Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crazy Parts Prices from Manufacturers

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recent eye-opener.

Got a burnt out marker light on my Demco dolly on my last trip. Called Demco, parts dude quoted me $30 (plus shipping) :R.

Went on Amazon & got the OEM part for about $7 shipped.

I can see some mark up but my goodness.... don't these companies realize there's such thing nowadays as the internet?
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
10 REPLIES 10

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Go into NAPA, "I need oil filter for 2016 Ford, F53, V-10." "You mean an F-350?" Back and forth with this, still can't find it. He ask me again and I replied "No, F53, it is a motor home chassis." He finally produces one.

I get home and get online to NAPA, select my MH in my profile, search for oil filter, yep there it is. At least I was given the proper filter.

Then on the other hand I have gone in with a bearing out of my utility trailer, the number mostly obscured, guy looks at it, takes some calipers and measures it, and tells me to give him some time. I told him no rush, I'm going to go get a sandwich and I'll be back in half hour or so. Had it on the counter when I got back.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I like shifting a clutching automatic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mowermech - It's like a meme I recently saw where someone goes into an Autozone needing to replace the clutch in their 19-whatever-year BMW car. Autozone dude asks them if the car is a standard or automatic.......

Sad part is I would bet that really happened.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, a nice, shiny, brand new AutoZone opened near me.
When a fog light (3 inch sealed beam) on the motorhome burned out, I thought I would give them a try, so I popped the old one out and took it in.
Me: (holding the sealed beam up for the counterman to see) I need one of those.
Counterman, moving towards computer: What is it out of?
Me: 2002 Fleetwood motorhome.
Counterman, turning away from computer: Oh, I don't have parts for one of those!
He didn't look at the GE number on the bulb, made no effort to find out if he had one or a similar one!
Me: OK (turned and left).
I have never been back.
I often wonder, though, what he would have said if I had been looking for parts for the Ford engine or transmission...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't dump on the parts people, they have to follow the rules and go by whatever the computer tells them. Yes, patrs and accessory pricing can be ridiculous. I ran a fleet of light and medium duty trucks, a ten ply pickup tire listed at $245. I paid $156 and the dealer made money, it was obscene. I have met very knowledgable counter persons, others would have trouble tying their shoes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œdon't these companies realize there's such thing nowadays as the internet?โ€

Canโ€™t think of a business that doesnโ€™t offer some service or part that they really donโ€™t want to perform or sell. Itโ€™s so they can say โ€œwe sell parts or weโ€™ll service or fix it.โ€ This isnโ€™t a new trend...well known.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Shop, shop, shop. When I was looking for a baseplate for our Explorer I found the prices varied by $100 and in between. The cheapest ended up being from Walmart (actually someone that sells through Walmartโ€™s site). It was a new Roadmaster baseplate in OE packaging.

It pays to shop around.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are not a parts supply house. They offer spare parts as a โ€œcourtesyโ€ for their customers. Itโ€™s not worth their time to provide competitive pricing, or try to compete with Amazon, eBay, Walmart.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's like people who buy Harbor Freight tools then sell them on Ebay for twice what they paid at Harbor Freight or elsewhere.

If they get their asking price, good. If not, they can lower the price and still make money.

It pays to shop around.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Powertour wrote:
Recent eye-opener.

Got a burnt out marker light on my Demco dolly on my last trip. Called Demco, parts dude quoted me $30 (plus shipping) :R.

Went on Amazon & got the OEM part for about $7 shipped.

I can see some mark up but my goodness.... don't these companies realize there's such thing nowadays as the internet?

They don't care. If your stupid enough to pay their asking price then they make a lot of money, if you don't oh well they get their paycheck at the end of the week. Parts people are some of the dumbest marketing people on the face of the earth.

I had to deal with them during my career in the automotive industry and not one had any idea of customer service or marketing.