cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding Mail

COMudturtle
Explorer
Explorer
We are preparing to start full time RVing in our 5th wheel unit. 1. Looking for an organization in Colorado that provides forward mail to us while on the road. We currently live in Colorado and want to maintain our Colorado residency. 2. We are planning on selling our property. Our son lives in Colorado. Is it permissible and legal for us to use his home address as our legal residence? Thank you for your time and effort in helping us.
15 REPLIES 15

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
OP is gone.
When I first saw a topic by a brand new member that had been discussed a hundred times I was wondering if it is yet another idiot having their own special kind of fun.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sadly, mail forwarding by the USPS is not reliable. It might work in smaller communities but it seems to be a totally manual system that does not work in larger communities. When I sold my house and wanted the mail forwarded to my mail handling service in South Dakota, the Post Office could not make it happen. I visited the post office 3 times but the mail just kept being dropped in my old box even after we moved out and there were new home owners.

Eventually a major piece of mail with a large check was not forwarded and was eventually returned to the sender. I found out a couple of years later when the IRS sent me a notice that I filed incorrectly and owed a major amount of capital gains.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a mail forwarding service does NOT change your residency. You can keep your residency where it is, but use a mail service from any state to receive your mail. You will need a residence address (could use son's) and would always list both the resident and mail address on anything you do including taxes. To become a resident somewhere else you would have to do other things just as if you were actually moving.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
magicbus wrote:
Now in Massachusetts when you register for a drivers license they automatically register you to vote. As far as legal residency I have always found it to be where ever you filed your Federal Taxes from.

If you get a Mass License, presumably, you have moved there.

I'm talking about it you don't get a new legal residence. More typical of expats living overseas but possible with an RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our house and used our sons address for a few months until we bought another house in his state. When we moved to our new house my wife turned in a change of address for her and I as INDIVIDUALS, not for the whole family. Well next thing you know our illustrious dipsticks at the Usps started sending his mail to our house like he had also moved.

I went to our post office and the lady verified that my wife filed us as individuals and his mail shouldn’t have changed. I showed her all his mail and she shrugged her shoulders and said tell your son to call his post office. So my son went to his post office and they verified that he had not moved and that my wife and I moved as individuals. It continued on and I sent all my sons mail to him a few times. The next thing that happened is that my dil was at a gas station and her credit card wouldn’t work.

My son left work to go get her and then called Chase to see why the cc wouldn’t work. They said that the Usps had notified them of my sons address change so the zip code that she was entering at the pump was wrong. He then went to the post office and put in a change of address from my house to his house and the mail seems to be subsiding at my house. You can’t fix stupid when it comes to gov run agencies. No more using anyone’s address even for forwarding, I’ll go with the escapees mail service next time.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
magicbus wrote:
. I recently received a letter from (IRS) them saying I owed money because of a mistake they made in their instructions on some form I used for 2018.
If you filed by mail, I could understand that, but if you filed electronically, that "letter" should go to the email of the person who filed.
No. I E-filed and the letter and subsequent bill were only snail-mailed to the address on my tax form. I think part of the reason is to also notify my wife (joint filers) in case she was unaware (which she was but so was I!) 🙂

Dave

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
. I recently received a letter from (IRS) them saying I owed money because of a mistake they made in their instructions on some form I used for 2018.
If you filed by mail, I could understand that, but if you filed electronically, that "letter" should go to the email of the person who filed.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Do everything you can to avoid paper mail.. especially bills. You're going to get some surprises as to how long mail can actually take when you need it most.
Good advice. One piece of paper mail you do not want to miss is a letter from the IRS. This will go to the address you use on your taxes so you need that to be reliable. You can create an online account but you would need to check it at least monthly. I recently received a letter from them saying I owed money because of a mistake they made in their instructions on some form I used for 2018. I updated TurboTax and sure enough owed money. You really don’t want to miss letters from the IRS and you never know when they will show up.

BTW, if your son handles your mail or you use a service, make sure to use the USPS moving/forwarding service to your new “address”.

Dave

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Do everything you can to avoid paper mail.. especially bills. You're going to get some surprises as to how long mail can actually take when you need it most.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Your legal residency in terms of voting rights stays with the last state where you were officially a resident anyway.
Now in Massachusetts when you register for a drivers license they automatically register you to vote. As far as legal residency I have always found it to be where ever you filed your Federal Taxes from.

My drivers lic has my mailing address which by the way can be anywhere you want it to be
Unless you need to have your DL at your stick house this might be true. When I moved to Florida and wanted to claim my resident status for the real estate tax freeze they wanted bills and my DL both with my home address. Same here on Nantucket where I now live when I went to get my 40% primary home tax exemption and then my cheap ferry tickets for running back to America to shop.

Since the OP isn't playing any games trying to avoid anything I would suggest just using their son's address for taxes and voting. If they don't want him to be bothered with forwarding their mail then just use one of the services for that piece.

Dave

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
COMudturtle wrote:
We are preparing to start full time RVing in our 5th wheel unit. 1. Looking for an organization in Colorado that provides forward mail to us while on the road. We currently live in Colorado and want to maintain our Colorado residency. 2. We are planning on selling our property. Our son lives in Colorado. Is it permissible and legal for us to use his home address as our legal residence? Thank you for your time and effort in helping us.

Yes, it is allowable to use your son's address. We used my parents and then my sisters since 2007. In fact the State of Michigan demanded we provide an address (not PO Box) in order to renew our drivers license. Obviously, make sure your son is OK and will forward any mail that winds up there as a result.

Your legal residency in terms of voting rights stays with the last state where you were officially a resident anyway.

There are mail forwarding services (SD & FL are most popular) and they can give you an address to act as a residence. SD & FL are popular due to no income tax...but be careful of other costs.

DMV's and insurance companies want a physical address. When I moved from CA to AZ I gave them an address of a campground for my physical and my mail drop for mailing address and the MVD and insurance co were fine with it and I told them do not send any mail to my physical address. Now that I have a stick house that became my physical. My drivers lic has my mailing address which by the way can be anywhere you want it to be
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Curious with Colorado having a state income tax why not move your official residence to a state with no income tax. This why you see so many RV's with license plates from South Dakota, Texas and Florida

"Most states—41 in all—impose a broad-based individual income tax. Only seven lack an income tax altogether: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. Tennessee and New Hampshire fall into a gray area. They tax dividend and interest income, but not earned income"
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have available a CO address to maintain residency there is no need to have your mail forwarding service in CO.