cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

timbrens

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing the air bags on my F-350 and have a question..

My fiver is around 3k pin depending on trip.. The truck squats a little bit when loaded, I was thinking of going Timbren this time around...

Anyone have good-bad experiences?
Are they leveling the truck as stated?

All my weights are in order, so let's not go there.. just purely a leveling helper....
47 REPLIES 47

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would agree air bags do effect unloaded ride BUT ONLY if you are airing more than 0-5 psi.

I know that other people have reported different experiences but I ruined the backseat ride of two F150s by putting in 5K airbags. It wasn't nearly as noticeable in the front seat. I had to pull them out of one of the trucks before my wife would get back in it. I found 2K airbags to be much more tolerable but still up to the task.

Huh?
This is laughable. Umm, if you let the air out they don't hold the truck up.
And even if the "5psi minimum" is what turned your F150 into a lumber wagon, let the air out. The springs "could" get pinched.....if you bottom out the suspension.
How often do you bottom out the suspension.

Learn how stuff works before condemning it. And if you were actually maintaining more pressure than that, not sure what you expected.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the follow up, often times the story never gets completed and you are left hanging on what was actually done.

I've got a set of Air Lift 5000 on my "15" F-350.. they have the internal jounce so they can be aired to zero without harm.

Was gonna swap them to the new truck, but all the mounting screws and brackets have seen better days. The Brine they apply to our roads here in the NE just kills anything metal that is not treated..

My "20" will have the Firestone Air Ride, Automatic Kit to allow me to air up and down remotely with an on-board compressor.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would agree air bags do effect unloaded ride BUT ONLY if you are airing more than 0-5 psi.

I know that other people have reported different experiences but I ruined the backseat ride of two F150s by putting in 5K airbags. It wasn't nearly as noticeable in the front seat. I had to pull them out of one of the trucks before my wife would get back in it. I found 2K airbags to be much more tolerable but still up to the task.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Aka the breeze wrote:
OP here..

I decided to keep the original set of bags and manually fill them before a tow..

I could not justify the cost to upgrade to a compressor system, or Timbrens at this time..

Thanks for all the suggestions .

I expect that you could air up and down a lot of times for the effort required to remove the bags and install something else.

Air bags change the ride because they are connected to the axel and frame empty or not. Timebrens only in use when loaded
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aka the breeze wrote:
OP here..

I decided to keep the original set of bags and manually fill them before a tow..

I could not justify the cost to upgrade to a compressor system, or Timbrens at this time..

I expect that you could air up and down a lot of times for the effort required to remove the bags and install something else.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Used them on two trucks. Work very well. Better than air bags for when unloaded.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
OP here..

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
Aka the breeze wrote:
I am replacing the air bags on my F-350 and have a question..

My fiver is around 3k pin depending on trip.. The truck squats a little bit when loaded, I was thinking of going Timbren this time around...

Anyone have good-bad experiences?
Are they leveling the truck as stated?

All my weights are in order, so let's not go there.. just purely a leveling helper....

Thumbs up for the Timbrens!!
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
People really should not compare air bags with Timbrens. They're 2 completely different animals with entirely different approaches. In some cases Timbrens might work fine for you and in other cases you're really much better off with air bags. Depends on the setup.

Different approach to address the same issue. Nothing wrong with comparing. Really dont see any logic in your argument here.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Aka the breeze wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback... How about lower Stable Loads? I see they now have stainless steel version. not sure how they work?

Lower Stableloads allow the lower overload to work with less load on the truck.

Without lower Stableoads, the truck has to squat A LOT in order for the lower overload spring to take effect. Lower stableloads reduce the space between the lower overload leaf and the main spring pack. They allow the lower overload spring to start working with less load on the truck.

I love the lower Stableloads on my truck. I've had them for getting close to 10 years. They did far more for controlling the ride than the airbags I wasted money on. Airbags unloaded the suspension when hauling my 4500lb house in the truck bed.

Part way into this video I mention the stableloads.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
People really should not compare air bags with Timbrens. They're 2 completely different animals with entirely different approaches. In some cases Timbrens might work fine for you and in other cases you're really much better off with air bags. Depends on the setup.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I HAD Timbrens,, I now have AirLift 5000.. Not sure I would go back to Timbren Style... Although, I like the idea of being lazy and not wanting to air up and down each tow...

In cab controls! Air compressor under along with air horns = GOLDEN.

YUP... reached out to Airlift folks to see when they would have fitment info for the 2020, as they are not showing any.

Was debating on putting the wireless in the new truck when it comes in

Wireless is the only way to go , I run the Airlift 72000 Compressor system. No air lines ,electrical etc inside the cab, just the remote control. And the nice thing about it ,not at the mercy of whatever a OE system wants to do. Complete control of air pressure ,ride height etc.

I THINK the newer sets nay have an app on the phone ? That would be nice

It appears they do, googling the Airlift 72000, that would also be a nice feature. Although mine is just controlled by the remote control , it has memory settings, or just manual control, many times I have changed the pressure plus or minus 10 psi, and improved the ride. Lots of advantages to have control of just the air pressure on a air bag system.