and only see the installation manual without the length from the front of the base plate to the far end of the batwing when down. Width of the added piece would have to be considered also.

Charles_Myatt
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I checked here before trying to order a Winegard 360+ to replace a Rayzar Z1. Omnidirectional seems to be my problem along with my house directly between antenna and transmitter. ALSO! My favorite local channel is channel 13 VHF and I'm unable to receive it since buying a new rig. Channel 31 comes in fine from the same tower. This appears to be a VHF/UHF thing with the house in the way. My old Sensar IV on a previous rig worked fine. This has to be a height thing as both antennas were almost in the exact position.

Hope that makes since. I'm rethinking now.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Bill. I should have been a bit clearer. I meant to quote only your statement about the Concorde booster being inside the coach. The power inserter that I mentioned is not a booster but is used to send 12 volt up the coax to the booster in the antenna head. The Concorde booster can not be used if the replacement antenna has a built in booster.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_M wrote:
I have both a Winegard Sensar IV and a Jack. The Jack is mounted on a Winegard crank-up assembly. I camp virtually 100% in the boondocks, mostly in TV fringe areas. The Jack is useless for VHF stations. About 25% of the US TV stations are broadcasting on the VHF band so VHF is important. My Batwing is mounted on a separate mast and I use that for times that my Jack will not pull in the desired station. The Jack works well for UHF and most times that is all I need.

As Bill noted, the booster is inside the coach. You can not use this booster. If you use the Jack or Batwing, you must use the included power inserter.

Don't quote me. I never said that! Neither the Jack nor the Winegard has a booster inside (both use a power supply to turn on the booster inside the antenna. However, the Condorde does not have the amp in the head.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, always impresses me all the solid information members have on rv.net. Nice to see I have lots of options after my vintage Concord series 90 electric tv antenna bites the dust. Many thanks for your time helping me out. best

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
I have both a Winegard Sensar IV and a Jack. The Jack is mounted on a Winegard crank-up assembly. I camp virtually 100% in the boondocks, mostly in TV fringe areas. The Jack is useless for VHF stations. About 25% of the US TV stations are broadcasting on the VHF band so VHF is important. My Batwing is mounted on a separate mast and I use that for times that my Jack will not pull in the desired station. The Jack works well for UHF and most times that is all I need.

As Bill noted, the booster is inside the coach. You can not use this booster. If you use the Jack or Batwing, you must use the included power inserter.

I used the existing wall power booster. No issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you noted, there is not replacement for the Condorde. It was junk any as there was no amplifier in the head but instead the signal came down to a booster inside the coach.
What you have yet to learn (like I did when I removed mine) is the if you remove the Concorde there is a huge hole in the roof (6" maybe) when the electronic for the Concorde reside. That will need to be repaired/covered and then install the new antenna over that or off to the side.
If you have a location where you could relocate an antenna and have a clear ceiling space for the crank I would install the Winegard Sensar IV (Batwing) and use the existing coax for the best affordable antenna. If you want simple you can install the Winegard dome style automatic antenna and use the existing coax and 12V power using the Concord wiring

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ive read about people posting about the Jack not being good, but I've had nothing but good things about it. Me and my buddy had the winegard sensor. He added the wingman. He could never get many stations. And after the switch to digital my stations went from around 10 to 3 if I was lucky! The Jack got me more than I had before the switch to digital. And in my driveway 50 miles from downtown Chicago I went from 10 stations to 70! I changed nothing but replacement Jack. Many others have had similar results. I know you need to aim them perfectly, but if it means I get more stations that don't drop out I'll take it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
About the only RV antenna that has remote positioning is the Winegard Rayzar Automatic for about $400. If you can manage with manual positioning I would recommend the Winegard Sensar IV. It is considered the best RV antenna. It is about the only RV antenna that receives both the VHF band and UHF band well. The Jack does a poor job of receiving the VHF band. It will work for VHF if you are close to the TV transmitter sites but is a poor choice for fringe areas.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
Easiest is to replace it with a King Jack antenna.

King might be easy but Winegard is better

Without looking at your install specific recommendations are not easy but the Winegard Sensar IV outperforms all other RV antennas for long distance.. The King JACK is better if you are closer to scattered towers.

Of course Omni directional (non directional or all directional) antennas are easier still but..... Very poor range..

NONE are an exact replacement for what you have but.. a Winegard HEAD may fit upon your raiser arms. Without taking measurements I'd not be able to tell you for sure.. .I just replaced a lobbed off Winegard 3+wingman with a 4... Major improvement.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the Winegard website. They have several good antennas with various levels of service and installation effort. Some install on the roof with no additional holes through the roof and just connect to existing coax.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT