cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wolf Creek Pass vs. Coal Bank & Molas Passes

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
How does Wolf Creek Pass from South Fork to Durango compare to Coal Bank & Molas Passes from Durango to Silverton, CO?
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S
11 REPLIES 11

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live in Colorado and worked in every western state. Colorado sets the standard for tough roads. I agree that Red Mountain Pass is one of the hardest paved roads. None of them are for the faint of heart. Weather can be terrible in any month.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Most critical issue is the time of the year and the weather

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the opinions. We do the passes to Silverton almost every year but have friends to visit this year in South Fork. So, a week there and on to Silverton.
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
wildbyon wrote:
How does Wolf Creek Pass from South Fork to Durango compare to Coal Bank & Molas Passes from Durango to Silverton, CO?

US 160 and Wolf Creek Pass tops out at ~10800 feet and is 3- and 4-lane roadway. It's nowhere near as bad as legend has it, or it was in the past. Yes, it's a steep pass on the west side, but it's not difficult and there are runaway truck ramps. 2 climb lanes on the eastbound side west of the summit, 2 lanes going down. 2 climb lanes westbound on the east side of the summit, 1 and 2 lanes going down. No shelf road to speak of, IIRC, there are guardrails all the way, and there are some cool pull offs for those photo ops.

US 550, Coal Bank Pass (~10600 feet) and Molas Pass (~10900 feet), is 2 lane roadway all the way to Silerton. IMO, Coal Bank is "meh", is barely noticeable as Colorado Passes go. Molas has a nice overlook parking area, and there's an amazing campground north of the pass (seasonal). Neither are as daunting as their 3rd companion...Red Mountain Pass. That pass itself is not so bad, it's the portion from the summit north to Ouray that is the stuff of legends and much discussion on this and other message boards. Tight switchbacks, avalanche shoots and shelf road with no guardrails and steep drop offs. Yes, truckers and buses do it all the time...and they are professional drivers, accustomed to it. Experienced drivers can handle it.

^^^^^^^^^^ I Agree Great Summary ^^^^^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
The difference to me is that Wolf Creek Pass is among the "normal" highway passes (such as Monarch) in Colorado. US 550 is more of an adventure--a great adventure.

I had put off towing a fifth-wheel on the "Million Dollar Highway" until a few years ago. I thought I could do it, but I never really needed to as I always went back through Montrose and Gunnison. But that year we had no need to go back that way and I decided that now was the time. It was great! September and the Aspens were glowing. We had some "wintery mix" at the top of several of the passes.

Unfortunately, I was 84 years old at the time and I should not have waited so long. But I'm glad I finally did it.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf Creek is not an issue I run that both ways with relatives in Alamosa & Durango pulling my 35ft 5W. We drove to Silverton from Durango last year on a day trip. Really enjoyed town but that road is narrow and has many really sharp turns, I did see several RV's. I would take my 5W and plan on plenty of time to get there, it will be a really slow trip.

Wolf Creek early Oct heading to Alamosa 4" at the summit, watch the weather!!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
My comment on Red Mountain Pass is that it seems to make it's own weather and it is bad weather for the most part. We've been over it maybe 10 or 12 times and I only recall it being sunny once. And this is in June-August. Usually cold rain and occasionally blowing snow.
The road itself has never been a problem for me. But I've been driving mountain roads since the 1970's tho and am immune to no rails, steep drops and switchbacks. Stop at the roadside exhibit and read about the mountain, it has many miles of tunnels inside.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildbyon wrote:

US 160 and Wolf Creek Pass tops out at ~10800 feet and is 3- and 4-lane roadway. It's nowhere near as bad as legend has it, or it was in the past. Yes, it's a steep pass on the west side, but it's not difficult and there are runaway truck ramps. 2 climb lanes on the eastbound side west of the summit, 2 lanes going down. 2 climb lanes westbound on the east side of the summit, 1 and 2 lanes going down. No shelf road to speak of, IIRC, there are guardrails all the way, and there are some cool pull offs for those photo ops.

US 550, Coal Bank Pass (~10600 feet) and Molas Pass (~10900 feet), is 2 lane roadway all the way to Silverton. IMO, Coal Bank is "meh", is barely noticeable as Colorado Passes go. Molas has a nice overlook parking area, and there's an amazing campground north of the pass (seasonal). Neither are as daunting as their 3rd companion...Red Mountain Pass. That pass itself is not so bad, it's the portion from the summit north to Ouray that is the stuff of legends and much discussion on this and other message boards. Tight switchbacks, avalanche chutes and shelf road with no guardrails and steep drop offs. Yes, truckers and buses do it all the time...and they are professional drivers, accustomed to it. Experienced drivers can handle it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 160 is wider and straighter than 550. Both are good but 550 has smaller shoulders in some sections & tighter turns.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
For scenic beauty or ease of driving?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about the others but we've been across Wolf Creek a number of times pulling a 34 ft fiver with no trouble. Sometimes it is windy and stormy with snow possible in the summer but the new road itself is not a problem. Unlike the song, who's writer was referring to the old road and may never have been across it in the first place.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper