Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: GM wants to improve trailer brakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> GM wants to improve trailer brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM ebrake development

As one who takes trailer brakes seriously that brings joy to my heart. I like the idea of stopping in the same distance with a trailer as you do without one.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"trailer manufacturers would need to get on board." Hahahahahaha

It appears that GM wants trailers to be equipped with disc brakes. Like that's ever going to happen. We can't even get self-adjusting drum brakes on our trailers let alone disc brakes.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"We can't even get self-adjusting drum brakes on our trailers let alone disc brakes."

Uh, I have self-adjusting brakes on my 10 year old 5th wheel.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have disc brakes on my heaviest trailer. Electric over hydraulic brakes work much better than electric drums in my experience. It cost me $1,500 for the option but every time I tow that trailer I feel that it was money well spent. I ran several red lights with the old unreliable brakes and literally feared for my life when towing heavy. I think that my life(and yours too) is worth the $1,500.

The real problem is that most people I know look at trailer brakes as something they don't really need and a wasted expense. I have been towing long enough that I can think of several cases where trailer brakes saved me and had too many close calls related to brakes not doing what was needed.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM wants to improve trailer brakes, but trailer manufacturers don't want to improve trailers other than packing them with LED light strips, cheap electronic control centers,and plastic bling.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

It appears that GM wants trailers to be equipped with disc brakes. Like that's ever going to happen. We can't even get self-adjusting drum brakes on our trailers let alone disc brakes.

I'll bet GM still makes vehicles with rear drum brakes.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My current setup does that...it all stops as one and the trailer leads the TV by the amount of TV brake pedal I dial in

'Dial in' meaning how much further the TV brake pedal is pressed

Just a touch and hold it, will have the P3 turn on the trailer brakes and voltage is at the preset

Hold it there and the TV's brakes never turn on, but the trailer brakes will continue at the preset and modified by the accelerometer's signal. Meaning it will continue to send more voltage to increase the trailer braking as long as the accelerometer senses deceleration

Press the TV's brake pedal a bit more and the above is already in the works and then the TV's brakes will turn on via how much further I press the TV brake pedal

Yes, would love to have a disc setup on the trailer, but don't currently own a trailer and just borrow them from buddies

Some I've helped rewire their trailer brakes via LAadams post: LAadams I rewired my trailer brakes thread

Unfortunately, Les used Photobucket and they are no longer a free hosting site, so the images have been blocked

The ones who didn't, I just live with it and don't borrow theirs often. When I do, adjust their trailer brakes very tight and check them throughout the trip (do that with those that have rewired)

Another OEM check off box to increase their profit margins for both initial sales and service/parts later on

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Nothing wrong with drum brakes in the right application. Seen many semi's with disc brakes?

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Nothing wrong with drum brakes in the right application. Seen many semi's with disc brakes?

Properly working electric drum brakes are excellent .... however, they often don't work properly. On the other hand, my experience with electric disc brakes is that they always work properly.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a shame trailer manufacturers don't want trailers equipped with disc brakes.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> GM wants to improve trailer brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.