Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What would cause this on a slide out?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What would cause this on a slide out?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found the PERFECT travel trailer... We just want it. Everything we like about it. We want to buy it! But it has 1 flaw. It seems as though the slide has an issue.

From the interior, if you look at the slide housing on the right hand bottom, it looks like something is "separating".

I'll post some pics below.

Also if I run my hand on the TOP of the slide TRIM on the interior, the rubber gasket that mashes against the trailer wall is REALLY smashed on the right side, but a small gap on the left.

I know something is off.

Here are some pics. (The carpet I pulled back. This is the RIGHT side, and where the rubber up top is smashed)

[image]

Another in different lighting. (Notice the wood "busting through").
[image]

Other Side (BELOW) that looks correct - This is the left side - Rubber gasket up top is gapped and not touching the interior RV wall.

[image]

Outside (just thought I'd snap photos of it)

[image]

Closer (lower)

[image]

Does anybody know what will cause the trim on the top photos to do that? Is it REAL bad? Fixable? I'm thinking that the right side extended out a bit too far and broke something (which explains the gasket on top being TIGHT on the right but not the left).

Any pointers? Suggestions? Fixable? Do we walk away from the RV because of this issue?

Thanks!

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t know what caused it, but find another one. As it doesn’t have a slide topper something could have caused the slide to skew when being retracted. How does the slide look when stowed?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Don’t know what caused it, but find another one. As it doesn’t have a slide topper something could have caused the slide to skew when being retracted. How does the slide look when stowed?

I haven't been able to see it yet. It's on a lot not plugged in. I was very concerned about the wood exposed. Looked "Caddywampus".

Also thanks to the other guy for helping resize my photos. [emoticon]

richardcoxid

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If serious in purchasing this unit I would take it to a competent indenpendent repair shop (not an RV dealer or the selling dealer) and have them look at it. It could be as simple as a adjustment to align the slide or there could be serious HIDDEN water damage! It will probably cost you $ but save you $$$$$ plus a never ending headache and a value drop to nearly ZERO!

2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richardcoxid wrote:

If serious in purchasing this unit I would take it to a competent indenpendent repair shop (not an RV dealer or the selling dealer) and have them look at it. It could be as simple as a adjustment to align the slide or there could be serious HIDDEN water damage! It will probably cost you $ but save you $$$$$ plus a never ending headache and a value drop to nearly ZERO!

Very good advice. I am serious in buying it but there's always more fish in the sea. It's hard when it seems to be the "perfect unit".

Yea, It's definitely out of alignment being the rubber gasket on the top of the slide is crunched on right side and gapped on the other side. It may be an adjustment... I'm concerned though that something of great pressure "broke" or "pressed" the square into a parallelogram of sorts. Going from | | to / / It's hard to tell. The other side seems straight though.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May be damage done by driving on rough roads or in very windy weather without the locking bars in place.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If serious I doubt the dealer will let you take it on a test drive. Find a reputable Mobile RV tech and pay him to look at it. If it a simple adjust men he should be able to tell you, if not you just saved thousands to find a good one. Spending that much a hundred to be sure is a really small %.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

May be damage done by driving without the locking bars in place.

Locking bars for slides haven't been used for years.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

SUMRX4

VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/20 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i cant see the issue you are sepaking of with teh rubber seal on the exterior but as far as the inside, I'm guessing someone extreded the slide but something was between the trailer wall and that trim of the slide and it pushed it off the slide slightly. I did that exact thing in mine but I saw it immediatly and it only moved about a foot of the material closest to the floor and unless you look for it you can't even see it.
I'm with some others also, have an independant repairman look at it and get his thoughts. On tell the dealer you will purchase it if those items are remedied. If they aren't willing to do so then find another dealer. Look long enough and you will find another one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What would cause this on a slide out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.