Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM wants to improve trailer brakes

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM ebrake development

As one who takes trailer brakes seriously that brings joy to my heart. I like the idea of stopping in the same distance with a trailer as you do without one.
28 REPLIES 28

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Cheapest at any cost prevails too often...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
For every one of you who say "I would gladly pay..." there are 999 others who would cry bloody murder if the price of their trailer jumped by $1000, let alone $1500. They'd expect the dealer to eat the cost, and the dealer is not going to eat the cost. The manufacturer is sure not going to eat the cost. So it doesn't happen.

Same goes with steel brake lines on vehicles. They should come with something that does not rust out and blow, but they don't, because the manufacturer won't eat the cost, the dealer won't eat the cost, and the customer isn't willing to pay the cost.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailerparts.com has self adjusting brake kits for about $80 per axle at this time. I think that I will be switching my brakes over to this set up in the spring. I can adjust my brakes in about a half hour in my camp site, and I do it about every 2000 miles. I get a lot of strange looks when I have the TT hooked up to the truck and both trailer wheels jacked up to adjust the brakes.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
If your counting on the RV industry to set the standard for quality control you are mistaken

The same issue exists if GM made brakes and other components for RV's. Automobiles have far higher regulations to meet than RV's. If GM made parts for RV's they would drop quality for the same reason RV manufacturers do. Cost and lack of regulations requiring them to do otherwise. That and the fact that RV buyers demand lower cost.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
GM ebrake development

As one who takes trailer brakes seriously that brings joy to my heart. I like the idea of stopping in the same distance with a trailer as you do without one.

If disc brakes were to become standard equipment, todayโ€™s manufacturing companies would merely go smaller, lighter, cheaper than should be on the unit.

As having self adjusting on our 2001 and then hydraulic disc on our newer, heavier unit, I concur about having superior brakes as a huge asset! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would have happily paid an extra $1K~$1500 for my trailer to include discs. That would be a bargain compared to installing them afterwards. That is a small amount compared to plowing into a heard of dear or worse, a person.
If they would install them in more trailers the economy of scale would bring the price way down though.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
Spend how many thousands to knock 40 feet off the stopping distance?
No thanks.

That 40' saves lives.
It cost $2,500.00 or so with labor to upgrade to aftermarket disc brakes. I imagine that figure could drop closer to $1,000.00 if disc were installed OEM.
I'd gladly pay $1000.00 for the improved braking. 40' is a significant improvement
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If, given the option, I'd spend $1000-1500 for disc brakes. 40 feet is the difference between stopping at the edge of the intersection vs the middle of the intersection.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Spend how many thousands to knock 40 feet off the stopping distance?
No thanks.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The experts in building RVs are experts at reducing cost as demanded by the consumer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mileshuff wrote:
As far as Im aware GM doesn't make brakes nor trailers. I'll leave both to the experts who do.

There are not many quality experts building RV's.

If your counting on the RV industry to set the standard for quality control you are mistaken
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
As far as Im aware GM doesn't make brakes nor trailers. I'll leave both to the experts who do.
Yeah? I've seen the results of leaving it "to the experts" and I am waaaaay less than impressed. No "expert" would send stuff out the door in the shape they do.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design offers disk brakes as an option on some of their trailers now.
And yes, trailer braking standard are woefully out of date. That's one reason I went with a 3/4-ton truck this time - bigger brakes.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......